Author Topic: Help me!!! ‘93 F-150 5.8L  (Read 2952 times)

Offline m_fumich

Help me!!! ‘93 F-150 5.8L
« on: September 28, 2019, 10:57:01 AM »
This will be my ongoing “Help Me” thread about my truck. I’ve ordered the Haynes manual and I will try to find answers there before I ask you guys. But it’s gonna be a week before I get the repair manual so I need a little help now.

I’m looking the engine over for anything that doesn’t look right.

I believe the first picture is the TPS. It was just dangling under the throttle linkage cover. I can’t find anyplace that appears to be missing a mounted part. Where does this mount?

Above and behind the thermostat housing and to the left of the distributor is some kind of T. It looks to tap into the intake. One of the lines has been plugged with a bolt. That T has a sensor on it and one of the other hoses coming off it goes to the heater core. I need to know where the line with the bolt is supposed to run to.

At the rear of the passenger side valve cover is what looks to be a PCV valve. Is there supposed to be a hose on the top nipple?

Passenger side front corner of the engine compartment. Is there supposed to be any kind of how coming off that orifice?

Thanks for the help.

BTW, the oil looks good so what ever is keeping it from running did not result in coolant getting dumped into the oil pan. The radiator isn’t full but I can see coolant about 6” from the cap so it didn’t pop a freeze plug like the guy said “may have done.” I hope to have a battery in it by Tuesday so I cal spin it over and see what it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline m_fumich

Re: Help me!!! ‘93 F-150 5.8L
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 02:30:57 PM »
I got more info from the previous owner. He said it was running fine the last time he drove it. He parked it because the oil pressure gauge was bouncing all over the place. He parked it before it had a chance to break anything. With luck, it should fire right up once I get a battery in it. Then I can fix any operational problems.

I used my riding mower to get power to the truck. It wasn’t enough to spin the engine over but it was enough to get the gauges to working. It has a digital odometer so that was to only way to find out the mileage. It’s got 366k and change on it. If he quit driving it as soon as the oil pressure problem presented itself, I might be able to forestall having to rebuild the engine for a while by replacing the oil pump.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 03:02:21 PM »
Here's a great resource I use for my Ford help. Pick your forum and scribe away! Sorry I cant help with your question, my F350 doesn't have those skinny sparky things all snaked all over the place. I roll smoke where I go.  ;)

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/index.php

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 03:45:44 PM »
I’m getting more info piecemeal from the previous owner. His name is Joe. Well, Joe and another guy drove 2 hrs away to buy this truck from the original owner. After they got it back to Memphis, the guy that bought it decided he didn’t have any room to keep it at his house so he just gave it to Joe. Joe drove it home and parked it. He didn’t have an immediate need for it. He registered the truck and drove it a couple times. Then on his was home from getting gas the first time, the oil gauge started jumping so when he got home, he parked it and that was the last time he did anything with it. That was a year ago. So this truck only sat for a year. I confirmed that because the registration papers are in the glove box. Joe says he has all the original paperwork and the maintenance records showing the engine was rebuilt 4 or 5 years ago. It could be that there’s nothing significant wrong with this truck. Joe did say one of the fuel tanks doesn’t work. I’ll check that in due time. Thanks to YouTube, I found where the TPS goes. I had to pull the throttle body completely off. Apparently the screws that hold the TPS to the throttle body just fell out. There’s no way to get to those screws without removing the throttle body and I can’t imagine someone leaving it off on purpose.

I’ll have a battery in it by Monday. I’m really hoping any problems are minor. I could go for some good luck about now.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2019, 08:20:48 PM »
So the only problem Joe observed was the oil gauge bouncing and he parked it right away. If I’m lucky, that will be a loose connection. But I’ve got to find the sensor to check the connection. In my experience, the oil pressure sensor is on the side of the block. I hope there’s room for me to slide under the truck without jacking it up.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2019, 09:05:29 PM »
Found the oil pressure switch. It’s right next to the oil filter. I’m not going to mess with it until after I get the truck started and see if it actually needs it. After looking the truck over, thinking about everything Joe told me, and reading some of the Ford forums, I would not be surprised if this truck runs just fine once I get the throttle body back on tomorrow. I should have a battery to use for testing purposes by mid morning.

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 08:03:59 AM »
Solid Truck.  Not like the ones up here in the rust belt.  If it were mine, I would temporarily connect a mechanical oil pressure gauge, new filter, and 5 quarts of cheap 10w30, before I started it.  Ford turned the oil pressure gauge into a two condition idiot light on some models.  Explorer, I think, not sure about a 93 truck.  The computer would interpret the voltage from the oil pressure sending unit and either show full pressure or no pressure on the dash gauge.  Anyway, why waste time guessing? Easy to temporarily hook up a mechanical gauge and duct tape it somewhere under the hood

Offline kwoswalt99

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 09:24:00 AM »
Those motors in particular love to shear the distributor gear roll pin. If you have no spark or oil pressure that’s where I’d start.