Author Topic: “The standard of the world.” 1914 Cadillac  (Read 942 times)

Offline oldcarguy

“The standard of the world.” 1914 Cadillac
« on: September 03, 2023, 08:25:41 PM »
What once was a dream. Or nightmare to many. It all started some 30 years ago. I found this 110 year old piece of history in a vacant field in North Carolina.

After clearing some brush away

An 8" tree was growing between the rear axles and gas tank. Borrowed a chain saw to cut it down.
And a backhoe to pull it off the stump

After dragging it out of the woods, cleaned it up and ready winch into my trailer and return to Ohio.

Twenty some years later I have:

Today look what's tucked away in my trailer pulled by my coach. Setting out a new chapter in the dream... I'll be leaving for Michigan in a few days. And will be exploring 250 miles of their country side. Followed by two days of car showing. Packing the 'old gal up in the trailer and driving upper New York state. Rolling her out for a week enjoying and clocking up another 500 miles seeing the sights and sounds. Ending my season of touring the outskirts of Lancaster Pennsylvania. 

When I return I'll post more about this vintage Cadillac..

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
Re: “The standard of the world.” 1914 Cadillac
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2023, 04:00:41 AM »
What you've accomplished with that car is truly amazing!  I remember you sharing photos of the car years ago along with various things like adding the starter, but I don't think I've seen photos of the car when you first acquired it.  It's a beauty now.

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2023, 10:29:56 AM »
What you've accomplished with that car is truly amazing!  I remember you sharing photos of the car years ago along with various things like adding the starter, but I don't think I've seen photos of the car when you first acquired it.  It's a beauty now.

Thanks Bugmeister. All 1914 Cadillac's came with a Self Starters (Starter Motors) as standard from the factory. Good memory, just mixed up cars a little. I documented two starter motor installations over the years. You must have been thinking of one of the following..

1910 Buick Model F

1910 Buick Model F Apposed 159 cubic inch two-cylinder OHV underneath passenger side (Left Hand)

1911 Mercedes

1911 Mercedes four-cylinder 7.5 liter T-head Engine. Exhaust valves and intake valves opposite side of engine. Thinking at the time made better flow of gasses.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2023, 11:41:25 AM »
Wonderfull, if only they could talk . I `d love to know the history on the caddy.
From a caddy guy lol.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2023, 03:05:44 PM »
Absolutely fantastic car OCG! You are truly a craftsman --

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2023, 04:55:14 PM »
That is a piece of art.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline muddy

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2023, 07:31:41 PM »
Amazing job!

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline Elroy

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2023, 04:04:12 PM »
That's some fine work that took a lot of long term dedication. Simply excellent  :clap:

Offline john k

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2023, 11:11:47 PM »
Am thinking it took as long to find the parts, as to do the restoration.  You finished a gem!

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2023, 02:39:03 PM »
In my travels over the past five days in my 1914 Cadillac covering 250 miles in two days. The best view of these old cars is from behind the steering wheel!  I had the chance to explore several great companies along with a Automotive Vocational School. Below is an antique car restorer. Please notice how clean and organized it looks. They are very successful and have a huge backlog of customers.. I would not be hesitant to put thousands of dollars into their shop. Knowing anything they touch turns into a pristine car!

Another example is a private collector that likes to build street rods and antique cars. Once again notice the shop... One of his garages has a dirt floor. Yet you'll see how he stores the transmissions.

Another example is a larger shop that rebuilds Diesel Locomotive and boat engines. Like 12, 16, 20 cylinders with10” bores and 12” strokes. These engines are rebuilt 25 times before they're trash. This is the tear down area...Not much mess here.

Assembly area

Here is a company that specializes in making high powered cars even more powerful. They have a five-axis CNC machine that used to re-bore manifolds. The Cadillac has an amazing amount of power. Like 1,000 HP and uses their dynanometer to test the outputs. Very clean I'd say..

Lastly I toured a High School Automotive Vocational School. The teacher is very outstanding. Students are lined up to register here. Even computer tech kids want to learn about auto mechanics. The teacher stresses the importance of doing it right the first time. Respecting tools and a clean working environment.. Notice the new Hunter four-wheel alignment rack! SWEET! In a high school no less.. Sure wish I had the opportunity to  attend classes there. Graduates here don't need to worry about getting a job. Nor huge loans to pay off!

Offline john k

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2023, 03:17:41 PM »
An incredible trip, for me.  The high-performance shop with Cadillac, I wonder why the black ceiling and dark floor?  Seems like they are wasting lots of light reflection.  The individuals restoration shop,  with the "A" roadster on saw horses.  I notice that it has an OHV aftermarket head,  going to be an interesting car when finished.  The shops are all clean and orderly,  like the tech school I graduated from.  Glad your trip went well. 

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2023, 08:19:44 PM »
Really cool pictures and write up. Thanks for sharing.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.