Author Topic: Any cigar smokers on the GG?  (Read 139010 times)

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Re: Any cigar smokers on the GG?
« Reply #795 on: February 26, 2024, 09:34:19 AM »
I smoked one of the mild ones in the separate zip lock yesterday. I am finding the milder Smokes more to my liking than those that are not. I struggle a bit with those.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #796 on: February 26, 2024, 09:49:17 AM »
I smoked one of the mild ones in the separate zip lock yesterday. I am finding the milder Smokes more to my liking than those that are not. I struggle a bit with those.
Everyone has a different palate. The irony of it is that as you get more into cigars and as you age, your taste changes - - often radically. Twenty years ago I was a fan of milder Dominican blend cigars. It was the only sticks I smoked. Today, I love the bold Nicaraguan and Ecuadorian blends with Corojo wrappers. Rarely do I smoke a Dominican Puro anymore.

Smoke what you enjoy. If the Sweets hit the spot, then that’s your niche. Price doesn’t mean much in many cases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline muddy

« Reply #797 on: February 26, 2024, 07:32:56 PM »
Everyone has a different palate. The irony of it is that as you get more into cigars and as you age, your taste changes - - often radically. Twenty years ago I was a fan of milder Dominican blend cigars. It was the only sticks I smoked. Today, I love the bold Nicaraguan and Ecuadorian blends with Corojo wrappers. Rarely do I smoke a Dominican Puro anymore.

Smoke what you enjoy. If the Sweets hit the spot, then that’s your niche. Price doesn’t mean much in many cases.

Its often comparable to beer. When your young you drink the cheap watery stuff. As you get older your palette changes and the stronger hoppyier becomes a nice treat.

It happens alot with pipe smokers. They often gravitate to aromatics as beginner blends (rightfully so and I recommend it) but then they try Virginia, burley or English blends and it opens a whole new world for them.

But in the long run (and sometimes this is hard for the pipe/cigar world to grasp) smoke what you like the way you like there really is no wrong way.

Sent from my twisted mind of the mudman

Offline muddy

« Reply #798 on: March 02, 2024, 09:51:28 PM »
Some Half & Half in a new to me pipe.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #799 on: March 02, 2024, 10:53:50 PM »
Cool pipe there mudman!  :cool2:

Offline muddy

« Reply #800 on: March 03, 2024, 08:21:24 AM »
Cool pipe there mudman!  :cool2:
Thanks not sure on who made it. This is my second smoke in it. Have to experiment with the packing of tobbaco in it. It seems to be a tad tight doing it the regular way. All part of the learning process.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #801 on: March 07, 2024, 10:12:26 AM »
Finally a decent sunny and warm day. February was all rain and clouds. Time to enjoy a cigar. Perdomo Champagne in Robusto. I’ve smoked these in size Toro and there is no difference in taste and performance. Great cigar from Nick Perdomo and family.

Offline muddy

« Reply #802 on: March 07, 2024, 10:16:28 PM »
Well I ordered this corn cob from Missouri Meerschaum. They are the largest corn cob pipes maker. On the website this one caught my eye and I knew I'd like to have it.

However I'm not very happy with the fit and finish. The finish leaves a bit to be desired. There's filler caked all over the bowl in the right side. Also the steam isn't drilled true in the bowl.

For a $12 pipe things like these are to be expected however my other corncobs have better fit and finish.

I reached out to MM to let them know my disappointment. I'm not expecting anything other then just to let them know of this quality slip.  However looking on the website this style pipes is no longer there.....

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #803 on: March 11, 2024, 09:41:12 PM »
Disappointing for a company with such a storied past and such a rich history.  I hope they don't dissapoint and reach out to you to resolve the issue.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #804 on: March 11, 2024, 09:48:21 PM »
Growing up in Missouri I remember seeing MM brand pipes for sale everywhere,  grocery stores,  drug stores etc. I don't know about these days.

You should have gotten one of those big honkin pipes like General MacArthur used to smoke mudman! I noticed they still sell them.

Offline muddy

« Reply #805 on: March 11, 2024, 10:18:01 PM »
Disappointing for a company with such a storied past and such a rich history.  I hope they don't dissapoint and reach out to you to resolve the issue.
They did the right thing (although not necessary) and are sending me another one.

Unfortunately lately their QC has been slipping. Seeing quite a few posts on Facebook about it.

Offline muddy

« Reply #806 on: March 11, 2024, 10:19:04 PM »
Growing up in Missouri I remember seeing MM brand pipes for sale everywhere,  grocery stores,  drug stores etc. I don't know about these days.

You should have gotten one of those big honkin pipes like General MacArthur used to smoke mudman! I noticed they still sell them.
If anything I would get one just for a conversation piece. That would be one long smoke with a lot of tobbaco.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Any cigar smokers on the GG?
« Reply #807 on: March 25, 2024, 12:35:20 PM »
A great day here at the old homestead, and it deserves a great cigar. True Cuban Ramon Allones that’s been aging in the humidor for five years. Sweet, smooth, with a dried fruit and floral taste. Absolutely perfect.