Author Topic: Watcha Know about Generators?  (Read 2781 times)

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
Watcha Know about Generators?
« on: April 18, 2019, 05:07:47 PM »
Looking for some schooling on portable gas powered generators.  I need...

- Something easy to lift in and out of my trailer
- Able to provide stable and safe power in each of two configurations (not simultaneously)
- (Configuration 1) Two appliances rated for up to 13.5 amp draw each (heat presses, probably drop in draw when just maintaining temperature)
- (Configuration 2) Smaller electronics including a laptop, plotter/cutter, inkjet printer and one 13.5 amp appliance
- Low noise levels - will be used in public markets and car shows
- Small form factor

Reliable, affordable, etc.  I've been looking at the Honda EU2000i as a contender but I'm still early in my search and won't be in a position to buy for several months unless I make some large sales in the meantime.

Offline slip knot

Re: Watcha Know about Generators?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2019, 07:22:56 PM »
I think your on the right track with the Honda. The cheaper the generator,  the dirtier the power, the harder it is on the computers.

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2019, 09:30:46 PM »
- (Configuration 1) Two appliances rated for up to 13.5 amp draw each (heat presses, probably drop in draw when just maintaining temperature)

More likely the "draw" will stay the same but just cycle on and off once they reach temperature. So you'll need 27A unless you're going to interlock them to where only one can run the heating elements at a time. You'll need two 2,000W generators  without an interlock. You could either combine them with a parallel kit or run each one by itself.

- (Configuration 2) Smaller electronics including a laptop, plotter/cutter, inkjet printer and one 13.5 amp appliance.

Could probably do this with one 2,000W unit.

I think your on the right track with the Honda. The cheaper the generator,  the dirtier the power, the harder it is on the computers.

Does this apply to inverter generators? And does it really matter with a laptop? Reliabilty would likely be better with a Honda but they command a hefty premium.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 09:36:30 PM by Matt_T »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 09:52:42 PM »
Most inverters are pretty clean but cheaper ones can be problematic. the honda is pretty rock solid.