Author Topic: New socket sets exclude some sizes.  (Read 7968 times)

Offline bonneyman

Re: New socket sets exclude some sizes.
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2019, 09:45:43 AM »
m_, maybe you could try and find one of those dual-use brands of sockets?
I have an almost complete set of the Metrinch sockets. They're not Snap-On quality but for carrying out into the yard to work on the lawn mower or hauling up on the roof to pull a cooler motor they're fine.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2019, 10:08:13 AM »
At this time I have no need for SAE sockets. But if I did, my father just gave me a bunch of old sockets, all Chinese, so that need is filled should it arise. But buying or even having a full SAE set does not resolve the issue of being able to find, at any given time, a metric set without missing sizes. I’d hazard to guess no one has ever said “I didn’t buy that socket set because it included the 15mm.” Anytime I’ve had need to buy a set of tool,  I’ve always opted for the complete set.

As for metric sockets fitting SAE hardware, I’ve seen sockets that were dual marked. If a company makes two identical sockets and marks one 19mm and the other 3/4”, how is either not the right tool for the other? There’s a .002 difference between the two actual sizes.

But this isn’t about what I choose to buy. It’s about what is available to buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hofferwood

• It's all good
If it aint broke----fix it till it is-----there's nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.

Offline hofferwood

• It's all good
If it aint broke----fix it till it is-----there's nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2019, 05:42:15 PM »
At this time I have no need for SAE sockets. But if I did, my father just gave me a bunch of old sockets, all Chinese, so that need is filled should it arise. But buying or even having a full SAE set does not resolve the issue of being able to find, at any given time, a metric set without missing sizes. I’d hazard to guess no one has ever said “I didn’t buy that socket set because it included the 15mm.” Anytime I’ve had need to buy a set of tool,  I’ve always opted for the complete set.

As for metric sockets fitting SAE hardware, I’ve seen sockets that were dual marked. If a company makes two identical sockets and marks one 19mm and the other 3/4”, how is either not the right tool for the other? There’s a .002 difference between the two actual sizes.

But this isn’t about what I choose to buy. It’s about what is available to buy.

i am really at a loss. in some case .02 is a lot. the tekton set that hofferwood linked to on the first page has all of the metrics to 19 and sae sizes in standard and deep for 45 bucks.  the only time my decision is based on  what is available is when i have to have it right now. if you had needed it right now you wouldn't be asking here. you would already have it..

i think  i am "dun" like hofferwood said.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2019, 05:56:52 PM »
That was .002 not .02. A difference of .02 would be sufficient to have separate sockets. There’s only a .0113 difference between 14mm and 9/16 which is enough to have both sizes. There’s only a .005 difference between 16mm and 5/8 which makes them interchangeable. But none of that is relevant to my original question. Why are some sizes left out of socket sets offered? There was once justification for some sizes being left out but now every metric size from 8-18mm is in common use with 11mm being the possible exception from my experience. If you feel that SAE are not interchangeable with metric, then why are 12, 15, and 18mm commonly left out of socket sets?

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2019, 06:24:33 PM »
then why are 12, 15, and 18mm commonly left out of socket sets?

Probably depends on what market, AKA country,  the set is originally packaged for. A lot of places are going to be mainly dealing with DIN and/or JIS. Or at least were historically. I hear the introduction of ISO is screwing that up.

North America is probably the only market where mechanics are having to deal with all the metric standards plus the geniuses in deetroit filling in the gaps.

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2019, 06:41:04 PM »
If you’re suggesting the socket sets I’m seeing with gaps in the sizes are sets packaged for distribution to other countries as well as the US, I would say that’s plausible. But I must wonder what countries Harbor Freight is distributing their Pittsburgh line of tools to other than the US market.