Author Topic: Interesting GM notice came in the mail -  (Read 4820 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Interesting GM notice came in the mail -
« on: January 31, 2019, 12:25:07 PM »
I own a 2011 Caddy DTS and received an interesting notice in the mail yesterday. Bottom line of the notice was that there is a problem with the certain GM platforms like the Buick Lucerne and its sister car the DTS/Deville with the fuse panel that resides under the rear bench seat. Specifically the fuel pump relay that sits under the corner edge of the fusebox cover.

Apparently when the rear seat gets loaded with weight (i.e. passengers) the frame of the seat presses against the fusebox cover and causes the fuel pump relay to move and shift in its socket. Over time the socket wears out and causes excessive electrical fuel pump draw, melted relay connections, or in some cases a small fire that melts the fusebox.

GM has a series of service bulletins out there -- SB-10074301-0699
The letter I received isn't a direct recall, but only a notification that this is a potential hazard and to keep an eye on it.  Yeah right! GM :))

I found a good YouTube vid on the subject on the South Main Auto channel --

The apparent immediate solution for this problem is to use a "Low Profile" relay that doesn't contact the lid of the fusebox when the seat starts pushing down on it. I'm not certain that this relay is any different from the relay that already in it -- will have to take the seat out and check.

Low Profile Relay GM Part Number 88953222
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 01:01:18 PM by goodfellow »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
Re: Interesting GM notice came in the mail -
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 01:20:25 PM »
Well air cooled VW's had the battery under the rear seat. From the factory there was a plastic shield on the battery to protect the positive post and the proper replacement batteries had it as well. But replacement batteries didn't always have it. The seat frame and coils were metal.

Some lessons just never get learned.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2019, 05:24:15 PM »
Easy fix, No fat butts allowed in the back seat. O:-)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2019, 05:27:58 PM »

You don't know my in-laws. --- LOL   --- they'd make that fuse box explode in a New York minute  ;)

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 05:56:12 PM »
That relay looks too light for a fuel pump. This "overloaded rear seat" smells like BS intended to divert blame onto the customer.

You don't know my in-laws. --- LOL   --- they'd make that fuse box explode in a New York minute  ;)

Easy fix for that. When you have to take the in laws somewhere use the Mazda >:D

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 05:56:33 PM »
Well air cooled VW's had the battery under the rear seat. From the factory there was a plastic shield on the battery to protect the positive post and the proper replacement batteries had it as well. But replacement batteries didn't always have it. The seat frame and coils were metal.

Some lessons just never get learned.
and the padding on the early seats was that old "horse hair".  Very flammable, guess how I know.

In 1981 I was a young GI in Germany and bought a mid-'70s 1303 Bug.  When I was kneeling on the passenger side rear seat area lowering the rear deck shelf to open the storage area behind the rear seat there was a snapping sound and an acrid smell.  Fortunately I quickly removed the seat and put out the smoldering padding.  Could have been a bad situation. :-\
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline muddy

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 06:00:58 PM »

;))

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2019, 06:11:22 PM »
You're not thinking about "parts evolution".

Fat passengers destroy fuel pump relay socket - eliminate fuel pump relay socket - connect vent tube to bottom of seat - bypass fuse box - hook passengers butt to fuel tank. Saves methane emissions! :))

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 08:57:31 PM »
I forgot all about the padding stokester. You are correct very flkammable stuff.

Glad nothing bad happened.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.