Author Topic: Post all of your latest tool buys here  (Read 183925 times)

Offline geneg

Re: Post all of your latest tool buys here
« Reply #1230 on: February 14, 2024, 07:29:28 AM »
Used one almost 30 years ago!

In 1995, I did a cinema project 6 screens sloped floors.  The local lumber yard brought one out for my superintendent to try for the seat base to floor lags.  Seem to remember that it was fairly expensive.  It worked great.  The company I worked for was into the Hilti relationship, so we didn't buy it.  The 9.6v  system had both good power & battery life.  I still use some of mine every now & then.

BTW, did you ever make progress on the battery rebuilt project you spoke of awhile ago?

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #1231 on: February 14, 2024, 08:33:48 AM »
Used one almost 30 years ago!

In 1995, I did a cinema project 6 screens sloped floors.  The local lumber yard brought one out for my superintendent to try for the seat base to floor lags.  Seem to remember that it was fairly expensive.  It worked great.  The company I worked for was into the Hilti relationship, so we didn't buy it.  The 9.6v  system had both good power & battery life.  I still use some of mine every now & then.

BTW, did you ever make progress on the battery rebuilt project you spoke of awhile ago?

Thanks for asking!

I did it on two batteries. One seemed to come back, the other went through 3 charge/discharge cycles then died. I'll keep trying the system and see if I get more successes than failures. At this point it's 50/50.

Offline geneg

« Reply #1232 on: February 14, 2024, 09:21:17 AM »
I looked into it for some old B&D 18 volt stuff.  At that time, I could buy the Amazon clone batteries cheaper than the cells for a rebuild.  Still might look into the Makita solution.  I think you'll enjoy the impact if you buy it. 

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #1233 on: February 15, 2024, 07:59:22 AM »
I looked into it for some old B&D 18 volt stuff.  At that time, I could buy the Amazon clone batteries cheaper than the cells for a rebuild.  Still might look into the Makita solution.  I think you'll enjoy the impact if you buy it.

The tool repair guy on Youtube has alot to say about tools - and he does rate Makita pretty highly (the new styles). If one were to go with say their 18v line, they could do alot worse. I just like the size and feel of the 9.6v version.
I put a bid in for $40 shipped for that used impact and the seller went for it. Prolly should hit HF and get some impact sockets and pack them all in a Makita box. I have one that might work.
Also working on a battery jig that will run off of 12 volts yet slide right into the handle of the old tools. If that works out then running out of fresh batteries wouldn't be so bad.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 03:51:32 PM by bonneyman »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #1234 on: February 15, 2024, 06:12:04 PM »
Lookin' mighty good George!  -- Makita was ahead of the curve back then, and the longevity of their tools from that era proves the point.
I had a big dinosaur of an 198v Makita drill that was given to me, about 15 years old when I acquired it and got about 10 more years out of it before the switch died.
The original battery still worked, it didn't hold too much of a charge though.
If that drill hadn't been a huge unwieldy beast I would have replaced the switch and figure something out for the battery,  because it was absolutely a solid well made tool.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #1235 on: February 16, 2024, 04:09:41 PM »
I won these long flex DBE ratcheting wrenches from a YouTube channel I subscribe to.
Sadly the box was damaged and the smallest one was lost in transit, but I'd probably never use the 6mm×7mm and they were free so I can't complain.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1236 on: February 16, 2024, 05:28:00 PM »
Nice set! Congratulations --

Are they spline drive? I have some sets from Sunex that look similar, but are spine drive. They sure come in handy when working on suspensions and transverse engine pulleys.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #1237 on: February 16, 2024, 07:13:53 PM »
Nice set! Congratulations --

Are they spline drive? I have some sets from Sunex that look similar, but are spine drive. They sure come in handy when working on suspensions and transverse engine pulleys.
They're just standard 12pt.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #1238 on: February 16, 2024, 07:36:09 PM »
Count me envious! I have wanted a set like those since GF showed his set years ago! Congrats 👏
« Last Edit: February 16, 2024, 08:02:00 PM by Uncle Buck »
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #1239 on: February 16, 2024, 09:29:25 PM »
Count me envious! I have wanted a set like those since GF showed his set years ago! Congrats 👏
The craziest part is that I wasn't really formally entered or anything.
He reviews tools and has apparently been doing giveaways for the excess wrench sets he doesn't need, being a commenter/ subscriber I was automatically eligible and won.

I don't even have a proper set of metric combo wrenches yet ( my DOE's have gotten the job done ) , so I accepted these to help decide if I actually need ratcheting wrenches.
I prefer American made but if I find the need I'll go for some ratcheting wrenches which would have to be Taiwanese, If I find that I don't I'll go WRIGHT tool or vintage /Ebay for some regular metric combos.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #1240 on: February 24, 2024, 10:35:52 PM »
Finally snagged the Makita impact wrench. Disassembled, clean and lubed, ready to go. Need to grab a set of impact sockets, then give it a workout. Never having had an impact wrench before I don't know what to look for, but it should prove useful on bicycles, lawn mowers, and garden equipment.
Should also work with my newly crafted car charger to stick battery adapter.   :great:

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1241 on: February 24, 2024, 11:15:10 PM »
that is cool! i cannot say i have ever seen one of them before!
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #1242 on: February 24, 2024, 11:54:17 PM »
That is a new one on me too! I use to have one of those drills myself! Had I known about those I likely would have bought one myself back then!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #1243 on: February 25, 2024, 10:13:20 AM »
that is cool! i cannot say i have ever seen one of them before!

Me too!
Totally unbeknownst to me at the time of my original drill purchase, Makita made a whole line of 9.6 volt tools. I think I saw a leaf blower model. That would be cool!

I'm trying to put together a comprehensive list with as much info as I can. Being an obsolete and discontinued line info is a bit scarce.

« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 10:14:53 AM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #1244 on: February 25, 2024, 10:18:21 AM »
Just an FYI, but somebody on Ebay is offering new-in-box impact wrenches for $80 plus shipping. Most of the internal parts are getting hard to find (so, repairs are next to impossible), but someone who really wants to try it out has this option.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p4432023.m570.l1313&_nkw=makita+6900D+impact&_sacat=0