Author Topic: Post all of your latest tool buys here  (Read 183916 times)

Offline fatfillup

Re: Post all of your latest tool buys here
« Reply #780 on: May 27, 2022, 04:25:57 AM »
Pros still seem to prefer the Hanson trays,,,,except the OCD ones who don't have the oddball sizes on either end :))

I get calls often for the small or large sizes and I normally say,  trying to fill up those Hansen trays are ya?

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #781 on: May 27, 2022, 09:23:57 AM »
 :cool2:

I like the used sets I snagged at an estate sale. I use them for transitory storage - they're under the workbench till I can get a socket case or box. And it's easy to see at a glance what sizes I'm still missing in my spare sets.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #782 on: May 27, 2022, 12:00:24 PM »
I'll use them for miscellaneous sockets, but I'm just annoyed by the fact that I can't put the sockets wherever I want.

Another thing about them I don't like is how they're a constant remember that my set doesn't include sizes that it could have.
I'll never probably never miss the 4.5mm, but the 2 missing larger sizes will bug me.

It will bug me to know theres likely a set out there that starts 1 size smaller and ends 2 sizes larger than mine.

I have sets that go up to 14mm and 9/16 which happen to be kept elsewhere , but I never knew they were going up to 15mm and 5/8 in 1/4dr these days.

I guess that's why those compact 1/4 body 3/8 ratchets aren't quite as popular as they once were.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #783 on: May 30, 2022, 04:37:20 PM »
visited a buddy near Atlanta this past weekend, had to stop by the local hardware store and found some nice stuff!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #784 on: May 31, 2022, 11:36:32 AM »
visited a buddy near Atlanta this past weekend, had to stop by the local hardware store and found some nice stuff!
Those NOS Channellock pliers were such a score.

Boy do I wish they were still stamping their tools instead of just etching them.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #785 on: May 31, 2022, 12:33:27 PM »

excellent choices all Jeff!  Good luck with the new batch of tools -

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #786 on: June 03, 2022, 06:11:08 PM »
Whenever I bite the bullet and buy a Chinese made tool related item I've always gotta balance things out a little bit and buy something American made as well.
, new or not I just have to.

I saw a garage sale on the way back and was able to score these 2 gems.
A Vaughan 505M 24oz framer because I have a thiang for Vaughan & Bushnell.

And a UNION FORK & Hoe crow bar, they made an excellent shovel but I never new they made stuff like this.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
« Reply #787 on: June 04, 2022, 08:30:52 AM »
 I stepped off the deep end recently and purchased a Griots D9, buffer. Have hand-waxed my cars for very many years.

Along that road, I had purchased a Craftsmen 10'' buffer, around 99 cause of the truck I had purchased.

Tried using it to remove the wax, and found that to be a PIA. 

Jumping ahead, now having the Mustang, the truck sits in the weather and needs frequent polishing.

Having any tool one learns different ways to use them. So using the Craftsmen, tried loading the bonnet with the wax.

The heavens parted, and a lightning bolt appeared.... the machine is for applying the wax, not removal.

They will apply and spread a thin uniform coverage of wax.  So the Craftsmen being clunky to use, motivated this user to find a more friendly tool.

Hence the Griot's machine, in one weekend I did the wife's car and my truck, in a couple of hours each.

A real-time saver, and no not going for the paint correction deal. I am very satisfied with the factory finish.  Will use it for wax - ON, removing/buffing with soft towels.

I would not recommend using a machine on plastic panels, not for me at least, anyway, $$$ well spent.

One more thing to add, before I purchased the machine viewed some Utube videos for wax & polish brands, curiosity. Cause 3m is no longer making the past wax (damn).

Bough a few different brands to try, using on my 34 as a test platform. I have come to the reality, I believe.

Is that one brand over another, new and improved, differences seen, touted is psychological. Notice I stated brand, and not type,

I polished panels on the coupe using different brands side by side. As I went from one to the next, it seemed there were differences.

Observing the car the next day, could not tell one for the other.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2022, 08:36:14 AM by pep »
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #788 on: June 04, 2022, 10:03:04 AM »
Absolutely pristine Thorsen 1/4" driver, a shallow 12mm S-K socket, and nice unusual Britool 3/8" extension. Looing for an appropriate steel rod to slide in the end hole and make a sliding T-handle out of it. Thick steel looks like it'd be tough.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #789 on: June 04, 2022, 10:13:05 AM »
Absolutely pristine Thorsen 1/4" driver, a shallow 12mm S-K socket, and nice unusual Britool 3/8" extension. Looing for an appropriate steel rod to slide in the end hole and make a sliding T-handle out of it. Thick steel looks like it'd be tough.
I love the classic iconic green head Thorsen handles.
They're average where grip is concerned but I just like how they look.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #790 on: June 06, 2022, 10:32:48 PM »
Ordered this up from Harry J Epstein. Through in a set of USA made safety glasses

too!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #791 on: June 07, 2022, 10:27:09 AM »
Ordered this up from Harry J Epstein. Through in a set of USA made safety glasses

too!

What's the knife look like ?

Made in Spain right ?
Always lookin' to learn

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #792 on: June 07, 2022, 12:45:37 PM »
AJax makes great air chisels and .401 shank accessories. The only Ajax cutter that I never really cared for was their spot weld cutter. It didn't work well for me. Hence, I always purchased Snap-On for that particular tool.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2022, 12:49:10 PM by goodfellow »

Offline muddy

« Reply #793 on: June 07, 2022, 06:52:25 PM »

too!

What's the knife look like ?

Made in Spain right ?
Here a write up on it.

http://garagegazette.com/index.php?topic=3961.0

Offline muddy

« Reply #794 on: June 07, 2022, 06:53:41 PM »
AJax makes great air chisels and .401 shank accessories. The only Ajax cutter that I never really cared for was their spot weld cutter. It didn't work well for me. Hence, I always purchased Snap-On for that particular tool.
I'm lacking in that department. I have one main punch I uses and a Blue Point set of Extra long punches that Ivs probably used twice.