Author Topic: A "tool " purchase, and a question for J.A.F.E.  (Read 8086 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: A "tool " purchase, and a question for J.A.F.E.
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2020, 12:43:13 PM »
I just did a little searching. Here is a Westinghouse cutout listed for $511!.

Link: https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.picclickimg.com%2Fd%2Fl400%2Fpict%2F302752385917_%2FWestinghouse-Precision-Cast-Mini-Adjustable-Cutout-Wrench-3.jpg&imgrefurl=https%3A%2F%2Fpicclick.com%2FWestinghouse-Precision-Cast-Mini-Adjustable-Cutout-Wrench-3-302752385917.html&tbnid=Bj8bpOO-Rbe6kM&vet=12ahUKEwiH76-n-6nqAhWcAzQIHc4ECXAQMygcegUIARCsAg..i&docid=JlTq029xYVPDpM&w=400&h=300&q=cutout%20adjustable%20wrench&client=firefox-b-1-d&ved=2ahUKEwiH76-n-6nqAhWcAzQIHc4ECXAQMygcegUIARCsAg
:c029: :a102:
That's crazy.
It's a cool little fella but damn that's a lot of money.
Sometimes I collect a little bit without really trying to but I like to keep it practical,  and if I can't make use of another or it's not as practical to use I can live without it.

I'm a also not the type to splurge much on extravagance.
I'll spend a little more for a nice jigged bone over smooth delrin on a pocket knife , but I won't spend 3x as much for deer stag just because it looks nicer.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2020, 12:47:04 PM »
I just remembered I had a PROTO as well, wouldn't mind finding a little 4" William's Superjustable for my dad to match his 8".

One thing I appreciate about these 4" adjustables is the variation in dimensions and  jaw capacity.
The PROTO and MAC are about the same head size but the MAC still covers about 1mm more.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2020, 01:19:30 PM »
There is an amazing variety of features among which is opening. I was gifted a Truper by Strik that opens to about 13/16.

The Williams are usually fairly easy to find - next one I come across I'll snag for you if you want.

I have a MAC but it is older than yours and a different OEM - it is marked CAJ4.

Back on topic of the little adjustable I have one like yours marked W. Germany. It is useable but the jaws are of limited capacity. I also have a little Craftsman marked China that is useable.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2020, 01:45:22 PM »
There is an amazing variety of features among which is opening. I was gifted a Truper by Strik that opens to about 13/16.

The Williams are usually fairly easy to find - next one I come across I'll snag for you if you want.

I have a MAC but it is older than yours and a different OEM - it is marked CAJ4.

Back on topic of the little adjustable I have one like yours marked W. Germany. It is useable but the jaws are of limited capacity. I also have a little Craftsman marked China that is useable.
If the one I receive proves to be the same I'll try it and see how it goes.
If it is and can handle maybe 3/8 It might not be too bad.

If you wanna keep an eye out on a little William's that would be great.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2020, 02:54:57 PM »
Ideally I'd like an adjustable that fits comfortably in my pocket organizer,  but I'll probably just stick with my old faithful MAC aw4.
The Diamalloy Is a bit more miniscule and would be a good choice as well, I'll just have to come up with something as I don't want it loose in pocket.

Just attach the wrench to a 10mm socket with a key ring - then you'll never lose it!  :D

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2020, 03:44:27 PM »
Ideally I'd like an adjustable that fits comfortably in my pocket organizer,  but I'll probably just stick with my old faithful MAC aw4.
The Diamalloy Is a bit more miniscule and would be a good choice as well, I'll just have to come up with something as I don't want it loose in pocket.

Just attach the wrench to a 10mm socket with a key ring - then you'll never lose it!  :D
That would guarantee it to get lost, but I personally have found I use a 3/8 more than anything for some reason.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2020, 03:48:36 PM »

That is a guarantee alright.  :D

My little red one will open to just over 3/8 and is marked Germany not W Germany as I posted earlier. The little Craftsman will open to just over 1/4.

I'll take some pix later and post.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2020, 04:33:55 PM »
I'd appreciate the pictures.

Btw heres a blue one I found a picture of online.
free image host
I kind of like it better than the red one.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2020, 05:58:42 PM »
Have to do this in pieces since I still have to set up another photo hosting account.

These are the little 2 1/2 adjustables. The red one would look better plated IMO or filing that black paint ot black oxide.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2020, 06:06:52 PM »
Have to do this in pieces since I still have to set up another photo hosting account.

These are the little 2 1/2 adjustables. The red one would look better plated IMO or filing that black paint ot black oxide.
Thanks for the pictures.
Yours looks pretty much just like the one I've got coming, and if yours is functional it gives me high hopes for the one I've got coming.
Nothing heavy duty, but sometimes I need a wrench on the backside of a small screw screw .

These would probably look better plated, but at the cost of the sets these came in they would probably do a pretty crappy job of it.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2020, 06:09:19 PM »
This is the Truper and by far has the largest capacity of any of the 4" I have. A close second is the Bahco. If you aren't familiar Bahco is the original manufacturer of this pattern of wrench even though in the US Crescent is far better known and Crescent wrench is often used as a generic term for the tools. Bahco is a Swedish company and is now part of the Snap-on group. Oddly, Baco no longer manufactures this style wrench they are made in Spain by Irimo - another SNA (Snap-on) company.

The photo shows a few of the more interesting ones I have managed to accumulate. Starting at top left Bahco, MAC, Truper, PEXTO (Peck, Stowe and Wilcox and is probably my favorite of all of them and this one I believe is about 100 years old) and Utica.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2020, 06:11:04 PM »
One other possibility for a pocket wrench is this bicycle wrench. This size was a promotion and more of a smaple but adequate for light work and the jaws open a fair ways - about an inch.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2020, 06:12:33 PM »
The red one is usable as long as there's not a huge torque required but in small fasteners they usually aren't all that tight.

Hope the one you have coming is as good or better than the one I showed.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2020, 07:03:29 PM »
One other possibility for a pocket wrench is this bicycle wrench. This size was a promotion and more of a smaple but adequate for light work and the jaws open a fair ways - about an inch.
I was thinking about one of those but couldn't this kind on Ebay, only the slightly larger forged type.

Btw yes I am familiar with Bahco, they were once my goto brand for hacksaw blades.
Excellent quality and a local place down the street when I was a teenager had a huge bin full of their bi-metal blades 3/$1.

I'm not into funky shaped modern looking wrenches which it seems Bahco mostly offers these days ( I think snapon owns them now or something) or I'd try one of their current offerings as I understand they operate proper handed, none of that right hand BS were stuck with here in the states  ;)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 07:06:07 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn