Author Topic: Another reason to avoid MB cars --  (Read 3178 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Another reason to avoid MB cars --
« on: June 25, 2020, 04:22:46 PM »
I thought the water pump on a Cadillac late model Northstar was a pain, but this MB250 takes the cake. I see true professionals like Maic Salazar struggling with "German Engineering" all the time, and I thank the Lord that I don't have any of these cars. They are truly maintenance and repair nightmares; not to mention "wallet busters" for the customers.

Offline bonneyman

Re: Another reason to avoid MB cars --
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2020, 06:36:48 PM »
Holey freakin' moley! My head was spinning just listening to him talk about all the fasteners that had to come off. it almost looks like (to me anyway) that it might be easier to get the needed access and room by pulling off the front end.

I was in the shop a few weeks ago getting the oil changed and this lady with her two kids was waiting for her Japanese car to get fixed. The desk man calls her up and proceeds to tell her some sensor is showing bad on their diagnostic tool and needs replacing. Only thing is it'll take 5-6 hours to remove basically the whole top of the motor to get to it! She says she'll have to talk to her husband.

How dare the company's make things this asinine! And why do we put up with an EPA that makes pollution controls so strict an asthmatic cockroach with 3 legs tied behind it's back puts out too many emissions to run our cars?  :-[ :91: :41:
Me thinks it's time to boycott all of these over-engineered pieces of migraine wrapped in an ulcer.

I'm starting to miss my 86 Toyota again.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 06:45:52 PM by bonneyman »

Online J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2020, 07:13:24 PM »
I couldn't watch that. The design is ridiculous and that is way too complex and all that plastic crap involved isn't very comforting. Mercedes really crapped the bed on that one the water pump is bad but the alternator is buried under it - I hope it's accessed from the bottom and a leaking water pump doesn't kill it.

On the other hand the guy is a professional mechanic and for him to be crying like that about it is irritating. Plus he just yammers on endlessly to the point it's hard to follow him. His presentation is not at all organized or planned and that alone can spoil the message.

People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2020, 11:30:18 PM »
His presentation is not at all organized .....

Ya think? And what about his shop too? :38:

I could only watch a short section in the beginning, and fast forwarded to a few other points, then left.

Probably a great concept, poorly executed tho.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 07:19:55 AM »
You have to remember that engineers don't work on engines in cars, only on then before installation.  Thus, the answer is remove the engine to work on it. :a102:

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 09:11:04 AM »
The video was long, and compared to his other vids I venture to guess that it wasn't meant to be a DIY piece, but rather an example of the complexity that the technician faces on these over engineered vehicle platforms. Maic Salazar works for a well respected and long time independent service facility in my neck of the woods. The Tyson's Corner Virginia area is known for its high end real estate, retail/shopping, and high tech businesses; hence the area is teaming with high-priced luxury cars. He has a great channel, and many of his repair videos take the viewer deep into the weeds when it comes to electronic diagnostics -- something that he specializes in.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 05:52:57 PM »
Yeah, there were a couple of times with the BMW bike I would think to myself, if they had just put a little notch right here, that would take care of half the issues. But no. Basically, you had to pull the rear subframe to change the battery out. And the new Beetle I had was the absolute worst for changing the headlight. Great car otherwise, but man that was some weapons-grade stupidity.

Both cases, just bad engineering.