Author Topic: Matco Hyper-Step Drill bits  (Read 6580 times)

Offline muddy

Matco Hyper-Step Drill bits
« on: August 19, 2020, 07:29:02 PM »
Recently Matco has come out with a unique design for drill bits. Alit of mechanics are raving about them. (Hear this personally not just from my dealer).

Has anyone have experience with this type of bit? I'm really tempted...

https://www.matcotools.com/catalog/product/DB29HS/29-piece-hyper-step-drill-bit-set/

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Offline jabberwoki

Re: Matco Hyper-Step Drill bits
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 08:36:08 PM »
Crikey they`re proud of them. :c029:
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 10:02:17 PM »
Those aren't cheap but would be interesting to try. Lifetime warranty starts with 17/64 which makes sense.

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 07:40:16 AM »
As always, MATCOs website catalog is VERY slow to load in a browser. Seems like it's been that way for over 10 years and they still can't get a good catalog webservice.

Here's a vid instead --

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2020, 08:30:14 AM »
Inteeresting.  Be curious as to who makes them for Matco

I can see them be great for a flat rate guy but a little pricey for an hourly mechanic

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2020, 08:43:17 AM »
Thanks for the video GF. I have to wonder if the lifetime warranty is valid if you burn up the bits by using no lubricant or oil? As long as he took to drill that control arm with no oil most bits would be toast.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2020, 10:40:22 AM »
DN, I had similar thoughts

Offline muddy

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2020, 08:06:57 PM »
Thanks for the video GF. I have to wonder if the lifetime warranty is valid if you burn up the bits by using no lubricant or oil? As long as he took to drill that control arm with no oil most bits would be toast.
A vise and a hammer take care of dull bits as far as warranty goes..... If you catch my drift lol

Offline muddy

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2020, 08:29:17 PM »
Here's a good video as well.

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2020, 07:12:18 AM »
As long as he took to drill that control arm with no oil most bits would be toast.

Oil makes no difference if you don't apply feed pressure ::)

The grind is interesting. Probably good for enlarging existing holes. And maybe sheetmetal.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2020, 04:06:33 PM »
I'd ask the wife for an advance on my lunch money but I'm afraid I'd get the frying pan instead.  :lol_hitting:
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 07:43:06 PM by bonneyman »

Offline walrus

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2020, 05:41:53 PM »
And maybe sheetmetal.
Sheetmetal is what they are  for according to them They look cheesy to me but would like to try them. But not for 400 bucks. Now if you had a Matco truck coming every week I can break some bits no problem  :93:

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2020, 06:31:28 PM »
And maybe sheetmetal.
Sheetmetal is what they are  for according to them They look cheesy to me but would like to try them. But not for 400 bucks. Now if you had a Matco truck coming every week I can break some bits no problem  :93:

Sheetmetal is just one of the things they're claiming these things are good for. Here's one of their videos promoting these things to burglars. A $1 cut off wheel in my cordless grinder would've dealt with that lock faster :lol_hitting:

Offline walrus

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2020, 02:20:39 PM »
And maybe sheetmetal.

Sheetmetal is just one of the things they're claiming these things are good for. Here's one of their videos promoting these things to burglars. A $1 cut off wheel in my cordless grinder would've dealt with that lock faster :lol_hitting:

I got called to a customers store one evening. Its  a  24 hr Cstore. They lost power and couldn't do sales so they locked the doors, too bad no one had the key when they all decided to go out and have a smoke, oops  :D  I get a service call to go break in, cordless drill, Cobalt bit, right thru the key hole, in the door in about 5 minutes including the time to get out drill and bit. Easy way to make a few hundred bucks

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2020, 05:45:31 PM »
noooooooo