Author Topic: The round head stigma  (Read 14752 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

The round head stigma
« on: March 24, 2019, 10:15:48 AM »
I often hear many people say they don't like round head ratchets, usually younger guys my age up to guys in their 30's.
It seems to me that if you were born say after 1970 you very likely grew up around Craftsman tear drops or some form of round head, if they weren't S-K or Wright they were probably put off by the bottom of the barrel round head imports that have flooded the market for the longest time now.

I know as a kid what I knew as a ratchet were these very ratchets from various cheap sets my dad had, and kind of got a bad taste for round heads.
It seemed like the good ratchets were all pear heads or teardrops, and for the most part that's true in inexpensive import ratchets.
Most cheap ratchets these days are a lot better than the cheap ratchets I grew up around, and they're mostly pear heads.
Your bottom of the barrel $5 3/8 ratchet set still comes with the cheapest of the cheap round head  that might as well have a plastic mechanism.

With the new double position S-K mechanism I hear nothing but good things about it seems the selector and slightly thicker head are probably the only things left that may be a detractor.
So why do people still hate round heads ?
I've gotten past the stigma a bit and have found I like a good round head in 1/4, and find a thumb wheel 1/4 round head quite handy.

I still need to try myself an S-K, I'm not sure if a Wright is a must try though.
Should I try a Wright too ?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 10:18:48 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline DeadNutz

Re: The round head stigma
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 01:36:46 PM »
I don't know of any stigma against round head ratchets. I've got quite a few that I use and they work quite well. As far as the import ones I have those also and they work just fine.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 02:14:22 PM »
I don't know of any stigma against round head ratchets. I've got quite a few that I use and they work quite well. As far as the import ones I have those also and they work just fine.
Maybe Stigma was the wrong choice of words
I just often hear people say they don't like round head ratchets, and I assumed they might be just associating the design with those common crappy plastic selector ratchets included in the cheapest sets you can buy.
Any of them I've experienced would reverse themselves, slip, and skip, and they weren't heavily used.
Cheap tools are a lot better than they used to be I guess.

Of course I also hear people call them outdated, but I suppose that new S-K mechanism changes that
Always lookin' to learn

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2019, 05:35:22 PM »
the round heads are hard to use as a hammer.  :D

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 06:12:08 PM »
I think it all depends on what style you "cut your teeth on".
When I was a boy, my dad used S-K. So, that's what I was used to using on my bicycle, projects, etc. When I got out on my own and started working mechanics, naturally I gravitated toward S-K, because that was what I was used to. About two years later I was walking through the tool section of a big box store, and found an individual Thorsen roundhead sitting on the shelf. I asked the clerk, he didn't know where it went, so told me, "How about a $1?" I figured I needed a spare, so I took it. Those two ratchets were the only ones I had until I started collecting tools around 1999. (I still have both, by the way).
Since then I've had more ratchets cross my workbench than I can remember. In over 20 years not one have made me think about getting rid of the first two. The fact that they're roundheads never entered my mind until I started joining forums and reading about the roundhead vs. other debates.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 06:13:46 PM by bonneyman »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 07:23:42 PM »
Most of us were introduced to round head ratchets through SK, Wright, Sears (Sears' Best) or Wards. There were many others, such as Bonney, Duro/Indestro, Williams, etc., but for the average guy back in the day, it was Sears, Wards, JC Penney, or the local auto parts or hardware store. In my case the local mom 'n pop auto parts store sold SK as their premium line, while the hardware store sold Wright tools as their house brand.

Offline hofferwood

• It's all good
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 09:27:25 PM »
Round heads------I hate 'em---------- :)

If it aint broke----fix it till it is-----there's nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 09:40:44 PM »
Very impressive Chuck -- a great collection  8)

Offline hofferwood

• It's all good
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2019, 10:11:27 PM »
Thanks Ray.

I got the monkey off my back though, broke my addiction,-------I haven't bought one for about two years now---- :D
If it aint broke----fix it till it is-----there's nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2019, 10:59:53 PM »
Nice assortments of round heads there.

I'm still undecided and need to try a standard 3/8 round head, but I think I'd like the right one just fine.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Rickster

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2019, 10:31:27 AM »
Craftsman RHFT was my first ratchet.   From there it was onto an SK Roto-head.  Today my go-to ratchet is a Snap-on Roto-Head with a black hard handle... also a round head!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2019, 07:05:06 PM »
Round heads------I hate 'em---------- :)

Geez, I'd hate to see something you like!  :-\

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2019, 01:20:54 PM »
I gotta tell ya, if someone hates Roundheads just hand 'em this and they'll at least start to warm up to round heads.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2019, 07:41:45 AM »
I'm a round head user. Don't get me wrong, love my snappy pearheads but the thumb wheel on the craftsman(not sure of coo, maybe Taiwan) and a husky 3/8" drive(USA) I picked up. The husky has the release where you push on the selector to release the socket. And the thumbwheel is real nice for those times when needed.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2019, 07:45:03 AM by TexasT »
Rich

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2019, 12:53:10 PM »
I'm a round head user. Don't get me wrong, love my snappy pearheads but the thumb wheel on the craftsman(not sure of coo, maybe Taiwan) and a husky 3/8" drive(USA) I picked up. The husky has the release where you push on the selector to release the socket. And the thumbwheel is real nice for those times when needed.
I am most used to a lever selector, but I certainly don't mind the selector of a Roundhead.

And of course you won't get a pearhead with a thumb wheel as far as I know.
There may be a teardrop out there with one, but that's generally one way the round head wins.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 05:52:57 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline GNAP

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2019, 05:00:51 PM »
Go to a flea market set up a table, pour out a 100 or so Craftsman RHFTs and see how long they last
jack

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2019, 07:52:37 PM »
Go to a flea market set up a table, pour out a 100 or so Craftsman RHFTs and see how long they last
Sure an RHFT next to a teardrop I'd take the RHFT, but that's a lot because I hear great things about it and haven't tried one yet.

Btw if anyone actually has 100 RHFT's we need to talk ;)
Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2019, 07:55:06 PM »
Only platy has an extra 100 or so RHFT Craftsman ratchets lying around to take to a flea market lol

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2019, 06:47:19 PM »
Only platy has an extra 100 or so RHFT Craftsman ratchets lying around to take to a flea market lol

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
What a good problem to have.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2019, 07:00:51 PM »
I think there are a couple reasons why I always gravitated to round head ratchets.
#1) My father owned S-K sockets, and the 45170 was the one that came in the kit. If it was good enough for dad, then it was good enough for me.
#2) Once I got my 45170 it was my only ratchet for a couple of years. having "cut my teeth' on the style just made it the default against which all others were judged.
#3) I tend to "palm" my ratchets (mostly cup my hand around the head and only use the handle for breaking loose or final tightening). Round heads are the best fit for my hand, and the selector style of the S-Ks don't reverse when I palm them. The Thorsen's are a close second.
#4) I've never had a problem with my almost 40 year old 45170. Ever. Craftsman had a great warranty - and there was a Sears nearby - but with S-K I never had to use the warranty. That sticks in your mind when you're looking at another tool.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 07:02:26 PM by bonneyman »

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2019, 11:42:50 AM »
My dad had mostly Wright ratchets growing up. He had a couple pear heads, a Proto 5250 and a Craftsman RP. I just always used the Wrights. It wasn't until I was about 18 that I used a pear head for the first time.

To this day I grab whatever is attached to the ratchet and change direction with other hand. I do this with all ratchets. Thumb selectors feel awkward to me. However nowadays I'd say i own more pear heads than round heads.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2019, 05:18:17 AM »
I'm starting to think it's just the younger guys that don't like round heads.
I watch different stuff on YouTube and countless times do I hear tool guys ( younger of course ) say something to suggest they don't like round heads or to suggest that the round head is an antiquated design.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline mikef2316

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2019, 11:18:17 AM »
When I was a youngster, back in the '70s, my dad had the pear head Craftsman ratchets, one in each size up to 1/2".  He had more tools and a better tool box than any of the neighbours, their battered boxes contained (to my memory) slightly rusty, unlubricated round head ratchets that seem inferior to me.

I never met a round head ratchet I liked until I used one of my summer job boss' Craftsman RHFT about 10 years later.  He could tell I liked it so much he gave it to me.   ;D

I still have a built in bias against round heads, though.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2019, 12:29:25 PM »
When I was a youngster, back in the '70s, my dad had the pear head Craftsman ratchets, one in each size up to 1/2".  He had more tools and a better tool box than any of the neighbours, their battered boxes contained (to my memory) slightly rusty, unlubricated round head ratchets that seem inferior to me.

I never met a round head ratchet I liked until I used one of my summer job boss' Craftsman RHFT about 10 years later.  He could tell I liked it so much he gave it to me.   ;D

I still have a built in bias against round heads, though.
That's kind of how I was since every round head I had ever experienced was a cheap Taiwan or Japan bottom of the barrel ratchet from a $10 set my dad had.
He's still one of those types that will buy cheap tools if you get a good amount in the set for the price.
Somewhere along the line i decided I should probably try one of quality or at least decent make and see if my mind is changed.
Now that I have I can at least say I don't really care one way or the other too much, roundheads are just fine.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2019, 05:34:54 PM »
Summary:

A good round head = a good ratchet.

A bad round head = a bad ratchet.

Same goes for TD and BH ratchets.
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2019, 07:52:12 PM »
I am not a fan of the round head. I like being able to change directions without taking my other hand off of the work.

But, there is nothing wrong with a different preference. SK's and RHFT's and Wrights are all good rachets.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2019, 09:03:59 PM »
Summary:

A good round head = a good ratchet.

A bad round head = a bad ratchet.

Same goes for TD and BH ratchets.
As I have learned.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2019, 11:28:25 AM »
I cut my teeth on the old craftsman pear head in my parents driveway. The cheap ones that came in the socket sets back in the 90s. I think they were like 36 tooth.  The round heads were "fine tooth" and i found they came in handy in tight spaces. Today ill use either but i kinda like the lever selector.

What i haven't got on board with are the new 72 and 90 tooth ratchets. They feel like cheap crap to me and i think they might break.   Those old 36 tooth ratchets were indestructible!  Ive done some crazy stuff and never broke one. Everytime i see a guy on youtube raving abojt the new stuff i throw up a little in my mouth

But thats just me

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2019, 11:34:04 AM »
I still have a few regular 1960s, 70s, and 80s C-man ratchets in my box. They get used once in a while, but the thrill is gone for the most part. They were good and affordable at the time (when money was tight), but these days even budget-friendly HF imports far superior ratchets than what we had in previous decades. 

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2019, 11:40:43 AM »
Idk man. Ive put 3 foot cheaters on those old ratchets. Beat em with hammers. You name it.
I dont own any harbor freight but i cant imagine them taking that kind of beating.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2019, 11:47:12 AM »
Idk man. Ive put 3 foot cheaters on those old ratchets. Beat em with hammers. You name it.
I dont own any harbor freight but i cant imagine them taking that kind of beating.

The old Cman ratchets are robust -- probably more so than anything HF puts out. That said, they are also clunky and not very smooth. HF and many other companies such as Tekton have Taiwanese import lines that are superior in design -- smooth as silk and quite strong. Will they stand up to a cheater bar like an old EASCO manufactured Craftsman pear shaped ratchet -- probably not. That's why I keep the old C-mans around -- they are used in situations when things need to get nasty.   

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2019, 11:54:29 AM »

The old Cman ratchets are robust -- probably more so than anything HF puts out. That said, they are also clunky and not very smooth. HF and many other companies such as Tekton have Taiwanese import lines that are superior in design -- smooth as silk and quite strong. Will they stand up to a cheater bar like an old EASCO manufactured Craftsman pear shaped ratchet -- probably not. That's why I keep the old C-mans around -- they are used in situations when things need to get nasty.

Since i bought the blackhawk ratchet wrench set in 05 i dont reach for ratchets as often. They are smooth and work well in tight spaces.  I really havent felt the need for a newer ratchet yet.

And when im working on cars its ALWAYS nasty.  :))

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2019, 11:59:55 AM »
I maintain a USA bias in my tools that will probably not go away. I have made only a small number of concessions towards import tools, regardless the brand even now. I cannot say anything bad of the few import tools I have added, but still see imports as only limited use tools. I will concede those that I have added do not seem in any way short on quality.

My antiquated notions are just stuck in my head and not likely to go away sadly.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2019, 12:16:53 PM »
I feel the same.  Seems like just yesterday i realized the lack of usa made tools and started buying all the vintage us stuff i came across. Its a shame really

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2019, 02:03:53 PM »
No love for Thorsen?

My late father was not a mechanic of any sort but we always had a mixed bag of tools around the house, usually of the cheap flea-market type.  It was always a treat to use the tools at my friend's farm shop where his father had a selection of Craftsman which are still in use today 50+ years later.  After joining the AF and moving away I needed some tools of my own and bought this Thorsen set from the base exchange because, having very little money, I could not afford Craftsman.  Still all together and works well although the clasp broke during early use and I used a small lag bolt to hold it shut which still works today.

Later I started working on Volkswagens and Japanese motorcycles so it was time for some metric tools from the Craftsman line.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2019, 04:15:43 PM »
I have an Action 3/8dr flex head which has served me well for years. It is a Thorsen product of course. My go to ratchets are the Kobalt 90T which work well in tight spaces or I want the speed. Sometimes I will grab any ratchet out the drawer just to appreciate other fine tools like my P&C 100 open gear or Armstrong or others.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2019, 06:15:58 PM »
I cut my teeth on the old craftsman pear head in my parents driveway. The cheap ones that came in the socket sets back in the 90s. I think they were like 36 tooth.  The round heads were "fine tooth" and i found they came in handy in tight spaces. Today ill use either but i kinda like the lever selector.

What i haven't got on board with are the new 72 and 90 tooth ratchets. They feel like cheap crap to me and i think they might break.   Those old 36 tooth ratchets were indestructible!  Ive done some crazy stuff and never broke one. Everytime i see a guy on youtube raving abojt the new stuff i throw up a little in my mouth

But thats just me
What you want is a Wright, same larger stronger teeth with the arc swing of those higher tooth counts.
I personally don't do import ratchets either, especially HF, but I'm also not doing any automotive work so I don't carry much weight in this area.
I'm just a guy who likes tools and uses them as much as possible.

I have found that when I stop and think about it I do prefer a lever selector but in use it doesn't matter when I'm just working on my E scooter, my bike, or doing maintenance on the lawn mower.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Jamesyarbrough

« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2019, 06:28:46 PM »

But thats just me
What you want is a Wright, same larger stronger teeth with the arc swing of those higher tooth counts.
I personally don't do import ratchets either, especially HF, but I'm also not doing any automotive work so I don't carry much weight in this area.
I'm just a guy who likes tools and uses them as much as possible.

I have found that when I stop and think about it I do prefer a lever selector but in use it doesn't matter when I'm just working on my E scooter, my bike, or doing maintenance on the lawn mower.

Rigjt on! Gotta get the job done. I haven't had the chance to use a wright but the tools look good and have a loyal following.  They do kinda resemble sk and i have plenty of those....and i just bid on 5 more on ebay. :(