Author Topic: Mini-torch find!  (Read 2840 times)

Offline bonneyman

Mini-torch find!
« on: April 18, 2019, 03:49:50 PM »
Always wanted one of these little torches. As dad said, "If you keep your eyes peeled and keep scrounging you'll eventually find what you want for a price you're willing to pay!"
Well, today was my palm-sized torch day! I never heard of this brand, looks older than most I've seen. And I don't remember ever seeing a butane cartridge in the shape of a CO2 cart. Anyone have a clue?

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: Mini-torch find!
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 04:32:37 PM »
Very cool, does it work ?
Always lookin' to learn

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 04:41:35 PM »
I don't know. Cart is empty, I figured I'd ask you guys and see if these carts are still made. Plus with the rust on the torch outlet I figured it would be prudent to clean it out. Maybe a paper clip and toothbrush?

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 05:00:21 PM »
Is the cartridge refillable, like a lighter? That would make sense. But anyway, I would use a brass brush and knock as much rust off as I could first.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 06:41:33 PM »
Looks like it takes discontinued cylinders. Guess it is a bust!

http://www.flyhobbies.com/microflamebutane.htm

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 08:20:01 PM »
Looks like it takes discontinued cylinders. Guess it is a bust!

http://www.flyhobbies.com/microflamebutane.htm
Well that's a shame.
I wonder if you could take the existing cylinder and add the one way valve from a cheap butane lighter to the bottom or side so you could refill it from a can ?
Always lookin' to learn

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 08:29:08 PM »
It's an old design -- there's one on ebay right now for about $7.00, but trying to locate cartridges is probably hard. Best bet would be to try Alibaba -- they still produce outdated American designed torch accessories in China. Not sure about quality, but it's worth a shot.

Look at this link for some British Redneck engineering to fill the old cartridges via an Airsoft gun charging valve -- about three posts down.

http://modeleng.proboards.com/thread/4994/gas-cylinders-microflame-miniature-torch?page=2

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 09:44:32 PM »
Hey Bman, I happen to have a fill valve from a Green gas / propane airsoft gun if you want it to give this refillable cartridge a go just let me know.
Always lookin' to learn