Author Topic: Any old Chrysler Dodge guys on here?  (Read 2927 times)

Offline walrus

Any old Chrysler Dodge guys on here?
« on: December 03, 2020, 03:20:35 PM »
Looking for some help on old Chrysler flat heads. I have 1952 R12 Bombardier, 251 flat head, engine is stuck, spun a bearing I think. Think I have found a 218 out of a 1950 Dodge PU.  This engine is whole, still in truck, supposedly ran a few years ago. Not sure I believe that but maybe.  If it isn't stuck I'm fairly confident it will run but I think its about 15  hp less than 251. Not sure what kind of difference if any that would make?  I'm also not sure if I can just bolt it in place or is there differences? I know the 218 is 23inch head and 251 is a 25 inch head.  BTW Chrysler made flat heads into the late 60s, never knew that until I started researching this issue.

Offline muddy

Re: Any old Chrysler Dodge guys on here?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 06:01:45 PM »
I'm a Chrysler/Dodge guy..... But that a bit old for me. With out seeing them side by side I couldn't tell you if it'll work or not.

15hp? You would probably noticed that, but if your current motor is locked up it'll be a huge difference :))

Sent from the twisted mind of the Mudman

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 06:57:46 PM »
I had to look that up and what a cool ride for your area. Good luck on the engine.

<iframe width="1189" height="669" src=" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Offline john k

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 11:09:15 PM »
There is a guy up north, that has a bombardier,  King of Obsolete.  He might know of the differences.  From what Ive read about them, a 15 hp drop might really affect performance.  Massey Harris combines were known to use Dodge annd Continental engines. 

Offline walrus

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2020, 05:24:10 AM »
There is a guy up north, that has a bombardier,  King of Obsolete.  He might know of the differences.  From what Ive read about them, a 15 hp drop might really affect performance.  Massey Harris combines were known to use Dodge annd Continental engines.
King has a ford 300 6 in his I believe. I can't remember for sure but his isn't stock. I've talked to him about them. He bought his already converted. His also has an automatic tranny. Stock,  These things are underpowered for their weight. They put 318 actually 319 industrial engines and torqueflights in them in later models.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk