Author Topic: Cadillac DTS front brakes sticking and worn strut bearing -  (Read 9183 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Cadillac DTS front brakes sticking and worn strut bearing -
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2019, 03:04:14 PM »
I usually don't post anything from the other "channel", but this post directly relates to the brake lube problem. Same issues are discussed.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=432027

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2019, 06:01:01 PM »
I usually don't post anything from the other "channel", but this post directly relates to the brake lube problem. Same issues are discussed.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=432027
I blame both the OEM and lubricant manufacturers for not being open about the composition of the components or any compatibility issues.  This leads to what we see here.

There is no universal answer here but I have found that using a silicone grease or lubricant on rubber or plastic components prevents problems.  When replacing the rubber seals on my air-cooled VW bugs there were many who recommend using dishwashing liquid or similar soap-based compound for lubricant.  I found that a simple spray with silicone lube would last longer and not get sticky as it dried.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline ron350

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2019, 07:44:36 PM »

That guy used Super Lube Synthetic Grease #21030 made for ratchets etc. not for brake rubber.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2019, 08:37:19 PM »
I will report back on the Sil-Glyde product. I would guess that even plain old silicone di-electric grease would suffice to keep the rubber from deteriorating, but i don't know what extreme heat and cold would do to the viscosity.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2019, 07:13:52 AM »
I will report back on the Sil-Glyde product. I would guess that even plain old silicone di-electric grease would suffice to keep the rubber from deteriorating, but i don't know what extreme heat and cold would do to the viscosity.
That is what GM recommends for door and T-top seals.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2019, 03:46:41 PM »
Well it's been 2-1/2 months since I had these issues with the grease and the boots/seals. I'm quite happy to report that the noise due to boot and seal problems have not returned in both the Caddy and the Traverse. The Sil-Glyde seems to do the trick on this application. 

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2019, 09:01:11 PM »
Yeah, one has to be careful with polymer compatibility everywhere these days. (The HVAC industry is a real can o worms!)
I remember when I had the Toyota I would add marvel Mystery Oil to the gas tank to help lube the upper end on the new motor. Must have added a bit too much, as the auxillary accelerator pump on the carb had the diaphram dissolve and flood the thing with gas till the engine warmed up. Then fine. Seems the solvents in the MMO don't like new rubber parts.