Author Topic: Smoke tester modification  (Read 4200 times)

Offline Kenneth07ex

Smoke tester modification
« on: July 20, 2020, 06:51:15 PM »
Anybody ever put a smoke guage on a paint can type smoke tester? It comes with a valve to adjust the amount of smoke, along with a pressure guage, and a pressure regulator. But it needs a flow guage. Unfortunately smoke testers that have everything you need, are either extremely expensive, or they're made to be delicate.

It doesn't look like there's much to the guage. But I'm not sure how it does what it does. So I don't know what kind of flow guage I would use. Haven't seen any type of flow guage meant for measuring smoke flow. But apparently, having a flow guage let's you see more information about the leak, than smoke alone.

The tester I'm looking at is the autoline pro. Not much to it, and it seems to have good reviews, and a good warranty. And it does put out smoke, so it'll still be useful. But the nearest one I can find with the flow meter feature costs a hundred bucks more. It has a cheap built in compressor, and poor reviews. The rest go up in price from there.

Does anyone have any personal experience with these, or any ideas on a flow meter? I've used smoke exactly once before, and it really seems to be a useful tool to have. Easy to use, and kinda fun too. So why pass up the opportunity to own more tools? Especially since everything I own is old, and typically leaky.

Offline Matt_T

Re: Smoke tester modification
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 09:43:09 AM »
It doesn't look like there's much to the guage. But I'm not sure how it does what it does. So I don't know what kind of flow guage I would use. Haven't seen any type of flow guage meant for measuring smoke flow. But apparently, having a flow guage let's you see more information about the leak, than smoke alone.

Something rated for air, gas or oxygen should work. OTC rate the leak tamer at 12 liters per minute so something around that should work. Might have to buy one and try it then buy another to get the sizing just right for your machine.

Only other thing is it must be mounted vertically to read correctly.

Whether it's worth adding a flowmeter depends on what you're using the smoke machine for. You'd probably never use it hunting down vacuum leaks but they're handy for evap work.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 10:13:38 AM »
Well -- you could try a standard CO2/Argon meter that is used with a MIG/TIG welder. Flow is adjustable and can be pre-set to specific cubic feet/min. Shouldn't be hard to convert CF/min into liters/min.

You'd have to gut the pressure regulator side of the meter, or remove the meter all-together from the regulator body (depending on the design)

« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 10:17:43 AM by goodfellow »

Offline Kenneth07ex

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 01:51:14 PM »

Something rated for air, gas or oxygen should work. OTC rate the leak tamer at 12 liters per minute so something around that should work. Might have to buy one and try it then buy another to get the sizing just right for your machine.

Only other thing is it must be mounted vertically to read correctly.

Whether it's worth adding a flowmeter depends on what you're using the smoke machine for. You'd probably never use it hunting down vacuum leaks but they're handy for evap work.

I reckon I'll have any vacuum line problems sorted out pretty quick, once I start using the tester. I'm really just trying to find ways to make it more useful for other things. Since smoke testers are pretty versatile, I'd like to get the most out of it.

Offline Kenneth07ex

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 02:42:05 PM »
Well -- you could try a standard CO2/Argon meter that is used with a MIG/TIG welder. Flow is adjustable and can be pre-set to specific cubic feet/min. Shouldn't be hard to convert CF/min into liters/min.

You'd have to gut the pressure regulator side of the meter, or remove the meter all-together from the regulator body (depending on the design)

Sounds like it might work. But I'm trying to do this on the cheap. If I find out that it's an absolute necessity, there's always the possibility of going with a replacement meter. Just find one that comes with the meter, then buy a replacement as if it were going on that. It would be the right size already, and purpose built for the task.

After checking into the replacement meter though. It becomes apparent that they're not cheap either. I'm trying to keep it under 40 bucks or so. Maybe something will turn up. But I do appreciate the input fellas!

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2020, 03:23:14 PM »

Sounds like it might work. But I'm trying to do this on the cheap. If I find out that it's an absolute necessity, there's always the possibility of going with a replacement meter. Just find one that comes with the meter, then buy a replacement as if it were going on that. It would be the right size already, and purpose built for the task.

After checking into the replacement meter though. It becomes apparent that they're not cheap either. I'm trying to keep it under 40 bucks or so. Maybe something will turn up. But I do appreciate the input fellas!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Argon-CO2-Mig-Tig-Flow-Meter-LPM-Welding-Weld-Regulator-Gauge-Gas-Welder-CGA-580/114224754980?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item1a98537124:g:Zd4AAOSwoMFd8wfA&amdata=enc%3AAQAFAAACcBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%252Fn%252BzU5L90Z278x5ickkAgU0umhwUTmgTFbE5cu7zWctPSwUvtC5O6IlY8iwUAX1RoMPviRVrqptWauq9wpgbNDAL%252B7KNmYj74pvEG1c95U1X%252F0SF7NOEwtsxl2vY6b1DewuBYUpHagFktaBC7xxwKfuraOJ2MtmqANqNiQVPQOKVAHA8V1rZ5qD5X91nQsWPkV9Y8CswTk38HpuSm4bfPLOH%252FHyn8KgVgPRSXm%252BASa%252FjR26rM2%252FR6zpjvl1c44enuMBKQQHm1sD%252BdDNmxsatYbDc8qWe4Ih71tvC%252BMekIigTFynYzLNzhWUvKxMgDctpHzPEY6bcrbvVL0pxH3jCkPBuxlt34VutqsobyNbJsKT33%252BF9MGQ5L5R8wExr3sRI3CRzzy8dpqN%252FdwCU%252B%252FJIMVfMlWSYgAyaJ7sVTPt5NefBiKWZocdGhMaLBqBSOYP2DeKZ1CTbvL%252FQbgyy838jwmEHOl37FDYFKESPmI%252FllL5ox9ibvDU2asFZcOj%252FSbLXf9At8s2EhybU1BA6R9ifEtkaVBsLb0W4od2%252FTDDZODXgeZun%252FrQJqaaCFqX5hbBrlc7HWZt9UmZAlt27KvUYmn4uZ9ACcplnErw3i%252FmfCZRf%252FQoZpZi%252BSRUunLHKRPnCLg25AFO1pKqLva5BobmFr231exOXhWC4ocgiTOuRlcb0eqwu3Tubr141QK6yUhszr555UM0aoEVkdtTQ%252F%252FFxWvaRkiaw1jaPF41H6YaoQAmWX0eCmT5bBHl08M0XO9qs2souZewC2As2LsPkheN7j5d3uhSdZZIAcHJ6lm7zg%253D%253D%7Ccksum%3A114224754980f804d7e6a97a43d19cebe54ca1dcd05f%7Campid%3APL_CLK%7Cclp%3A2334524

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2020, 03:32:51 PM »
Good flowmeters ain't cheap at retail. Add on parts mark-up and I'm sure they were spendy.

Took a look at the shielding gas flowmeters Ray mentioned and they look to have too high a flow rate. There are several 15 LPM medical air and oxygen flowmeters on ebay for reasonable money. They're back inlet 1/8" NPT so should be fairly easy to mount to that smoke machine you're looking at. You could do that for $40 or maybe a little more depending on what fittings you have to buy. Might even be able to get one for free if you know folks in the medical field or someone who's on oxygen.

Offline Kenneth07ex

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2020, 05:00:10 PM »

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Argon-CO2-Mig-Tig-Flow-Meter-LPM-Welding-Weld-Regulator-Gauge-Gas-Welder-CGA-580/114224754980?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item1a98537124:g:Zd4AAOSwoMFd8wfA&amdata=enc%3AAQAFAAACcBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%252Fn%252BzU5L90Z278x5ickkAgU0umhwUTmgTFbE5cu7zWctPSwUvtC5O6IlY8iwUAX1RoMPviRVrqptWauq9wpgbNDAL%252B7KNmYj74pvEG1c95U1X%252F0SF7NOEwtsxl2vY6b1DewuBYUpHagFktaBC7xxwKfuraOJ2MtmqANqNiQVPQOKVAHA8V1rZ5qD5X91nQsWPkV9Y8CswTk38HpuSm4bfPLOH%252FHyn8KgVgPRSXm%252BASa%252FjR26rM2%252FR6zpjvl1c44enuMBKQQHm1sD%252BdDNmxsatYbDc8qWe4Ih71tvC%252BMekIigTFynYzLNzhWUvKxMgDctpHzPEY6bcrbvVL0pxH3jCkPBuxlt34VutqsobyNbJsKT33%252BF9MGQ5L5R8wExr3sRI3CRzzy8dpqN%252FdwCU%252B%252FJIMVfMlWSYgAyaJ7sVTPt5NefBiKWZocdGhMaLBqBSOYP2DeKZ1CTbvL%252FQbgyy838jwmEHOl37FDYFKESPmI%252FllL5ox9ibvDU2asFZcOj%252FSbLXf9At8s2EhybU1BA6R9ifEtkaVBsLb0W4od2%252FTDDZODXgeZun%252FrQJqaaCFqX5hbBrlc7HWZt9UmZAlt27KvUYmn4uZ9ACcplnErw3i%252FmfCZRf%252FQoZpZi%252BSRUunLHKRPnCLg25AFO1pKqLva5BobmFr231exOXhWC4ocgiTOuRlcb0eqwu3Tubr141QK6yUhszr555UM0aoEVkdtTQ%252F%252FFxWvaRkiaw1jaPF41H6YaoQAmWX0eCmT5bBHl08M0XO9qs2souZewC2As2LsPkheN7j5d3uhSdZZIAcHJ6lm7zg%253D%253D%7Ccksum%3A114224754980f804d7e6a97a43d19cebe54ca1dcd05f%7Campid%3APL_CLK%7Cclp%3A2334524

That is cheap. Dunno why, but when you mentioned a welding reference, I must've had a senior moment. I pictured a friend's set up. He's got a Miller rig fit for a small business. I only saw big money gauges. I didn't think about cheap Chicom parts. This opens up possibilities. Thanks for the link.

Offline Kenneth07ex

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2020, 05:22:44 PM »
Good flowmeters ain't cheap at retail. Add on parts mark-up and I'm sure they were spendy.

Took a look at the shielding gas flowmeters Ray mentioned and they look to have too high a flow rate. There are several 15 LPM medical air and oxygen flowmeters on ebay for reasonable money. They're back inlet 1/8" NPT so should be fairly easy to mount to that smoke machine you're looking at. You could do that for $40 or maybe a little more depending on what fittings you have to buy. Might even be able to get one for free if you know folks in the medical field or someone who's on oxygen.

Now that's thinking out of the box. I really like that. I'm thinking that the meter really doesn't have to be high quality. Since it really doesn't do much, and what it does, is at extremely low pressure. Accuracy isn't really important here, as long as it's consistent. It could be something from a child's toy probably. If it didn't hold up, there's always the chance to do the revised 2.0 version.

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2020, 06:55:04 PM »
Are you looking for an EVAP leak?

Having used a smoke machine at a Chevy shop I found more leaking vent valves, lines and canisters just using the "smoke".
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline Kenneth07ex

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2020, 07:20:12 PM »
Are you looking for an EVAP leak?

Having used a smoke machine at a Chevy shop I found more leaking vent valves, lines and canisters just using the "smoke".

Looking at taking a smoke only type tester, and making it more useful. The tester already has everything but the meter. Which is basically just a ball in a tube, so why not? I'm sure that evap testing will come up at some point in the life of this tester.

If it's easily done, then I think that it's a good addition. The nearest thing that was pre built was significantly more expensive. Had a built in compressor, and poor warranty. So it's true that the meter isn't absolutely necessary. But would be handy for small leaks.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2020, 09:43:59 PM »
maybe you just need a gas rotometer. they can be had for cheap

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gas+rotometer&ref=nb_sb_noss

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2020, 09:48:14 PM »

Perfect -- then use a cheap air regulator to control air pressure into the machine at 2-3psi --

Offline Kenneth07ex

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2020, 07:11:06 AM »

I think we have a winner!
That's the stuff I was looking for. Don't know why, but the search that I used, should've turned those up. I got nothing that was even close. Didn't know what it was called, although I tried searching for gas flow meter. Mostly got a bunch of scientific charts for industrial applications. But I knew that the guys here would give it the push it needed. Thanks to everyone who weighed in on this!

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2020, 04:02:00 PM »

Yup, same basic type as was on the shop smoke machine, look at the ball.
Nick
Yorktown, VA