Author Topic: Ya ever wondered?  (Read 6006 times)

Offline Lance

Ya ever wondered?
« on: January 16, 2019, 03:32:46 PM »
Every now and then I get a germ of an idea and thanks to search engines I can either get about proving it or disproving it pretty easy.  Got one the other night when I about had my fill of the 40 and under social component of the population. 

I've noted for years how that group only asks old farts questions when they need an answer, and dammit they just want the answer not any of the background of how that answer is arrived at.  Why the hell would they want anything other than the answer they need to fill in the blank?  Dang kids usually go outright hostile when you respond with anything that don't fit the blank too.  They're worse than a woman who carrys a crossword puzzle book and lacks vocabulary.

Pretty much the last 20 years I've laid it to the wonderful work of Union Public School teachers and the "system".  Last 10 years I've been leaning toward the increasing population of girlymen being due to additional Estrogen in public drinking water since that minimally reported factor was pointed out to me by a Phd Chemist who knew of what she spoke.

Today I was talking to a friend who reminded me her little brother had medically flunked out of Basic in the Army because of his breathing issues at age 19.  Asked how the kid wound up and learned he got a job and did OK till his first heart attack at 32.  Pretty much went downhill from there, and he's been on SSDI since he turned 38.  Oddly there is no evidence of breathing or heart issues in the parents or siblings.  Doctors pretty much agreed the kid brother's issues were caused by him being on Ritalin from 5th grade on.  That peaked my curiosity.

I've long understood Doctors only look at the instant problem, hell, my Cardiac meds scared me when I looked them up and read the interactions and side effects when I started on them, I flat out informed Dr Quack WE would be changing a few or I wouldn't be swallowing them.  Then I factored in my 16 year old girlfriend Katie.  Her "Mother" had no problem shoving pills down her neck from the age of 10.  All legal and written by a Pediatrician, and they kept Katie chilled and out of the way.  Custody changed to her dad a year back, and goal 1 became getting Katie off SPEED. It ain't easy to do, but it is being accomplished and Katie is a lot happier kid.  Of course SPEED for a few years left Katie with less stamina than I have at 5 times her age.  Damned if the search engine didn't tell me the SPEED good doctor Next Patient (victim) wrote for Katie didn't account for her shortcoming.

More I look at things the more I become convinced the Ritalin Revolution got the ball rolling.  Society went and murdered the curious and the thinkers with little pills to make life easier for Union teachers.
Sure seems like the number of Drug Stores grew faster than increased population fits, and we ain't even talking about all the drug ads on TV.
We might be screwed.

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
Re: Ya ever wondered?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 07:20:46 PM »
On the same page regarding that whole sham, pill controlled children.. Boys hyper well wtf, that's the way I was. Still am, just in a different maner,, some say its motivation, some call it energy. I call it getting things done, not being lazy.

Women are cranky, pushy, self absorbed, no one's got a pill for that ... the new non-males are afraid of em, I'm amazed how wimpy men are today, cry like little pussies.

******* sugar shorts  :-\ ...(thank you Steve it fits)

A people observer I am and there are a load of fools that have a 45* view of the world beyond that frigging toy AKA cell phone.

All good I'll be leaving in the near future, and do not give a rats azz . All this stuff bothers me less and less the further down the road I go.

Pep
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 11:37:16 PM »
If we were hyper growing up we were told to go outside and play to burn it off. One of the things that bugs us about the new generation is their response when you thank them. At dinner tonight we got responses to a thank you of "no worries, of course and no problem." When I was younger I would of got my ass smacked or a slap on the head if I responded that way instead of replying with "you're welcome." It pisses the wife off to hear those improper responses and when she had to hire a new office girl she went through quite a few prospects until she found one who replied with "you're welcome."

Offline highland512

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 07:13:58 AM »
Im wondering if your dating a 16 year old.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 08:19:39 AM »
I see several issues here.

Profit motive for the drug companies.  They pushed Ritalin pretty hard.  Of course they implied it was harmless.

I'll give the teachers unions some of the blame also

And some blame to less physical activity in schools.

I saw a video of a Japanese elementary school of the kids in between classes.  The boys especially were acting batshit crazy, yelling, running around and in general, having some fun.  I got the impression the breaks were 10 to 15 minutes long.  Goes along exactly with what DN was saying, burn it off.  Kids are going to be hyper and need that release so the Japanese give it to them instead of drugging them.

One teacher wanted to put  my middle son on Ritalin but we wouldn't allow it thankfully.  He was a handful but is now a wonderful Dad and full time fireman

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2019, 03:16:05 PM »

Yeah I noticed that too. Hope that was an error.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline hofferwood

• It's all good
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2019, 03:43:30 PM »

Yeah I noticed that too. Hope that was an error.

Gotta be true Bob--------it was on the internet. ;D
If it aint broke----fix it till it is-----there's nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2019, 06:15:04 PM »
 :))  good to see you back Chuck.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline walrus

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2019, 04:46:59 AM »
What % of kids are/were on ritalin. Never heard of any in my circle of friends but that doesn't mean much. Pretty hard to blame a whole generation or 2 without having some stats to back it up?? Sounds like a get off my lawn argument

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2019, 07:38:34 AM »
What % of kids are/were on ritalin. Never heard of any in my circle of friends but that doesn't mean much. Pretty hard to blame a whole generation or 2 without having some stats to back it up?? Sounds like a get off my lawn argument

Yes -- I think that's a myth. For years it was said that the schools were advocating, and actually dispensing the drug for combating severe ADHD -- but like many urban myths no one could ever prove it. It may have been suggested during individual parent/teacher meetings, but I doubt massive drugging would have escaped the media for very long.

Offline muddy

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2019, 08:47:50 AM »
I've been on meds since 2nd grade. Ritilan made me a zombie, (no emotions, not very social).

If it is a true inbalance in the chemicals in the brain, I believe medication will work. However today I think it is used as a tool to push aside poor parenting. I agree medication is often not the answer, but sometimes it is.

I'm now 31 and it took a good 15 years to find the right combo of medicine that works for me. My family and friends can see a major difference when I am not on medication. My concentration, anxiety, and ADDHD are kept under control with the meds. I've gone from a troublesome child that may not have had a good future, to having a healthy steady job, a mortgage and a wonderful family.

And please tell me we all read that 16 yr old girlfriend bit wrong?!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2019, 09:01:08 AM »
When the vast majority of a member's posts on a tool board are long screeds in the political section, I wonder why they're here.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2019, 09:03:45 AM by Lookin4_67GalaxieConv »
boop/bop/beep