Author Topic: Vintage Craftsman Kromedge tap and die sets -  (Read 11149 times)

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Vintage Craftsman Kromedge tap and die sets -
« on: August 14, 2018, 09:08:39 PM »
These two sets have been with me since the mid-1970's. They seem to cut faster and more accurately than modern "tool truck" sets. I have several tool truck sets that were purchased within the last 10 years, but they are vastly inferior to these old C-man sets.

I believe that Uncle Buck has these same sets, but he was able to also source the larger-sized add-on sets to complement those shown here. I wish I had the ready cash at the time to afford that option -- what a great value these things were.

IIRC they were sourced from Hanson by Sears at the time (please correct me if I'm wrong)

« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 09:12:57 PM by goodfellow »

Offline bonneyman

Re: Vintage Craftsman Kromedge tap and die sets -
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2018, 09:53:35 PM »
I've got two of the Kromedge - one is only a partial set. Very nice taps and dies for sure.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 12:36:30 AM »
I recently picked up a nib Kromedge metric tap and die set. I got to use it the other day.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2018, 07:56:50 AM »
My original 41 piece set I bought in HS was the set Ray showed. Has always worked flawlessly even today. Fortunately I was able to add the metric equivalent set years later, but still before the Craftsman band set sail for offshore.

Roughly 20 years ago Sears started offering what they called upgrade sets that were comprised of larger sizes of taps and dies that came in a box with all of the additional cavities where you could transfer your 41 piece set into the new bigger box that housed your new larger taps and dies giving you a set in SAE that went to either 3/4" or 1" or something like that I have forgotten the upper limit. I recall paying $100 the for the SAE set, and less for the equivalent Metric when I caught the set at a closeout price. Funny, I ended up adding the 41 piece metric set (smaller sizes) after buying the upgrade metric set.

So in the end I would up with large matching sets of Craftsman SAE and Metric sets which I am really glad I bought before the brand went offshore. 
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 08:38:21 AM by Uncle Buck »
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline muddy

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2018, 08:13:33 PM »
I always keep my eyes open for these sets at auctions and flea markets.

Offline mikef2316

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2018, 09:09:29 PM »
Finally got around to getting some pics of mine.  Some taps (probably broken) have been replaced with "impostors"

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2018, 09:31:38 AM »
Here's one of my sets. Can't find pics of my bigger, older set - might have to take a new pic to post.