Author Topic: Post all of your latest tool buys here  (Read 183925 times)

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
Re: Post all of your latest tool buys here
« Reply #255 on: April 25, 2020, 02:02:56 PM »
There is no comparison on cut speed between the benchmark vs 3m/norton zirconium or ceramic. The real deals are easily 2-3X as fast and last twice as long.

For non-commercial work, the Benchmarks are fine. They are under $2 ea on sale vs up to $7 - $10 for a 3m or norton. They aren't slow enough to make you hate them, but when you're used to something fast, it obvious they're less efficient.

I run high HP (3hp/75cfm) pneumatic 6k rpm grinders instead of the typical 12k electric jobs. The shavings when using quality discs look like tiny drill swarf (blue metal curly ques) vs the black powder dust most are used to. The difference is cutting vs rubbing. You can tell the cheapies are coming apart faster due to all the fluff floating around while you use them. They start losing chunks at the edge at about 50% wear, which speeds up their death as the bad spot keeps getting bigger.

The 3m has less material, but wears better

These are both about the same amount worn, but the 3m will still cut almost as well as new. The Benchmark requires a lot of pressure on the grinder to get any kind of cut rate without just rubbing as they wear. See the edge chunk missing.

Atlas Copco LSV38 6600rpm. Almost impossible to stall. A top shelf grinder really makes quality abrasives work.

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #256 on: April 25, 2020, 05:45:10 PM »
A college friend of mine is a mechanical engineer. The company he works for is making a tool for opening doors and using pushbuttons without having to touch the hardware.

Offline GNAP

« Reply #257 on: April 25, 2020, 08:28:26 PM »
I really prefer the Walter Abrasive flap wheels, but they are expensive ($10/ea+), the one I use are the Plantex flap wheels, like the Walter, they are trimmable, allowing use the wheels up completely. The Plantex are about 75% of the Walter, but are roughly $4/ea.

I don’t like the flap wheels with the woven back, I’ve had them explode, the Walters are molded wood fiber and the Plantex are made from molded hemp material. If dropped they don’t break like the woven ones do.

Added a couple pics of the trimmed wheels
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 08:34:12 PM by GNAP »
jack

Offline gtermini

« Reply #258 on: April 27, 2020, 09:04:05 PM »
Facom ratchet crimpers for insulated terminals. Mashed a couple $2 heatshrink connectors and got pissed and ordered this. $70 for these French ones vs $130 for German Knipex. Hope I don't regret being cheap. I can tell you they are light years better than the stamped steel stripper combo pair everybody has.

I use uninsulated terminals 80% of the time and crimp them with a Thomas & Betts WT111M that has the little nipple that stabs in. I love how well those hold and the insulated ones always seem iffy at best to me. Hopefully these change my confidence in the crimps.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 09:05:47 PM by gtermini »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #259 on: April 28, 2020, 08:31:48 AM »
Good crimpers aren't cheap. Make sure to let us know how you like them.

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #260 on: April 28, 2020, 10:11:47 AM »
Facom ratchet crimpers for insulated terminals. Mashed a couple $2 heatshrink connectors and got pissed and ordered this. $70 for these French ones vs $130 for German Knipex. Hope I don't regret being cheap. I can tell you they are light years better than the stamped steel stripper combo pair everybody has.

Probably as good, or better than, the knipex. I've only got one knipex crimp tool and don't really care for it. I mostly run "pre ergo" Pressmaster frames.

FYI that Facom looks to have regular red/blue/yellow insulated terminal dies in it not heat shrink dies. Pic is of a heat shrink die.

And links if you feel like spending some more money :97:

https://www.waytekwire.com/item/560/Customizable-Crimping-Tool-Frame/

https://www.waytekwire.com/item/566/Pressmaster-4300-3258-Die-Set-for-Heat-Shrink/

Offline gtermini

« Reply #261 on: April 28, 2020, 12:02:16 PM »
 :38: Yah it's not the proper one. I'll give it a shot first though. I can only buy one fancy crimper in a month without feeling like I'm going over the top. If that place didn't want $20 freight, I might be more impulse tempted.

Offline gtermini

« Reply #262 on: May 01, 2020, 10:59:59 PM »
Three boxes from amazon warehouse deals showed up after over a month. Some trailer hitch parts. A new 20k pintle hitch. Couple 1 inch dr Williams impact sockets. One suspiciously used once. Wilton corner vise for $35. Little williams pin spanner.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #263 on: May 04, 2020, 09:41:57 PM »
Not much of a tool buy but I did want the 4" brass wire wheel for my Makita grinder. Another good buy from the clearance rack at TSC as everything was $11.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 09:47:37 PM by DeadNutz »

Offline gtermini

« Reply #264 on: May 04, 2020, 10:14:27 PM »
Yumm, aerosol rootbeer.

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #265 on: May 07, 2020, 01:29:57 AM »
Reminds me of being 16 years old and working at Arby's :hee20hee20hee:

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #266 on: May 11, 2020, 01:33:01 AM »
 :051bye:
We recently replaced the old ones at work with new ones like these and I hate 'em.
The handles are always unscrewing ( I'll stake 'em with a small screw at some point) and the front lip doesn't sit low enough to the ground to get the small stuff very well.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #267 on: May 11, 2020, 08:19:13 AM »
:051bye:
We recently replaced the old ones at work with new ones like these and I hate 'em.
The handles are always unscrewing ( I'll stake 'em with a small screw at some point) and the front lip doesn't sit low enough to the ground to get the small stuff very well.

I have the old metal style that sits very flat and is easy to sweep into. The only downside is that you can be rather noisy using the thing.

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #268 on: May 11, 2020, 04:33:24 PM »
more Tekton for work:

Online muddy

« Reply #269 on: May 11, 2020, 09:15:34 PM »
Milwaukee Stubby 3/8 Impact.

image post

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk