Author Topic: Re-furbing plumbing valves  (Read 15102 times)

Offline bonneyman

Re: Re-furbing plumbing valves
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2018, 08:55:33 PM »
Here's an anti-siphon valve with manual water shut-off for use with an irrigation system. This thing can go for $20-$25 or more - and are almost always installed in really bad areas for total replacement - so they actually make a kit that replaces the worn out plunger mechanism (which sells for about $10). You just turn off the water, unscrew the large flat cap, and swap out the worn parts. Recap and off you go.
The manual shut-off valve typically doesn't get used all that much, so people don't refurb that portion. Though it's similar to a hose bibb with parts and procedure.
I got this from a customer who brought it in with him to the hardware store. He had backed his car too far under his carport, and bumped the valve, snapping off the 3/4" pipe. I told him the broken stub could be removed, and the valve reinstalled - he could put a rebuild kit in it if he wanted. (But that wasn't what brought him in). He said no, he'd just replace the whole thing, and gave the old one to me. I removed the rusty stub in about 5 minutes, then cleaned it up and checked out the internals - nothing wrong with any of it!  :-[

The rebuild kit is like this:
https://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/RK-30C-C-p/rk-30c-c.htm

Here's a great tutorial on operation with good pics and internal views:
https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/28207/how-do-i-fix-a-sprinkler-valve-that-leaks-instead-of-popping-up-the-sprinkler-he
« Last Edit: November 16, 2018, 09:33:17 PM by bonneyman »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2018, 09:08:30 PM »
It is a problem and a fairly universal one at that. People have become so accustomed to just looking at dollars. In a way it's natural when you don't know the difference between A and B and B is more money than A most people are drawn to A. It's a big part of why garbage is so pervasive on the market. But the answer really is to find out why A and B are priced differently just most are not motivated or too lazy or too intimidated or like the troll think they know it all.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2018, 09:33:54 PM »
I have replaced float valves in swamp coolers for people. Those damn cheap ones from HD or Lowes are lucky to last more than a year. Spend3 times the money and get much longer service life out of the better ones. And people don't know those oil cups exist on bearings for a reason.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2018, 09:46:38 PM »
The oil cups comment reminds me of taking a pump and motor course some years ago and the instructor didn't know what the screw down grease cups were. I brought one in the next day and gave a demonstration to the class. Told him I wanted a cut on the $$ due to me bringing show and tell items.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2018, 09:49:59 PM »
I have replaced float valves in swamp coolers for people. Those damn cheap ones from HD or Lowes are lucky to last more than a year. Spend3 times the money and get much longer service life out of the better ones. And people don't know those oil cups exist on bearings for a reason.

Yeah, I avoid those plastic valve body float valves like the plague! Only use brass-bodied floats.
In fact, I try and swap out as many plastic parts in evap coolers with brass equivalents that I can. I made a list while at Ace of brass fitting's needed to replace plastic parts. If there's interest I can put a list of those up.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2018, 09:52:53 PM »
The oil cups comment reminds me of taking a pump and motor course some years ago and the instructor didn't know what the screw down grease cups were. I brought one in the next day and gave a demonstration to the class. Told him I wanted a cut on the $$ due to me bringing show and tell items.

Show and tell!  :D

So how much cashola did you get??? >:D

Offline slip knot

« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2018, 09:58:07 PM »
Never did get any $$ from the guy but he let me skate on his class numerous times and still gave me ceu's  I guess he figured if I knew more about the topic than him, it would be better if I wasn't in the class.  ;D  Been doing this a few years now.