Author Topic: Post all of your latest tool buys here  (Read 186921 times)

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
Re: Post all of your latest tool buys here
« Reply #1200 on: November 01, 2023, 09:19:35 PM »
economical yet functional tool storage is a highly developed skill. Elroy would remind the board that utilizing high quality leather goods is a viable option.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/threads/indisputable-proof-elroy-is-a-fag.24651/

:a102:

classic stuff there elroy. lots of good old names. hard to beleivee how long ago that was. i remember it but didn't comment in it.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1201 on: November 02, 2023, 07:42:21 AM »
As always, Elroy tends to find some really good quality stuff. Well done Elroy!!!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #1202 on: November 02, 2023, 08:04:34 AM »
economical yet functional tool storage is a highly developed skill. Elroy would remind the board that utilizing high quality leather goods is a viable option.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/threads/indisputable-proof-elroy-is-a-fag.24651/

:a102:
Speaking of Purses, I looked up Loom brothers co the makers of that leather pencil case and the only products I could find were purses.

I wouldn't ignore a leather purse if I could repurpose it. Probably as a multi-meter bag or something.

The B-man has a handful of "ladies items" at work in the shop!  :great:

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #1203 on: November 02, 2023, 08:50:23 AM »
I recently cut a bunch of Italian leather off of a lounge chair somebody threw out, and I may have to make a few punch pouches along the lines of that pencil case elroy posted.
I've got a quicker simpler 1 piece design in mind.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #1204 on: November 09, 2023, 08:10:17 AM »
IIRC, Elroy posted using training cases (small suitcases ladies used for makeup while traveling) as storage boxes for corded tools years ago.  Liked the idea and bought one at an auction cheap.  Before I used it, a lady came in and had to have it for a similar purpose.  The fatman, being a gentleman and a capitalist, let her purchase it while realizing a profit myself. :))

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #1205 on: November 10, 2023, 02:46:19 PM »
Today in the mail I received an OLFA craft knife, and a Tandy #4 leather edge beveler.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #1206 on: November 10, 2023, 06:46:12 PM »
I just finished throwing together this simple leather wrench pouch, really I didn't have any particular tools in mind and just threw it together as a proof of concept.
It fits this pair of SAE and Metric wrench sets that I keep in my go box but I'd have made it a little bigger if I was making it specifically for them.

I recently salvaged a bunch of leather off a lounge chair somebody threw away, so I used that rough side out for durability and abrasion resistance.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #1207 on: November 17, 2023, 01:24:46 PM »
I bought me an awesome new flashlight,  from one of the long standing American manufacturers who's reliable Ametican made products I like and love to support.

These are generally over $100 but with the sale they're having plus the pre black Friday discount code I got it for about $75 shipped.

I'm a little bummed that I have to wait 6 hours for the completely dead battery to initially charge before I can try it out, but after that it's only supposed to take 90 minutes to charge and it can live in it's charging cradle 24/7 so the battery is always full.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #1208 on: November 28, 2023, 05:10:12 PM »

I was cruising the fb marketplace and came across this sander. It is the hf central machinery one so not really a great piece but for $100 i set up the meet up to get it. Seller threw in some 12" discs so that was cool too. I hope it works as good as the ones i've seen on youtube.
Rich

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #1209 on: December 01, 2023, 12:44:31 PM »
A fenix headlight I needed for work, a #0 for my Heyco screwdriver set, and an awesome Heyco reversible screwdriver.

The handle in this reversible is awesome,  it feels a lot like the Proto Bet-R-Grip.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #1210 on: December 20, 2023, 01:06:04 PM »
It took awhile but I finally got in this little 7" long " Micro hammer " from a Japanese tool manufacturer named Anex, I believe the model company Tamiya also sells a blue one with their name on it.

It seems to be a good high quality little tool, but I'm a bit bummed because apparently I accidentally ordered it without the brass and nylon replacement tips.
I think the distributor just used the wrong stock photo or something, but honestly I'm not sure I really need those and I can order them fairly cheaply down the line if I really want them.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #1211 on: January 01, 2024, 06:10:54 AM »
That hammer looks sweet.  The brass end would be handy

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1212 on: January 01, 2024, 06:56:54 AM »
Pretty nice little hammer. Looks almost too nice to use -- LOL

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #1213 on: January 01, 2024, 12:42:20 PM »
I looked online and the replacement set of tips for this hammer and not available at an affordable price, cheapest I could find was more than double what I payed for the hammer.
If I shopped on Scamazon I know the Scamazon Japan would have the heads and the hammer that includes them for a very cheap price, but I'm just not desperate enough to shop with them.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #1214 on: January 05, 2024, 11:20:31 PM »
I was visiting my mom and had to stop by my teenage tool paradise called Bargain smart.
Awhile back that discount tool store started to get in some PROTO, and I brought home a couple of the XL series ratchets that they had today.

The 1/4 was $20, and the 3/8 $30.
I looked online and could not find the black finish quick release ratchets anywhere.
Eventually I found both available on Ebay for $25 and $35, and realized Bargain smart has an Ebay store which I didn't realize.
Yes for some reason they charge more for them in their Ebay store.

Anyways they're the only ones who have them and I can't find a trace anywhere.
They are definitely supposed to be black finished, but I can only find the standard Chrome online.
They also had the USAG made 3/8 round head flex for $30 which I thought about buying,  but I don't like a flex head with no lock or detents so I passed

Btw it seems PROTO has another new Ratchet design that I haven't seen before.

I also stopped by HD and bought a Ryobi cordless palm sander.
Always lookin' to learn