Author Topic: Mazda B2600 R12 AC system leak check --  (Read 4476 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Mazda B2600 R12 AC system leak check --
« on: July 10, 2019, 03:51:39 PM »
This Mazda AC system has been running great on a cheap R12 subsitute (cheap keyboard duster gas) for over five years. It hasn't been driven much this summer, but when i finally did take it for a drive I noticed that the AC wasn't as cold as before. This thing gets to freezing and when working properly, it has the coldest AC in our family fleet -- next to my Caddy DTS. So when it's just blowing cool air there is something wrong.

I checked the belts and hooked up the gauges and found I was low on gas -- so there is a leak somewhere. A quick stop at the local NAPA found this little R134a dye injector kit and along with an R12-R134a conversion adapter I was able to inject some dye into the low side port of this R12 system

Hook up the gauges and the air duster can, turn on the compressor, and add refrigerant through the adapter -- it will suck the dye and the refrigerant into the system. Cool little setup.

It's blowing cold again, and after a few days I'll use a black light to see if there are any visible dye traces in the lines, or other parts of the system.

It's been sitting outside for a long time, but was used a lot in the winter, so I gave it a quick bath and a new coat of wax. Still looking good three years after I did the driveway paint job. That Valspar tractor paint holds up -- but the Ford Red did fade a bit to a more lighter orange. That's no big deal for this vehicle since it matches the old GM colors scheme much better.

« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 04:00:04 PM by goodfellow »

Offline muddy

Re: Mazda B2600 R12 AC system leak check --
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2019, 08:29:41 PM »
Glad to see it still running great for you!

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 08:35:57 PM »
Glad to see it still running great for you!

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Thanks Tim -- yes, a definite tribute to Mazda and Mitsubishi (engine) engineering for sure. Change the oil regularly and it keeps on going on.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 10:44:49 PM »
5 years, wow time sure flies. Doesn't seem that long ago.

Offline john k

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2019, 09:15:07 AM »
Good to hear the aersole still works.  Was looking at my b2600 4x4, and the frame has rusted through to the point of unsafe.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2019, 09:16:19 AM »
Thanks for the update.  Hopefully your leak will be an easy and inexpensive fix

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2019, 09:26:36 AM »
Thanks for the update.  Hopefully your leak will be an easy and inexpensive fix

It's a very small leak - because it still had pressure in the system. These systems are relatively easy to fix, except for the evaporator. I did stick an AC "sniffer" wand into the interior air vents, and it didn't register any contamination -- so I might have dodged that bullet.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 05:33:04 PM »
I always like it that the "newer" GM products have dye in the system from the factory.  Frequently the leak would show up with a decent UV light or in the case of an evaporator with a sniffer if it does not show up in the drain tube.

Not sure what we'll do with the new 1234YF systems.  While there is dye it is not compatible with 134a requiring all new equipment and is mildly flammable which means most of the 134a sniffers are not to be used because they have heating elements. >:(
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 12:39:12 PM »
Found the leak -- nothing but a high side Schrader valve. It had come loose and was leaking out from beneath the dust cap. Black light showed the accumulation of the dye around the cap.

Good to go and after a small refill, it blows as cold as a refrigerator again. Quite impressed with this cheap 152a Keyboard Duster gas. Just ordered four more cans from Amazon.