Author Topic: Portable table saw issues.  (Read 2553 times)

Offline m_fumich

Portable table saw issues.
« on: July 15, 2020, 10:20:33 PM »
My buddy gave me a Kobalt portable table saw. The last table saw I used was in a shop and required a fork lift to move. The rip fence on that thing was really solid. This portable saw has a rip fence that can best be described as “loosie goosie.” There’s so much slop in it, once I lock it down, in all likelihood, it won’t be parallel with the blade. Do they make a fence for these things with two attachment points on each slide to insure the fence is always parallel to the blade?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline oldnslo

Re: Portable table saw issues.
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2020, 10:50:00 PM »

Offline Kenneth07ex

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 06:46:54 PM »
My buddy gave me a Kobalt portable table saw. The last table saw I used was in a shop and required a fork lift to move. The rip fence on that thing was really solid. This portable saw has a rip fence that can best be described as “loosie goosie.” There’s so much slop in it, once I lock it down, in all likelihood, it won’t be parallel with the blade. Do they make a fence for these things with two attachment points on each slide to insure the fence is always parallel to the blade?

Unfortunately you have to pay for quality. I had almost exactly the same scenario, when my dad gave me a saw, a few years back. I found that a quality fence with the rails, can cost more than a cheap saw is worth. When I looked, it was around three hundred, to get the type of quality rip fence like what I was used to. That's just the rip fence. For my cheap saw :c029:. I don't use a table saw enough to pay that kind of money. But then, my saw locks down tight. It just needs lots of help getting it square.

A decent used commercial saw goes for a grand around here. That's asking price, and is probably somewhat negotiable. A much better option, if you plan on using it much. But if it's just the fence you want, they definitely sell upgrades. The ones I looked at were on a woodworking site. There's different levels of quality, but none were cheap. Sorry I can't provide a link, it's been many years since then.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 06:50:36 PM by Kenneth07ex »

Offline m_fumich

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 06:55:36 PM »

A decent used commercial saw goes for a grand around here. That's asking price, and is probably somewhat negotiable. A much better option, if you plan on using it much.

I’d rather have a nice heavy one like we used in wood shop 35 years ago. The only reason I’m keeping this one is because my friend gave it to me. I’ll probably just use it to do cross cuts.

Offline Kenneth07ex

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 07:10:35 PM »
That would save lots of aggravation. Those portable saws sometimes move around while cutting. There's just not enough weight to hold them solid. All that on top of the cheap fence issue. Around here, used commercial saws pop up on craigslist fairly often. I suspect that there's lots of companies who're "rightsizing" these days. Probably a buyer's market right now.

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 11:55:37 AM »
The lightweight portable table saws for the most part were designed for the construction industry.  As such they were not designed for fine work.  I have one I used when I built my barn and feed shed and it did a good job.  As to the fence, be sure the adjusting bolt/screw is as tight as you can make it and use a framing square to true  up the fence. You can make fine adjustments after clamping the fence by using a rubber mallet on the fence to fine tune it.  Good luck!

Offline muddy

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 07:55:23 PM »
The lightweight portable table saws for the most part were designed for the construction industry.  As such they were not designed for fine work.  I have one I used when I built my barn and feed shed and it did a good job.  As to the fence, be sure the adjusting bolt/screw is as tight as you can make it and use a framing square to true  up the fence. You can make fine adjustments after clamping the fence by using a rubber mallet on the fence to fine tune it.  Good luck!
Good advice here

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk