Author Topic: Post virus world changes  (Read 14641 times)

Offline jabberwoki

Post virus world changes
« on: March 21, 2020, 10:46:43 PM »
When this crap settles down, what changes in the word do you see?
More power to the Britain brexit movement in other countries ? A shunning of china?
Should be interesting.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline pep

• Personal TEXT
Re: Post virus world changes
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2020, 06:42:16 AM »
Hopefully more people staying home off the roads.

Reality SOSDD   :lol_hitting:
1776 ................... what happened!

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2020, 08:01:31 AM »
More regard for those who prepare for emergencies.  We have only bought bread, milk and orange juice during the past couple of weeks.  And, we can last for at least three months without those items.  I learned my lessons in Florida having lived there for 59 years and experiencing dozens of hurricanes.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2020, 08:53:07 AM »
I don't predict any major effects. Our economy is based on consumer spending and that dynamic will not change. Human nature will kick-in and people will go on spending sprees to restock their homes or make themselves more comfortable. I see the travel industry revitalized this summer as people will want to take advantage of all the discounts being offered by the various corporations -- hotels, airlines, cruises, etc.

Watch for steep discounts on cars and consumer goods coming later this year. Inventory for 2020 is piled up and that needs to move out before the 2021 inventory can hit the shelves.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2020, 09:30:52 AM »
I see a lot of the small mom and Pop places shutting down and going away. They wont be able to take the loss'. Some of the bigger corp. may go belly up too. if they don't get bailed out :021: :021: I don't see Boeing coming out of this in one piece. The travel industries will struggle short term, but we as a people are pretty forgetful so they can make it if they can hold out long enough.

The companies that cater to the prepper crowd will boom short term, but again we are a forgetful people.

This is making the assumption that this Wuhan virus mess doesn't drag on for months/years.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2020, 09:55:41 AM »
Hard to predict the future - too many variables involved. Though I don't expect things to return to the old kind of "normal".

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2020, 10:23:19 AM »
We had a major shaker two years ago that tumbled buildings and killed a bunch of people.  Most of the buildings are rebuilt or bare lots, the funerals are done and life goes on pretty much as before.

This will be the same.  We are too lazy to remain vigilent against a virus that made the rounds two years ago.  We won't be worried about this in two years.

And a lot of idiots will have mouse chewed tp stockpiled  they hate to leave for guests.

My uncle had 40 plastic tubs of dry type prepper foods in his garage that all got tossed after his death.  Couldn't sell it and nobody was brave enough to eat 12 year old buggy grains.

Life goes on once we pass the speed bumps.
But keep up the demand for ammo.  It drives up my pay on scrap brass and lead.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 10:27:04 AM by strik9 »

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2020, 11:09:55 AM »
I would feel more comfortable if I could source a good human flesh cookbook.  :93:
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2020, 11:44:54 AM »
I would feel more comfortable if I could source a good human flesh cookbook.  :93:

As in ......."To Serve Man!" -- guys our age remember that title.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2020, 12:48:57 PM »

Too many fat ones around here. By the time you got the grease fire out there wouldn't be nothing left. :lol_hitting:

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2020, 12:55:04 PM »

What how hard is it to cook up some ribs and a side of thighs?
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2020, 01:20:07 PM »
I do not know what changes are to come, but while I expect there to be a few I don't think they'll be very significant.
Think about how it must have been during the polio pandemic or the first influenza outbreak, medicine was not as advanced as it was now and a lot of the technology and conveniences we have today were not present.
Information in the palm of your hand, food delivery everywhere,grocery and supply delivery available within hours.

Major changes came when those eye openers wiped through the nation, at this point I'm not sure there's much that can change unless people change their way of life in a major way which we all know nobody wants to do.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2020, 03:06:19 PM »
gang,

On the upside, the local fuel prices have improved dramatically in the last month; i.e. Gas=$1.81 & Diesel=$2.25.  Not bad!

How about your areas?
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2020, 04:58:04 PM »
gang,

On the upside, the local fuel prices have improved dramatically in the last month; i.e. Gas=$1.81 & Diesel=$2.25.  Not bad!

How about your areas?

Fuel hasn't dropped more than a few cents in my area. $2.31 for Regular 87 octane. DC suburban neighborhoods pay some of the highest prices, and as usual they are the first to go up, and the last to go down.

Daughter paid $1.97 at a deep discount at COSTCO though.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 04:59:56 PM by goodfellow »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2020, 06:19:31 PM »
I fueled the truck and a 5gal can today. Unleaded was $2.56/gal and ethanol free was $2.96/gal which is about .40/gal lower than 2 weeks ago.