Author Topic: Once upon a time I was a member  (Read 3059 times)

Online oldcarguy

Re: Once upon a time I was a member
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2023, 07:06:54 PM »
It's nice to know that I have been remembered. 67Galaxy now that you asked. I have eight children. Six girls and two boys,, along with nineteen grandchildren. It was my parenting responsibility to gift my children with with the gift of responsibility and the wings of independence.. I bestowed on them the importance of hard work and perseverance. All my children have not only have an undergraduate college degree; but Masters Degrees. Half of them have double Masters Degrees,, and one with a Doctorate. I'm the only college dropout in the family! But I saw to it that they didn't need the government to bail them out of debt. I've learned from my parents that you give a person a fish, they'll eat a meal. Teach a person to fish they'll eat for a life time. I figure that I've already gave them their gift, So it's my time to live for me... Anyhow it was their wish that I put their inheritance into my pleasure.

How did I do?

Here's a picture of my grinders, 12" by 24" 3 axis surface grinder, 6" by 18" two axis grinder, Monaset Tool and Cutter Grinder.

Welding area, Stick, MIG, and TIG Welders.

Vertical Bandsaw,, I have always wanted one of these..

Lathe 16" by 40"

Bridgeport clone

I've always wanted a Dake 50 Ton Hydraulic Press.

Radial Drill Press.

The Holy Grail of CNC Milling Machines. Full 3-axis with digitizing and engraving capabilities..

« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 07:11:23 PM by oldcarguy »

Offline 39Tudor

• Addicted to Anything That Takes Quarters!
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2023, 10:25:21 PM »
Welcome back OldCarGuy.  The rebuild looks fantastic!
Jerry

Offline muddy

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2023, 10:26:22 PM »
Man I don't think there's anything you won't be able to do in that shop! Very nice!

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Online oldcarguy

« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2023, 02:52:03 PM »

A big Hello from the OldCarGuy exploring the Uk these past three weeks. When I return in another week I’ll post an update of my rebuilding my garage work shop. Here’s three pictures taken along the way. Big Ben in London, a coal fired steam train I road all day out of Broadway, lastly Oxford University in Oxford. Many more places in between. The best part of England are the people. They are very outgoing and always more than willing to land a hand. One such example.. it was Sunday and I leaving Salisbury trying to catch the train. No taxis, busses, nor Ubers were running. One gentleman at the restaurant after overhearing my situation. Volunteered to carry my luggage to the train station on foot for a 30 minute walk to the train station. And refused my offer of a tip. 

One of the big downsides is the price of fuel. Though both gasoline (petro as it’s called here) are the same price but equivalent  to $7.05 per gallon in dollars. OUCH! 
« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 02:58:11 PM by oldcarguy »

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2023, 02:57:10 PM »
Thank you for taking the time to post these wonderful vacation pics.

Offline john k

« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2023, 03:07:04 PM »
Thanks for the  vacation photos.   I have no difficulty living vicariously through others adventures.

Online oldcarguy

« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2023, 03:11:40 PM »

It not easy to post pictures of this phone. Let’s see how this short video clip goes. When I travel I always go out of my way to ride coal fired steam trains. Reminds me of my childhood memories from 70 years ago. Smell bring a big part of it. I grew up with homes being heated with coal. And hung out around locomotives. When I traveled to Austrailian the engineer, being an old timer like me, let me take the controls and even shovel the coal. That locomotive was the early 1900’s. While this one is a1950 model. The second locomotive was a 1940 model that I rode on this trip.

Sadly I see the video didn’t work.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2023, 03:15:19 PM by oldcarguy »

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2023, 09:45:07 PM »
 very cool!

england? those are my people!

my grandparents emigrated from there on my moms side. my sis still has some contact with family there.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline eborcim

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2023, 05:13:26 PM »
OCG, glad to see you are well and doing good.  I remember your escapade with the custom enclosed trailer for your cars. Live longer and prosper more!

Online oldcarguy

« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2023, 03:18:11 AM »
OCG, glad to see you are well and doing good.  I remember your escapade with the custom enclosed trailer for your cars. Live longer and prosper more!

Thank you sir. Though I don't have the energy of the past. I am still going at it.

You have a good memory about my battle with the ClassAct Trailer company. It had thousands of views, with a few of questionable posters with agendas.  If you care to be entertained here's the link.. https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/threads/my-class-act-trailers-structural-integrity-failure.36910/

The bottom line: The ramp door was made by a company called Nappanee Window. That went out of business shortly after I purchased the trailer. I was able to contact the owner, who owned the ramp door patent . Who told me it was not designed for a car hauler! Rather for motorcycles or ATVs. I made the necessary repairs myself. And has no issues for the past 14 years carrying many cars over the door... There's a picture being pulled behind my motor home in this thread...

By the way ClassAct closed their doors within several months of my original posting.

Offline zeke

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2024, 02:08:11 PM »
Bringing back an old thread. I remember the GJ thread on the trailer. I'm reading your current threads here catching up.

Offline RayH

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2024, 03:28:00 PM »
I've just joined GG and recently been enjoying reading OCG  (a recent member) on Machinists Gazette.

OCG's story is astonishing.

Congratulations on your success and I hope you continue to share your shop/automotive/travel activities with us for a long time.

:sign0098:

Now, off to read about the trailer . . .