Author Topic: Post all of your latest tool buys here  (Read 183933 times)

Offline fatfillup

Re: Post all of your latest tool buys here
« Reply #750 on: March 12, 2022, 03:35:19 AM »
If eklind or bondhus offer a set in a holder like that I'll probably get them.

Pretty sure both do, maybe not hooked together sae and metric, but similar style holder

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #751 on: March 12, 2022, 04:16:21 AM »
If eklind or bondhus offer a set in a holder like that I'll probably get them.

Pretty sure both do, maybe not hooked together sae and metric, but similar style holder
I have the seperate sets already,  I was talking about hooked together like this.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #752 on: March 12, 2022, 03:38:35 PM »

I don't really know why I've been wanting these and I already took the spring out, but I wanted them so I picked a pair up.

Did you plan on using them for their intended purpose of doing tie wire on rebar? Or did you remove the spring because you don't like them springing open?

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #753 on: March 13, 2022, 05:14:24 AM »

I don't really know why I've been wanting these and I already took the spring out, but I wanted them so I picked a pair up.

Did you plan on using them for their intended purpose of doing tie wire on rebar? Or did you remove the spring because you don't like them springing open?
No rebar.
I just took out the springe because I don't like spring loaded pliers,  they barely fit in my pliers drawer as is it that was going to be necessary.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #754 on: March 19, 2022, 02:24:54 PM »
 I ordered some things from HJE ( not the C-man rebuild kit )

The Channellock 528 have some of the best F & F I've seen on any Channellock pliers in awhile.
I've never found any to be that bad, but the edges on these aren't as sharp and overall they're just a bit nicer.

The NOS 14oz Stanley soft face is nice too, I'll likely never be able to find replacement faces for it if needed, but for airgun / gun work duty it should last a long time.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2022, 02:27:03 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Online skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #755 on: March 19, 2022, 03:07:40 PM »
if i am correct, that hammer has a collet type tip holder that is tightened by the knurled ring.

new tips could be made from wood, plastic, brass, leather or whatever you chose as long as it was the same diameter as the old tip.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #756 on: March 19, 2022, 03:22:02 PM »
if i am correct, that hammer has a collet type tip holder that is tightened by the knurled ring.

new tips could be made from wood, plastic, brass, leather or whatever you chose as long as it was the same diameter as the old tip.
It's not the collet type, but anything I could press into the collars should stay.
If it tries to come out using the thing should push it back in.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #757 on: March 22, 2022, 04:44:43 PM »
1Z87WW660311285355

If you really really need a wood chipper these little ones aren't for you, but for occasional tree trimmings they're enough.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #758 on: March 25, 2022, 08:57:39 PM »
I pick up any small US made hand saws I find at Goodwill and other thrift stores in lightly used condition. The cheap $15 Great neck back saws I tend to find for $4 and can consider disposable at that price.

This 1996 Stanley " Short cut " project / toolbox saw came home with me today.
It's nice and sharp, and has a fine-ish kerf with a nice nice 12TPI.

It's just a little different than the ACE rebranded version I bought new a couple years ago.

The handle ain't no pre war Disston, but it works and that's about what you can expect to find at a hardware store today.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2022, 08:59:11 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline john k

« Reply #759 on: March 31, 2022, 11:27:39 PM »
Spent some cash yesterday.  Walked into Harbor Freight, came out with their manual  tire dismount tool.  Tired of working on the ground, wrestling 14-15-16 inch tires off and on. Got a few flat ones on my stand by fleet.  Watched some you tube videos on this thing,  decided it just might be worth it.   Also think I will be doing some modifying to it before long.   Since dad taught me how to  change a tire, patch the tube, and put it together about 1964, have probably done it 900 or a thousand times.   Mostly on the machines  where I worked.   Last place had a fantastic tire machine made in Italy.   Would pick up the tire with rim for you, run the whole thing with a joy stick,  it also cost over ten grand.  Once I got onto it, one could fly,  replaced 4  265-17s in 9 minutes, one gets inspired at quitting time.   Saturday the weather is supposed to be warmer, will unbox it,  find a spot to bolt it down, will let you know.

Offline john k

« Reply #760 on: April 07, 2022, 09:28:32 AM »
Unboxed the tire device.  Cant hardly call it a machine, since it is manual.  Lots of paint,  welds look real good.  Fitted some 2x4s to the base and bolted it to a heavy pallet that followed me home.   Dont have enough extra space on a concrete floor to do a permanent mount.  Went together ok,  had to drill out the mounting holes fot 7/16 bolts.  Center hold down piece works but could gouge aluminum rims.  Broke down a couple of wheels, works fairly well.  Way better than using a bumper jack.    Got to do some mods to the roll out end of the bar,  but with plenty of lube it did do the job.   Went to the farm store to get some tire glide, just wanted a 10 oz bottle, nope only a gallon jug for $20.00.  Not going that route as it would dry up before I could use it all.   So far no welds have broke,  nothing has bent.  Can see where the bead breaker can be improved as per a couple of you tube videos.  Worth the $49,  have to say yes.   
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 09:31:04 AM by john k »

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #761 on: April 12, 2022, 06:28:17 PM »
got a few small items from menards over the weekend

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #762 on: April 13, 2022, 10:54:20 AM »
got a few small items from menards over the weekend
Good haul.
Get 'em while you can since we all know what Ideal did to P-R.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #763 on: April 14, 2022, 02:38:06 PM »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #764 on: April 14, 2022, 05:05:22 PM »
You're a better man than me I can tell you that.

Spent some cash yesterday.  Walked into Harbor Freight, came out with their manual  tire dismount tool.  Tired of working on the ground, wrestling 14-15-16 inch tires off and on. Got a few flat ones on my stand by fleet.  Watched some you tube videos on this thing,  decided it just might be worth it.   Also think I will be doing some modifying to it before long.   Since dad taught me how to  change a tire, patch the tube, and put it together about 1964, have probably done it 900 or a thousand times.   Mostly on the machines  where I worked.   Last place had a fantastic tire machine made in Italy.   Would pick up the tire with rim for you, run the whole thing with a joy stick,  it also cost over ten grand.  Once I got onto it, one could fly,  replaced 4  265-17s in 9 minutes, one gets inspired at quitting time.   Saturday the weather is supposed to be warmer, will unbox it,  find a spot to bolt it down, will let you know.
1776 ................... what happened!