Author Topic: 1951 Farmall Super A  (Read 3683 times)

Offline highland512

1951 Farmall Super A
« on: June 12, 2023, 10:44:51 PM »
I have always liked taking a pile of forgotten tractor and getting it back up into running condition. I also take alot of pride in gardening and raising food that my wife preserves and we eat on it all year. The need of raising more produce is starting to become more than I can keep up with. This leads me to the next project. I was searching on the internet for several months for a small off set farmall cultivator tractor or allis chalmers g. The G is still commanding big $ so that was out. I finally landed on this 1951 Farmall Super A with cultivators. I bought it from the kids of the gentleman who had owned it since 1963. It is a fairly straight tractor and came with all the tooling I could find in 3 building that where about to collapse. 

Offline highland512

Re: 1951 Farmall Super A
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2023, 10:52:04 PM »

It came with a tools I was able to grab out of the buildings that where falling in. I think I have 2 or 3 full sets of tools and the side dresser.

Where the machine was bought by the previous owner.

There is a lot of work to do and I keep taking photos and updating. It will start this weekend with a good cleaning.

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2023, 02:04:20 PM »
Very nice, cannot wait to see it all spiffy.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2023, 02:06:18 PM »
Looks like a fun project!

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2023, 03:12:18 PM »
a pretty rare and unique piece of tractor history there. at least in my part of the world. we have the green version of that, an m, in our family. it was my dads and my son has claimed it. no attachments for it though. the jd m had several versions. the  m (set up similar to yours) the  mc (a crawler) and the mt (a single wheel tricycle kind of like a hi-crop). the mt could also be fitted with a wide front or twin narrow front tires but still had more clearance like a hi-crop.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline highland512

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2023, 07:20:59 PM »
a pretty rare and unique piece of tractor history there. at least in my part of the world. we have the green version of that, an m, in our family. it was my dads and my son has claimed it. no attachments for it though. the jd m had several versions. the  m (set up similar to yours) the  mc (a crawler) and the mt (a single wheel tricycle kind of like a hi-crop). the mt could also be fitted with a wide front or twin narrow front tires but still had more clearance like a hi-crop.
I was talking with a guy at work and he seems to think jd made an offset tractor. I say no, what’s sk think?

In my part of the Midwest there are still tons of cubs, a’s, b’s, and c’s but the tools where long ago sent to the scrap yards to be turned into pittsburg wrenches. From my looking almost all of these that are left with the tools are in tobacco country or Mi/Wi (beet country).

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2023, 07:42:23 PM »
Excellent find! As a suburbanite all my life I know next to nothing about farm equipment. Looking forward to learning something new -- Thank!!!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2023, 08:08:47 PM »
The little offset Cub (A smaller less powerful version of the Super C) equipped with a snow blade, wheel weights and a woods belly mower was always my dream tractor. The Super  C is better though.

Don't get your hopes up for anytime soon, but somewhere in all of my crap I absolutely know that I have an original IH manual specifically for the Super C .  If/when I find it I will send it to you. I  know now I will never be buying any farm tractors.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2023, 10:52:53 PM »
Excellent find! As a suburbanite all my life I know next to nothing about farm equipment. Looking forward to learning something new -- Thank!!!

With your aptitude older farm tractors would be like working on a vintage car, only heavier. A Super C and others like that would be a fun little project. I don't know from personal experience but I have been told that 8 & 9 N Ford tractors in particular are good tractors to steer clear of though.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2023, 09:08:01 AM »
I was talking with a guy at work and he seems to think jd made an offset tractor. I say no, what’s sk think?

In my part of the Midwest there are still tons of cubs, a’s, b’s, and c’s but the tools where long ago sent to the scrap yards to be turned into pittsburg wrenches. From my looking almost all of these that are left with the tools are in tobacco country or Mi/Wi (beet country).
sk says your friend is correct. the "L" and "M" are offset like your ih.

both tractors also featured upright 2 cylinders vs the standard  horizontal in most other jd tractors of the time.  the m progressed to the 40, 320, 420, 330, 430 with upright gas powered twins while the 435 featured a  gm detroit deisel twin.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline slip knot

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2023, 09:31:14 PM »
Thats a nice sized tractor. My ex FIL had one, when he passed away it got brought to my house for disposal. still got a few pieces around for it.

Offline muddy

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2023, 08:15:40 PM »
Learned to drive on my dad's M. He overhuled it before I was born. He was going to sell it when he bought his compact, but decided to keep it for me.

I believe itll be a great resto project for the kids and I.

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline john k

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2023, 10:35:51 PM »
Grew up on red tractors here.  Was using my 1943 Farmall M today, it is a survivor, never been retired to the barn or windbreak.   Good luck on the C.

Offline Midnitemack

1951 Farmall Super A
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2023, 01:10:49 AM »
Awesome to see your A, I have an M tucked away in the shed , it’s a “one day” project !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 17, 2023, 02:19:00 PM by Midnitemack »

Offline highland512

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2023, 03:21:41 PM »
Spent Saturday with the pressure washer and the super A. After about 4 hours of washing the little tractor looks pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 11:26:33 AM by highland512 »