Author Topic: A "tool " purchase, and a question for J.A.F.E.  (Read 8085 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: A "tool " purchase, and a question for J.A.F.E.
« Reply #30 on: June 30, 2020, 07:09:48 PM »
This is the Truper and by far has the largest capacity of any of the 4" I have. A close second is the Bahco. If you aren't familiar Bahco is the original manufacturer of this pattern of wrench even though in the US Crescent is far better known and Crescent wrench is often used as a generic term for the tools. Bahco is a Swedish company and is now part of the Snap-on group. Oddly, Baco no longer manufactures this style wrench they are made in Spain by Irimo - another SNA (Snap-on) company.

The photo shows a few of the more interesting ones I have managed to accumulate. Starting at top left Bahco, MAC, Truper, PEXTO (Peck, Stowe and Wilcox and is probably my favorite of all of them and this one I believe is about 100 years old) and Utica.
That PEXTO is a real Beauty.
They made an excellent tool, I've got a pair of PEXTO pliers and they're buttery smooth.

That locking Utica is cool too.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #31 on: June 30, 2020, 07:28:05 PM »
I just found one of the little 3" bicycle wrenches like that on Ebay but the condition isn't that great and they want $20+ shipping for it  :a102:
I'll see if the little red adjustable I've got coming is usable before I go looking for one of the bicycle type.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: June 30, 2020, 07:37:03 PM »
PEXTO made some cool stuff.

The bicycle wrenches aren't all that rare so if you let this one go another will be along at some point. I carried this one for a while but don't recall ever using it when I did. I have used it a few times though.

To me 20 is pricey for these little things.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2020, 07:53:52 PM »
Oddly, Baco no longer manufactures this style wrench they are made in Spain by Irimo - another SNA (Snap-on) company.

Last I knew SNA were still producing Bahco Ergo crescent wrenches, possibly in the plant that used to be owned by Irimo, but definitely somewhere in either Spain or Portugal. I doubt they'd buy Bahco then totally fuck their reputation by rebranding Irimo wrenches, which are about the same as Crescent quality wise, as Bahcos and Snap-ons.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2020, 08:28:30 PM »

Last I knew SNA were still producing Bahco Ergo crescent wrenches, possibly in the plant that used to be owned by Irimo, but definitely somewhere in either Spain or Portugal.  <snip>

That is my understanding as well.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2020, 10:04:35 PM »
I have an ancient Mossberg Sterling bike wrench in decent condition.  I find the F style adjustable fairly worthless and I use B&D electric adjustable wrenches fairly often.  A 6" Pretul rides daily with the bike and has proven its worth on roadside fixes. 

At work a 10" Truper does the dirty deeds and has proven its worth.

But if my pocket was bigger that funky electric would be most used as they really shine in the bike shop.  Neither of the two have batteries,  that part of them isn't very good.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2020, 10:39:42 PM »
Sir Jafe, how is that Truper comparing to others in real world use and such?  Is the ergonomic handle really making a difference?

I never got one for myself before they  changed them again.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2020, 11:48:11 PM »
Theres always something better or worse when specific when theres a specific use or capacity in mind for sure, and that's what a full toolbox is for.

I like to carry a few small useful tools on me that are just enough many times, but of course within reason and I know sometimes the regular full sized tools in one of my tool boxes or tool kits are the way to go.
When I'm working on something I've got tools out or accessible, but sometimes a small task pops up and that's what my pocket tools are for.

It's just a mini pry bar, mini adjustable wrench,  and small multitool, as well as of course a knife and flashlight,  but that takes care of many minor things.
Not gonna replace a toolbox for actual work nor am I going to reach in my pocket for anything but my pocket knife or flashlight when I've got a toolbox out, but little tasks where my pocket is closer than a toolbox and the task could be done in the time it takes to get to my toolbox they really shine.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2020, 11:51:18 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2020, 03:25:35 AM »
Sir Jafe, how is that Truper comparing to others in real world use and such?  Is the ergonomic handle really making a difference?

I never got one for myself before they  changed them again.

It works quite well. Too bad the design was changed it is a good one if not a bit unique. In use the handle is not all that noticeable but where it shines of course is it's ability to say ahhh. If the design was copied from it's larger siblings I suspect the handle design would be helpful where a good firm grip was needed.

I don't use all that many of the 4's mostly just when I get a new one to get a feel for it. But this one is one of the users and it's held up quite well - even the finish.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2020, 08:58:41 AM »
I'd love to see a 6" adjustable with a WRIGHT  contour grip
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2020, 06:56:05 PM »
Just shipped today,  hopefully it doesn't take too long.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2020, 06:21:44 PM »
It arrived today,  and it's just as little as I remember.
Were it higher quality I could see it being useful.

The wrench is definitely some kind of ferrous metal because it has a few rust spots, but a magnet will only stick to the thumb wheel and screw pin.
I tested it on a small nut and it's pretty soft, probably not usable.

At least this little set is cool and I didn't pay much for it.

Probably just gonna come up with a good way to carry my trusty MAC.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 07:50:37 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn