Author Topic: Post all of your latest tool buys here  (Read 183927 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: Post all of your latest tool buys here
« Reply #1110 on: April 29, 2023, 02:31:09 PM »
My dremel started running weird so I replaced the brushes and it still doesn't run right,  it's sparking inside and I'm not sure why so I just replaced it.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #1111 on: April 30, 2023, 05:45:34 PM »
The cheap 5 gallon C-H pancake compressor I had died on me a couple weeks ago, and I honestly don't miss it
It was loud as hell and 5 gallons wasn't really enough for me.
I just picked up this 10 gallon Fortress brand from HF.

it's running for 30 minutes to break in right now, and it is definitely quiet for sure.

I think this is going to be a gamechanger for me.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1112 on: April 30, 2023, 07:28:12 PM »
hf has really stepped up the game in that category.

if i was shopping portable they would be it.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #1113 on: April 30, 2023, 07:48:09 PM »
hf has really stepped up the game in that category.

if i was shopping portable they would be it.
I'm definitely impressed so on initial impressions.
I can tell right away it's higher quality than their central pneumatic line ( which I didn't even see today ) and better than Campbell Hausfeld.
If nothing else it is definitely very quiet, I expected it to be noticeably quieter but not significantly so.
I don't know if the 80% less claimed is accurate,  but I know this thing is maybe as loud as my cordless jigsaw if that when my old compressor would just about make my ears ring.
It seems higher quality , it's much quieter, and double the capacity of what I had.
Time will tell how it holds up but I'm optimistic.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline john k

« Reply #1114 on: May 21, 2023, 08:40:19 AM »
On a whim, or more likely a senior moment, bought an unusable set of blacksmith tools.  Anvil, post vice, caulking vise, blower, drill press, tire roller, so on.  Set of hammers, tongs, shapers, all hand made from wood.   Also a cone, and a tire shrinker.  Story is this, grandpa retired from years in a blacksmith shop,  then replicated the tools in wood.   Family put it in an estate auction,  didnt get a bid, so here I come stumbling in, made an offer, and now own it.  Most of it is full size,  drill press even has machined gears, so it works but am not going to chuck in a bit.   Cant imagine the time this took, even now since I am retired too.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2023, 08:46:15 AM by john k »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1115 on: May 21, 2023, 08:47:42 AM »
Nice John! Some interesting looking tools right there -- many I don't recognize as to what they are intended to do. I assume the wheel with the handle on it is for measuring distance, but I'm intrigued by the hammer lot on the right side of the pic. If they are indeed a specialized hammer (can't tell for sure), what is their purpose?

Offline john k

« Reply #1116 on: May 21, 2023, 08:59:58 AM »
Those are shaping tools, held over hot iron then struck with your standard 2-3 or 4lb. hammer.  They match the hardy tools grouped by the avil, so named because they are held in the anvils square hardy hole.  The wheel with handle is indeed for measuring.  Often called a "traveler" and used by a wheelwright to measure  wheels and iron tires, before flexible tape measures. 

Offline Elroy

« Reply #1117 on: May 21, 2023, 02:19:47 PM »
Time for Elroy to get off his soap box and back on the tool track

Picked up this 10 Amp NOCO Genius a while back. If you're in need of a new, modern solid state charger that's AGM and lithium rated with both 6 and 12 volt capability. Elroy would recommend you consider one of these NOCO charges. The sulfated repair mode adds additional flexibility.

Thing has proven to be a real gem............it flat out works and beats the snot out of the old Schumacher. :-*

Offline muddy

« Reply #1118 on: May 24, 2023, 09:45:09 PM »
Got this vacuum off the snap on truck.

screen shot on a pc

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #1119 on: May 25, 2023, 07:48:19 PM »
Nothing too exciting.
A 12" mill bastard, 10" half round, and a 10 pack of Cle-line bimetal hacksaw blades.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline nelstomlinson

Re: Post all of your latest tool buys here9
« Reply #1120 on: May 25, 2023, 10:39:12 PM »
Hickory, where were those files made, and how do they compare to the goođ old made-in-USA ones we can't get anymore?

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: Post all of your latest tool buys here9
« Reply #1121 on: May 25, 2023, 11:19:16 PM »
Hickory, where were those files made, and how do they compare to the goođ old made-in-USA ones we can't get anymore?
Mexico, and I'm pretty sure they're coming from the same factory making the modern Crescent Nicholson files.
They're not as good as Heller, Simonds, or the original Nicholson files in longevity but the files being made in Mexico today are very consistent and they perform well  during the time they do last.
They're definitely better than the Indian and Chinese made files from Harbor freight.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #1122 on: June 13, 2023, 03:22:55 PM »
Well, I ordered a pair of the latest design SK ratchets from Epstein's, and they arrived yesterday afternoon. A bit more than I wanted to spend, but got a 3/8" and 1/4". I wanted to grab some of the last stocks of the final American-made SK ratchets before they're gone.
Gotta say the chrome is outstanding - Snappy quality to my old eyes - and the balance is nice. Ergo handle is fine at first glance, will have to see if my opinion holds after greasy use. The 3/8" selector seems a little stiff, the 1/4" is fine. Might have to pull the plate off and clean and properly lube it. Plus I want to see what the guts look like. Pictures to post soon.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #1123 on: June 13, 2023, 05:34:13 PM »
Well, I ordered a pair of the latest design SK ratchets from Epstein's, and they arrived yesterday afternoon. A bit more than I wanted to spend, but got a 3/8" and 1/4". I wanted to grab some of the last stocks of the final American-made SK ratchets before they're gone.
Gotta say the chrome is outstanding - Snappy quality to my old eyes - and the balance is nice. Ergo handle is fine at first glance, will have to see if my opinion holds after greasy use. The 3/8" selector seems a little stiff, the 1/4" is fine. Might have to pull the plate off and clean and properly lube it. Plus I want to see what the guts look like. Pictures to post soon.
The 1/4 is on my list, but I'll probably never end up with one.
I have higher priorities,  and they'll probably be gone before I know it.
I already have enough true users anyways.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #1124 on: June 13, 2023, 06:25:26 PM »
The 1/4 is on my list, but I'll probably never end up with one.
I have higher priorities,  and they'll probably be gone before I know it.
I already have enough true users anyways.

Here they are! With a shot of the obligatory box art. (The wife likes hippos).