Author Topic: Has your craftsman vacuum cleaner got a screaming bearing  (Read 2787 times)

Offline torqueman2002

Re: Has your craftsman vacuum cleaner got a screaming bearing
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2022, 06:46:36 PM »
... I also have an old Craftsman (I think) with the same issue.  It's a nice change to open something up and find what was shown on a youtube video!
Oh boy, just when I thought fixing my old 16 gal. Craftsman ( cir. 1980) shop vac was going to be quick and just like shown on YouTube!  :-[

Well, I did find an illustrated parts list on ereplacementparts so there is that. Parts are NA, no problem 'cause I was able to find the bearings (NTN 608 LB) several places.

I was able to get it apart with a bit of effort - mostly fighting rusty fasteners holding the lid and inner lid assemblies together. They had to be separated to remove the motor frame assembly, to get the armature assembly out, to get the lower bearing off the armature shaft, ...

I'll have the bearings on Tuesday 12/7/22. $18.50 shipped from Grainger, including tax. And yes, it cost more to ship than the 2 bearings cost.

More than once I thought to just stop and buy another shop vac for use in the basement, but other than the terrible noise, it did a fine job.

Here are some pics. to show what this model 113.178200 looks like.

1st shows the upper bearing with cooling fan on the armature.
2nd shows the fan that creates the vacuum attached to the lower armature. The inner lid has been removed.
3rd shows the fan removed from the armature shaft, revealing a plastic 'spacer'. The 4 motor frame assembly screws are now accessible.
4th shows the lower bearing and 'rubber' cushion that mounts with the bearing when assembled.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 09:40:12 PM by torqueman2002 »
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2022, 06:56:05 PM »
Did mine today now runs like a champ.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2022, 07:11:15 PM »

I was able to get it apart with a bit of effort - mostly fighting rusty fasteners holding the lid and inner lid assemblies together. They had to be separated to remove the motor frame assembly, to get the armature assembly out, to get the lower bearing off the armature shaft, ...

I'll have the bearings on Tuesday 12/7/22. $18.50 shipped from Grainger, including tax. And yes, it cost more to ship than the 2 bearings cost.

Yeah, sounds like the same process I had to go through to get at mine.  The Vac is probably over 20 years old by now, and no idea how old the Craftsman one is.  Metal canister at any rate.
It seems like a common bearing (22 mm OD, 8 mm ID, 7 or 8 mm thick) so there are a few places for me to check around here before lining the post office's pockets. 

More than once I thought to just stop and buy another shop vac for use in the basement, but other than the terrible noise, it did a fine job.

Both of mine almost got binned, but they both still work despite the caterwaulling.  I have a new ShopVac which is nice and clean and ideal for using in the house.  Fixing the other two means I can keep one in the shop and another in the garage so I don't have to chase all over hells half acre trying to remember where I left it last!

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2022, 07:11:56 PM »
Did mine today now runs like a champ.

Great!

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2022, 07:38:42 PM »
Yup, the bearings on the way are:
OD  22mm
ID     8mm
W     7mm

Once I figured out I was looking at the numbers upside-down, it was easy to find cross-references on NTNs site.
 :celebrate:

608LB, Single Row Radial Ball Bearing - Single Sealed (Non-Contact Rubber Seal)
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Offline Der Bugmeister

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2022, 08:37:31 PM »

I stopped by my local auto jobber today and picked one up.  "608 2RS".  Cost me a whopping $4.78 CDN, so like two bits USD :-D

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2022, 09:28:44 PM »
So the question now is where to get a OEM quality air filter. The new ones at Lowe's are to short and the ones on amazon look like cheap china junk.

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2022, 10:13:32 AM »
So the question now is where to get a OEM quality air filter. The new ones at Lowe's are to short and the ones on amazon look like cheap china junk.
I'm having the same challenge for model 118.178200 - NA on Sears parts and ereplacementparts websites.

I do have the original, very dirty filter that I plan to clean, measure and search for something I can adapt, to make work.

I'll post a follow up.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2022, 09:57:47 PM »
Check with a vacuum cleaner repair shop.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2022, 08:38:03 AM »
That's a good simple idea.

Offline ron350

« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2022, 06:47:58 PM »
 The foam filter's that Lowes and Home Depot sell are 6 inches tall how tall is the Craftsman filter?

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2022, 07:05:54 PM »
Dis big

Offline ron350

« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2022, 08:42:42 PM »
Wow that filter looks like it fits a large shop vac.

The shop vac I have looks like the one in the video but it uses the 6-inch tall foam filter. About every 10 years the foam filter falls apart and needs replacing.

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2022, 09:08:14 PM »
I have a 'newer' CM shop vacuum, model 113.177611.

It takes a 9-17186 'Red Stripe' filter.

Bottom OD, not including the filter material ~=6.50"
Height ~= 7.75"

Non-OEM replacements on Amazon from $15 and up.

=======================

BTW, I found a universal replacement for my old CM shop vac, model 113.178200 at Lowes.

Bottom OD ~=6.75"
Height ~= 9.25"

That is very close to the original filter. I should be able to try it out this weekend.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Shop-Vac/5013192263
« Last Edit: December 09, 2022, 09:14:32 PM by torqueman2002 »

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2022, 09:18:06 PM »
As i mentioned the amazon/chinese filters look super flimsy, i may be wrong . let me know if you guys have used them.