Author Topic: Need tractor advice  (Read 17907 times)

Offline m_fumich

Need tractor advice
« on: April 28, 2019, 03:06:23 PM »
I will be in the market for a tractor in the next 6 to 18 months. I’ve seen a few YouTube videos were the YouTuber was giving reasons not to buy Kubota or Mahindra. While I’d love an 8N or 9N Ford, I want a front loader. A 3-point hutch and PTO are ubiquitous. I want to be able to use the 5’ rotary cutter I have and I’d like to get a detachable backhoe setup.

Any recommendations? Cost is a BIG factor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline coolmercury

Re: Need tractor advice
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 03:57:47 PM »
There are always people telling you not to buy a certain tractor.  I had a 1985 JD 850 that I sold recently and it never gave me any trouble.  I have a 5410 JD and it has been a lemon from day one.  And I have a 6800 Kubota that has never been down a day.  Of all the tractors I have had the Kubota is first on my list.  I don't know anything about the Mahrindra tractors, but I like their off road utility vehicle.

Offline muddy

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 08:03:44 PM »
Assuming we're talking compact tractors? Kubota's one downfall is their lightness, their often a bit light weight (both physical weight and material wise). If maintained and not abused kubota's are good tractors. I've seen many with high hours still getting the job done.

Ford / New Holland tractors are good and can be gotten for fair prices as well.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 28, 2019, 08:06:05 PM by muddy »

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2019, 08:06:46 PM »
Assuming we're talking vcompact tractors? Kubota's one downfall is their lightness, they aren't as heavy-duty as some others.

Ford / New Holland tractors are good and can be gotten for fair prices.

I only need one big enough to operate a 5’ bush hog and a backhoe attachment without breaking. If I could find an 8N with a bucket, I’d get that.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 08:37:39 PM »
We almost purchased a Kubota compact as we were getting desperate for a tractor. Then right before we pulled the trigger we found a used Massey Ferguson 40B industrial tractor with a 5300lb capacity bucket and a Gannon box scraper with hydraulic tilt for a fraction of the cost of the new tractor. I have put some $800 into it and am still way ahead. I have been able to do far more with the bigger tractor that I couldn't do with a compact. An example is a new neighbor didn't need the horse corral on his property and we removed posts which were railroad ties cemented in. The large capacity bucket makes moving landscaping rocks and gravel a breeze.
I also felt that a box scraper is more useful to me than a backhoe.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2019, 08:43:16 PM »
I’ve got a small pond, about 1/6 acre, that’s irregular shaped. I want to excavate it to make it a bit deeper and more regular shaped. Our second pond just needs to be deeper. I’ll chip away at them if need be. While a bigger tractor would be nicer, I doubt I’ll have more than $3500 to spend. I can get an 8N or 9N for $1000. Some of the old Farmall’s are that cheap but I really need something that has a bucket or that I can put a bucket on later.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2019, 09:04:07 PM »
We bought the 40B for $3000. I test drove a 9N a guy wanted $3000 for with a bucket and scraper and sitting inside that pipe loader frame made me uncomfortable.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 10:00:09 PM »
For running the cutter the little N's would work. You could even do some digging with them using a rear mounted scoop. BUT The backhoe/FEL are not so easy to run on the N's and certainly hard to switch back and forth from the cutter to the hoe. My opinion would be to look at the 600/800 series fords and plan on renting a backhoe when needed.

The hundred series fords are much better machines than the old N's. And they're priced about the same around here. They have @ the same sized footprint as the N's.  They have an OHV 4 cylinder with 2x the HP of the N's. They have alive hydraulic system that runs all the time not just when the clutch is engaged like the N's. Also the X60s have a 5 speed trans with a dual stage clutch that works like a live PTO. Its really nice to stop forward movement but have the PTO still running. N's cant do that.

I have N's, 100s and 1000 series Fords setting out back. If I just want to putt around the place, maybe haul some feed the 8N gets the call. I love the sound of the little flat head 4. But if any real work needs to be done I'll get the 860 or the 2000 out.

Offline Midnitemack

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 03:52:29 AM »
I have an International 454 amongst the bunch I have here , I know they were sold in the US , it’s been a great little tractor and might be ideal for what you want to do..... My Dad had a saying.... a bigger tractor can do the work of a small tractor but a small tractor can’t do the work of a big tractor . My advice is don’t go too small Matt .

Offline Rusty

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 08:23:59 PM »
The 850 was made by Yanmar in Japan. While the 5410 was made in Georgia.
"Those wars are unjust which are undertaken without provocation.
 For only a war waged for revenge or defense can be just"

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2019, 08:57:22 PM »
For running the cutter the little N's would work. You could even do some digging with them using a rear mounted scoop. BUT The backhoe/FEL are not so easy to run on the N's and certainly hard to switch back and forth from the cutter to the hoe. My opinion would be to look at the 600/800 series fords and plan on renting a backhoe when needed.

The hundred series fords are much better machines than the old N's. And they're priced about the same around here. They have @ the same sized footprint as the N's.  They have an OHV 4 cylinder with 2x the HP of the N's. They have alive hydraulic system that runs all the time not just when the clutch is engaged like the N's. Also the X60s have a 5 speed trans with a dual stage clutch that works like a live PTO. Its really nice to stop forward movement but have the PTO still running. N's cant do that.

I have N's, 100s and 1000 series Fords setting out back. If I just want to putt around the place, maybe haul some feed the 8N gets the call. I love the sound of the little flat head 4. But if any real work needs to be done I'll get the 860 or the 2000 out.

The digging work I need done will take too long and I’d only be able to work at it a little at a time. Rental would exceed the cost of a used backhoe.

I did not know about the limitations of the PTO on the N’s. That is helpful.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2019, 08:31:55 AM »
Can someone in simple terms tell me what the new requirements for diesel tractors and trucks (additives) mean in terms of cost and upkeep. 

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2019, 09:49:12 AM »
i would never tell anyone to by an 8n or 9n ford as a utility tractor. they sold piles of them for 2 reasons. they were cheap and  they had a 3 pt. beyond theat, they are too light, have too small of tires,  have no power steering, no live pto and crappy hydraulics if any.

if you need to do any serious work you need live or independant pto, good hydraulics,   power steering  and a good 3 pt. hitch.

if you want to do back hoe work, there is nothing that will fit on an old ford that is worth having. for that matter i doubt that anything you find in your price range  would be sufficient to run a back hoe.  a back hoe needs lots of flow and capacity something few older, smaller tractors have.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline muddy

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2019, 11:21:53 AM »
i would never tell anyone to by an 8n or 9n ford as a utility tractor. they sold piles of them for 2 reasons. they were cheap and  they had a 3 pt. beyond theat, they are too light, have too small of tires,  have no power steering, no live pto and crappy hydraulics if any.

if you need to do any serious work you need live or independant pto, good hydraulics,   power steering  and a good 3 pt. hitch.

if you want to do back hoe work, there is nothing that will fit on an old ford that is worth having. for that matter i doubt that anything you find in your price range  would be sufficient to run a back hoe.  a back hoe needs lots of flow and capacity something few older, smaller tractors have.
My thoughts exactly. They are just glorified lawn tractors.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2019, 01:54:51 PM »
So if I want a tractor just for pulling a trailer around when I’m cleaning up the property or using an implement requiring a 3 pt hitch, then a $1000 8N would do the trick? Because my $3000 John Deere X350 can’t pull a trailer big enough to be of much use. I may just have to get 2 tractors.