Author Topic: My back hurts; also reminiscing of childhood  (Read 6928 times)

Offline Davethorik

My back hurts; also reminiscing of childhood
« on: May 29, 2020, 11:05:09 PM »
So this is the biggest vise I've ever owned. Just picked it up this evening. Charles Parker Superior 279X. 6-1/4" jaw, opens 9-1/2" and weighs 187 lbs.

Not in the best shape, it was bolted to a stump about the size of oldnslo's outdoors for 20+ years. So there is some pitting and wear, the swivel base is seized. Other than that, it is not bad. For this vise I traded a couple smaller vises, and some cash.

I asked my dad some time back if he was interested in selling his old Mac double bay, which he bought off the truck in the early 80s I believe. It has ball bearing slides and the full width drawer is on the bottom. It is in good shape.

Well my old man knows the guy i bought the Parker off of. He suggested he wouldn't sell the box....but would trade for the Parker. Thinking he did this to circumvent mom yelling at him for spending too much cash since they're retired.  :D

I had also given him a Yost 106 fixed base 6" vise a while back that I picked up for cheap. So, trading this Parker for a Mac double bay box and a 6" Yost.

I am BEYOND excited. I have many childhood memories of this box, helping dad at work, he was a diesel mechanic. Then when he stopped wrenching and became a truck parts salesman, he brought it home and we used it a lot working on cars.

More pics to come.

:cool2: :cool2:

Offline gtermini

• Pictures of the junk collection
Re: My back hurts; also reminiscing of childhood
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2020, 11:15:16 PM »
She's a beaut! Sounds like a mutually beneficial deal with your pops and everybody ends up with a big vise.

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2020, 12:40:06 AM »
Not gonna lie, my 11pm dark garage photos suck. But when its together and in place, it is a truly impressive looking piece of equipment. My dad will do it justice.

I already have a couple 6"ers, not like im hurting. The Yost is kinda cool, it is an older model. It looks a lot like a Reed. It is no slouch at 130 lbs for a fixed base. Ill find a spot for it.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2020, 01:15:42 PM »
that's a nice score. on both parts.

That old Parker held up pretty well for outdoors.

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2020, 03:56:55 PM »
Here is the Yost. Dad came by today and we swapped vises.
This vise was disgusting when I found it. Had cement-like grain dust all over, came out of a big farm down by Mt. Vernon.
It cleaned up nice though. Has a bit of flash rust.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2020, 04:28:04 PM »
Oh my, that is sweet

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2020, 05:37:30 PM »
 And here is the box.
MB1500
51" ish wide, 24" deep, 13 drawer
Edit: he said he bought new in 89 or 90, got a free 5 day vacation to myrtle beach as a promo with it. I remember going as a kid! He took good care of it.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 06:17:35 PM by Davethorik »

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2020, 12:19:34 AM »
That's a great box in outstanding condition.  Also, great vise!   :08:
boop/bop/beep

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2020, 11:59:32 PM »
Thanks everyone for the kind words. :bravo_2:

The box looks good in that photo but it's cluttered. It is about a 5 footer, it does have some dings and paint chips, but nothing major. Needs a bath. The drawer sides are silky smooth, with the exception of 1 that feels stiff. Casters work, has keys. And some original paperwork, possibly a receipt for the box new.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2020, 12:28:04 AM »
Very cool.
Reminds me of my Klein / Sandvik hacksaw.
 I bought a really nice and probably better Starrett high tension hacksaw at the swap meet but traded it to my grandmother for this Klein , it was the first hacksaw I ever used and I logged many hours behind it with my various childhood / teenage projects.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2020, 03:05:36 AM »
Thanks hns.
Today i found out this deal included the stuff in the box he didnt want. Mostly onesies and partial sets, some specialty tools. I went over there tonight for dinner and came home with 2 buckets and a large wood box full. There is more still in the box.

I'll get a shot of all the stuff when i get it organized. Until then, here is a teaser. What could be in this green hammertone box?
Let's open it and see.

Looks to be a pre-Ideal set of 3/8 drive 6 pt deep metric impact sockets, 8-19mm. New unused.

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2020, 12:52:13 AM »
Got the box to it's new home. Pardon my dungeon of a garage.
Here was the full width bottom drawer as received. I have a bunch of new air tools now lol. IR 3/4 impact, blue point 1/2  impact, no name air hammer.

Also dad got this little Mac lockbox and riveted it to a drawer. It has it's own key. I think that is cool.

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2020, 01:17:35 AM »
I got the extra tools roughly categorized.
Pic 1 is specialty/misc. ARO high speed die grinder, Napa USA (jupiter pneumatic) composite die grinder, butterfly 3/8 impact, 3/8 air ratchet.

Pic 2 is wrenches. Mostly sae Craftsman USA combos top row, and multiples of most sizes. 3 largest are challenger by proto. Bottom row is DBE/DOE, metric combos, and hex keys. Brands are a mix. Blackhawk, Wizard, Craftsman, Proto LA, Fleet, Blue Point, Vlchek, New Britain, and Wright.

Slugging wrench is a 1" Wright. Close by is a modern Snap-on full polish 1-1/16" angle wrench. Keys are Bondhus and Vaco.

Pic 3 is drive tools/sockets.
Top row is 2 Mac dial torque wrenches, 3/8 and 1/2 drive. Both have plastic cases. Partial set of SK made in France screwdrivers, a Stanley and a couple Mac red hard handle drivers.

Middle row is a Mac Sabina, O. Z28F 3/4 breaker bar and a Mac Z4R round head 3/4 rat (Kilness NB). Napa 3/4 to 1" chrome adaptor, small lead hammer.

Random sockets, 90% of chrome are Craftsman USA. SK 3/8 metric impacts from above. Napa USA deep 1/2 metric impacts. Craftsman and Mac extensions, impact extensions, specialty sockets, and swivel. Craftsman 3/8 QR rat, SK Wayne 45170. Craftsman 1/4 sliding T.

I need another tool box already.  :D

Offline slip knot

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2020, 09:54:39 AM »
Wow, some nice tools there. quite the treasure trove.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2020, 10:15:21 AM »
Your dad is happy and you are happy and you got some mighty fine tools. You can't beat that. :great: