Author Topic: Was there ever a parts washer build on the old site?  (Read 3078 times)

Offline daves_not_here

Was there ever a parts washer build on the old site?
« on: April 03, 2019, 06:01:17 PM »
I can't recall ...

Anyway, I would like to cobble up a table/benchtop sized one (cheap) to clean smallish parts - smaller motorcycle shortblocks and other stuff.

Nothing elaborate, but something a bit better than a brush, tub and a gallon of cleaner. On that note - is kerosene good for cleaning solution?

I know - youtube - just wondered if any of you guys ever built one? 

Did I mention cheap?  :))

***EDIT - if there is a more appropriate forum for this, please move it - thanks!***
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 06:12:20 PM by daves_not_here »
David

Offline slip knot

Re: Was there ever a parts washer build on the old site?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2019, 09:31:39 PM »
I modded a HF 20 gallon washer. The washer originally required 15-20 gallons of solvent to work correctly. I ran the drain line into a bucket and re-used the original pump in the bucket about 3in from the bottom. It now uses about 3 gallons of solvent. The original pump ran @5 yrs before it locked up. I replaced it with a real solvent pump. paid more for the pump than anything else.

As for the solvent, I buy a partwasher solvent from TSC. it basically varsol. it works better than kerosene or diesel in that it dries off with no oily residue. 

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2019, 11:04:34 PM »
You can’t beat the price of the HF 20 gallon washer. With a 20% off coupon you’re way better off than trying to build something from scratch. I’ve built some over the years, and in all cases the parts and materials cost as much (or more) than what HF delivers.

I’m on my second HF washed and it gets used just about every week. That little pump just keeps on working

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline daves_not_here

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2019, 06:21:46 PM »
Thanks, guys - I appreciate the help.

I don't have room for the bigger stand-alones since I haven't built my garage yet, so for the time being a smaller one will have to do.
David

Offline slip knot

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2019, 08:52:46 PM »
I started out with a benchtop unit and it was just too small. I couldn't get both hands in it and still see what I was doing. Stepping up to the larger one was great. I mounted mine on casters and roll it out onto the carport to use it. I can get messy out there and just hose the floor off when done. Close the lid and roll the washer back in the shop.

Offline daves_not_here

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2019, 05:55:54 AM »
The bigger one will have to wait for my garage. I just don't have the room to accommodate it.

Thanks again. :)
David