Author Topic: Cool Tekton angle wrench page  (Read 4411 times)

Offline bonneyman

Cool Tekton angle wrench page
« on: December 19, 2018, 05:14:22 PM »
They go into some detail as to why they made their angle wrenches the way they did and how their manufacturing makes the tools better than the competition.    8)

https://www.tekton.com/angle-head-open-end-wrenches

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
Re: Cool Tekton angle wrench page
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2018, 10:57:50 PM »
Those are bold claims. The 30/60 heads has always set snappy away from the pack, but now they seem to have competition. And with the boasting of being US made, I made get a set to abuse.

Greyson

Offline muddy

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2018, 05:53:02 AM »
The snap on a are great...in certain situations. But I often find a regular angle works better in other spots. That notch Tekton has on them looks like it could be a an answer to some frustrations with the snap ons

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2018, 08:35:09 AM »
I was especially intrigued by the differing jaw thicknesses to maximize strength but minimize size restrictions. To the naked eye they look pretty much the same, but a few thousandth's here and there is bound to make a difference. And the larger radius curve on the bite side to "spread" the stress over a larger area sounds alot like Wright's Wright Grip. (Even though angle wrenches aren't used for their leverage anyways).

I'd really like to get some, but it just isn't in the cards money wise. Plus I'm so invested in Bonney (and I have spares) there's little chance of turning back now.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:37:28 AM by bonneyman »

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 10:12:57 AM »
Snappys are hard to beat. They've saved me many times in awful positions. I've never had one spread, even standing on it. These don't look forged to size, just laser cut, I wonder how that will effect their ultimate strength?

I have a piece meal set of them, and have been wanting a full matched set to at least 1 1/2". My snappy man says its about the only item he has never once seen them on promo. I think it's well over $2k for the set to 2".

Greyson

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 11:03:17 AM »

......My snappy man says its about the only item he has never once seen them on promo. I think it's well over $2k for the set to 2".

Greyson

Yes, when you go over 1" in size, Snap-On prices go absolutely stratospheric. They are unique though. I've seen some in a factory setting getting abused with cheaters and multiple guys hanging on the cheater pipe -- that damn SO open end would not spread.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 12:18:08 PM »
Yes, Snappy has had the 30 60 degree head and they are likely the best angles.

As to snappy's not spreading, my inventor buddy says it is due to the steel they use.  It is harder then anybody elses and if it starts to spread, it will break, just the nature of the metallurgy.

Tekton makes a strong argument for their design and I would think they would be great.  They should sell well if marketed well

Offline highland512

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 10:38:40 AM »
I was at a trade show over the weekend and Tekton was set up showing off all of their stuff. I checked out these new angle wrench sets and wow!! I would love to see how these cut wrenches perform compared to forged but at as far as fit and finished is concerned, these wrenches are top notch. The finish is smooth and the chrome is a beautiful and deep like SK super chrome. If Tekton can get these on the streets where people can handle them before they buy they will have a real winner. I could see a set of these in my box and I wounder if they will start making more main lines in the USA??

Offline Hootbro

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2019, 08:00:43 AM »
Those are one of those tools that will spend 20+ years unused but are worth their weight in gold the time you need it.