Author Topic: New vise for the shop  (Read 10618 times)

Offline boostaddiction

New vise for the shop
« on: October 16, 2018, 03:16:23 PM »
My experience with Kickstarter and the like has been hit-and-miss, but this is one crowd-funded project that came through.

Called the Makers Vise, it is targeted at small, precise work that can be done in a clean space- the opposite of how I use my big Wilton vise that is bolted to the welding table.

It is made of billet aluminum (my favorite color), and has a great feel through the adjustment knob. 

It also has replaceable jaws, which can be 3D-printed for different applications. I kind of like the idea of being able to make my own jaws for specific tasks.

Offline Cruiser808

Re: New vise for the shop
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 03:34:02 PM »
Huh?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 06:50:14 PM »
It's a great precision vise Will; they are pretty spendy when purchased new.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 08:13:32 AM »
Pic comes through jumbo on my PC and its hard to envision the vise.  Cool that is it is made of aluminum and that jaws can be made

Here is a better link  https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2012837180/the-makers-vise-the-most-general-purpose-hobby-vis

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 10:01:40 AM »
Thats cool but spendy just looking at it.

Panavise might be similar.  I use a small 2.5" Chinese thing I picked up a decade or more ago and cannot kill it.  Not as trick, not even close but for home uses it has assisted in as precise as I go to use as an anvil.  I would not expect the same result with any alu vise.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 01:44:56 PM »
I get an unusably large image as well - I copied the image and attached it to this post.

Looks like a neat vise and don't take this wrong but what does this do another precision vise doesn't? Most seem to have removable jaws and you could print or make new jaws for them. Not being critical just asking.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline boostaddiction

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 07:08:19 PM »
Thanks for the resize, Ray. I didn't know it was going to be in King Kong size mode.

J.A.F.E, it's just a neat vise for small tasks. Unlike my big Wilton, I can move it around as needed on my precision working surfaces, and I like the feel and scale.

I'm sure there are other small vises like the Panavise that might do as well, but they aren't billet, and the ones I've seen and used don't have the feel this one does.

Sometimes you appreciate a tool for how it looks and feels, and this is one of those tools for me.

Offline Cruiser808

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 11:40:31 PM »
Huh?

Thanks Steve, now I understand what we're talking about.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2018, 12:43:17 AM »
My pleasure.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2018, 08:30:29 AM »
Sometimes you appreciate a tool for how it looks and feels, and this is one of those tools for me.

That is so true.  I think most here will agree,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,or we wouldn't be on a tool forum :))

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2018, 08:55:15 AM »
I fully agree that to a person with a demonstrated need there is no substitute for precise and exactly correct.

We all have items in our lives that demand to be exactly right.  If someone took my shaving kit and gave me a bag of disposables instead I'd be pissed.
    In tools I am the archeologist and really had to see how grandad did it with his available tools.  How he made it all seem so easy.

Yup.  It even works in today's world with a few required tweaks. But precision it was not.  We mic out our tools to see what each is and he asked "does it fit?". 

A big step inside the mind to get from one to the other.