Author Topic: Young folks, just wow  (Read 4329 times)

Online Uncle Buck

• Administrator
Young folks, just wow
« on: October 25, 2022, 07:33:15 PM »
So until the "sweaty" top box is refinished I told my son to take a 60's vintage 3 drawer Craftman top box to work and use it temporarily.  It is a small box, but in great shape for its age, complete with keys. I had to bring it home about six months back since it was only $25.

Two days later my son walks in saying a co-worker 20-22 wants to buy the old box. I ask how much, son says I think I can get $150-200 for it.

I told him heck ya, if you actually think you can sell it for that kind of money do it. I will just give you another old box to use until we finish yours!

What the heck do some of these young tater heads use for brains!    :-[
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 07:39:39 PM by Uncle Buck »
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Young folks, just wow
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2022, 07:44:00 PM »
"Vintage" tools, tool boxes, and diagnostic equipment are all the rage these days among the younger generation. I follow the SUN Diagnostic Equipment market and prices for rusty clapped out non-functioning equipment are very good. On the other hand, a working distributor tester or analyzer in decent shape can fetch thousands of dollars. -- Who knew?

Those old hammer gray friction drawer Craftsman boxes from the 1960s and 70s are selling like crazy, and at ridiculous prices. Same goes for vintage Craftsman hand tools.

Online Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2022, 08:38:56 PM »
I told my son if we do the job right on the remline set more than a few of his co-workers will probably be surprised just how fine old friction slide boxes from the day can look no longer in their workin duds and sporting a fresh coat of paint.

While nothing a decades old service tech would have interest in, a well restored vintage set would tend to draw the eye due to the stark contrast of all the uber expensive truck brand boxes that have become the norm over the last few decades to the looks of a box and roller that looks new and like it just rolled out of the 60's or 70's.

Doing sexy on the cheap so to speak.  :cool2:

Offline highland512

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2022, 09:44:11 AM »
A couple pawn shops around me are marketing RP v series craftsman wrench sets and ratchets along side the snap on and mac, meanwhile the wright and proto and even sk are in the "make me a deal" pile. I walked out with 5 proto line wrench's last week for $5.  :lol_hitting:

Im interested to see what the coming "assembled in usa" craftsman does to the prices of the old stuff. My guess is nothing

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2022, 10:38:35 AM »
Just remember that these people missed out on the golden era of Craftsman tools.
I'm not one of the crazy ones, though I do pay Ebay prices all the time ( within reason, I'm no moron ) for old tools because theres just not a lot of options around me or time to go look.
There are plenty of 1/4 ratchets I've paid $15-$25 shipped for that many of you guys can probably find in the wild for under $10.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2022, 10:41:49 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline wantedabiggergarage

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2022, 12:11:48 PM »
Never ever bought Craftsmen raised panel wrenches that weren't included in a set (have some six point).  I always bought the pro or industrial series.

When I turned 16, Montgomery Wards was big and I bought tools there, however it was after the Powerkraft line (first wrenches were from India and comparable to others Craftsmen raised panels.
Good tools would be nice, but 16 year old budget with only the trunk to store things.

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2022, 12:31:35 PM »
UB, tell the boy to sell it while he can.  Plenty of old boxes to be had if you look a bit

Online Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2022, 01:23:20 PM »
Never ever bought Craftsmen raised panel wrenches that weren't included in a set (have some six point).  I always bought the pro or industrial series.

When I turned 16, Montgomery Wards was big and I bought tools there, however it was after the Powerkraft line (first wrenches were from India and comparable to others Craftsmen raised panels.
Good tools would be nice, but 16 year old budget with only the trunk to store things.

Until the 1990's the best wrenches Sears sold were RP wrenches. The high polish stuff did not appear until the 1990's. Personally, I never had any issues with RP wreches and in fact they remain my primary user wrenches.

Before Wards started going downhill the last year's thar they still offered a decent quality line of mechanic tools their wrenches and sockets and the like were Thorson brand. Later towards the end the only kind of tools found at Wards were not as good as you would find at Wal-Mart!

Online Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2022, 01:32:16 PM »
UB, tell the boy to sell it while he can.  Plenty of old boxes to be had if you look a bit

I did tell him to sell it without hesitation. I didn't need it when I bought. I bought it only because it was stupid cheap.  I am glad to sell it for stupid high money!   :hee20hee20hee:

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2022, 06:14:07 PM »

Until the 1990's the best wrenches Sears sold were RP wrenches. The high polish stuff did not appear until the 1990's. Personally, I never had any issues with RP wreches and in fact they remain my primary user wrenches.

Before Wards started going downhill the last year's thar they still offered a decent quality line of mechanic tools their wrenches and sockets and the like were Thorson brand. Later towards the end the only kind of tools found at Wards were not as good as you would find at Wal-Mart!

What era were the Craftsman full polish wrenches that S-K made for them? I wouldn't mind a set of metrics in those.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2022, 06:35:08 PM »

What era were the Craftsman full polish wrenches that S-K made for them? I wouldn't mind a set of metrics in those.
I think that was 2000's.
Always lookin' to learn

Online Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2022, 07:21:41 PM »
It was the early 2000's and those were very sweet!

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2022, 07:41:23 AM »
the sk code was "k".   for example, k or 1234k marked on the tool would signify it as being sk made.

if i  recall correctly, short, standard and long wrenches, speed handles, palm ratchets flare nut wrenches were the most of it. probably missing a few.

i just pulled out a cman 2010-2011 catalog from my stash. absolutely crazy how many quality tools were available. from craftsman in that catalog as well as tools from wiha, wera,  fluke, dewalt, hobart, lincoln, knipex, sk, channelock etc.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2022, 07:47:12 AM »
Have a SAE set of SK made Cman full polish on my cart for over 20 years.  Really like them.

As to the old Cman RP's some were better then others handle wise. 

Have come to really appreciate SK RP's thanks to Harlan chiding me onetime on a remark I made once.

Also MCGaige Hatch RP's feel real nice in the hand but you don't see them much (Spelling is off I am sure :)))

Offline coolmercury

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2022, 03:35:34 PM »
I bought RP Craftsman back in the early 50's and never had a problem with them.  Over the years I bought more as need developed.  Now if you really want to spend some money on =v= Craftsman wrenches try to buy sets of the Metric and Whitworth wrenches of the early 60's.  I have the complete sets and they still look fine and they still get used.  Well, I don't use the Craftsman W wrenches anymore since I don't work on old British cars anymore.