Author Topic: Odd Blue Point Body Hammer has domed face.  (Read 171 times)

Offline snapmom

Odd Blue Point Body Hammer has domed face.
« on: February 27, 2024, 09:00:11 AM »
A odd Blue Point body hammer with a domed face.  Not in the cats as far as I know.  the round side is domed, and the square side is flat.  This looks like it started life as a model 598,  and either the factory or a very knowledgeable person changed it.  But looks factory to me.  would probably date early 40s

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
Re: Odd Blue Point Body Hammer has domed face.
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2024, 09:15:57 AM »
body hammers are pretty cool. i don't own one and would not have the first clue how to bang out a fender and more than likely ruin it.

maybe i should get some! :))
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2024, 09:25:56 AM »
It's a homebrew hammer mod. You can see the leftover grinding marks around the edges of the dome.

Like many old timers in the trade, bodymen often took older or less expensive hammers and made them into special tools This one was clearly welded up and shaped to form the crown. They did a good job at that. High crowned body hammers were often used in fine planishing work on compound curved panels, especially on aluminum. It took a fine touch and literally ten of thousands of very light taps to planish a complex compound body panel.

If it's 1940's era it makes sense that it was probably used on aluminum. Uncle Sam was producing a lot of planes at that time and this hammer was probably made for a specific task.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 09:30:30 AM by goodfellow »

Offline muddy

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2024, 07:23:24 PM »
Great tool and great knowledge thanks guys!

Sent from my twisted mind of the mudman