Author Topic: What is your scan tool?  (Read 670 times)

Offline wantedabiggergarage

What is your scan tool?
« on: April 30, 2023, 10:10:53 PM »
Looking at upgrading/updating, or getting a more capable one.  What all do you have and use?

Thanks

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: What is your scan tool?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2023, 06:11:39 AM »
Unfortunately that is one area in my tool inventory that I have neglected. Up to this point I have labored through with a plain OBDII Autel 539B. It's just for quick code scans and basic engine health diagnostics, but no real bidirectional control and manufacturer specific code diagnostics. I will be investing in a Thinktool Pros scanner. I've done the research and price/function comparison, and watched Ivan at Pine Hollow Diagnostics use this tool successfully when many competitors failed and proved to be less than what they promised.

They always go on sale around Thanksgiving, and this year I'm pulling the trigger.

Good luck with your search!

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2023, 11:20:07 AM »
May I suggest you start with listing what you need, and want to do with the scan tool. ie: read codes, live data, bi-directional control, controller programming, ...

In Sep '18 I bought an 'Autel Maxisys MS908 Automotive Diagnostic Tool(Connected with MaxiFlash Elite J2534 Be Equal To MS908P)Android Analysis System with Advanced Key programming ECU Coding'. <-Amazon title.

My choice in large part was driven by the Amazon $s I could apply to it's purchase, but I needed great US coverage, and bi-directional control. I did not need controller programming.

It came with free updates for 1 year. I haven't updated it since, because it is expensive.
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

Offline The Magic Ratchet

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2023, 11:21:34 AM »
I have, or have been through, at least a half-dozen scan tools not to mention that I worked for an auto manufacturer and had access to all their (then) current tools. At least part of what you need to think about is what brand(s) of cars you need to use it on. I have a small generic scan tool that I keep in the car. It's saved me twice while traveling, enabling me to diagnose how serious the problem was and/or delete the code to get me to the next exit or even all the way home. I also have a Snap-On MT2500 (purchased used, in pieces) that served me well for OBD 1 & 2 up until can-bus (2006ish). Since then I have operated with ForScan for my Fords and Vag-Com for the VW's (both are brand specific, almost, dealer level tools). We recently added a Hyundai, a Chevy, and a Subaru to the fleet so I went looking for a tool that was pretty capable for those brands and wouldn't "break the bank." Cost is a relative term and I quickly realized I'd need to spend at least $400 to get where I wanted to be, i.e. bi-directional controls and able to access proprietary systems.

I ended up with an Innova 5160RS. There are similar variants of this model number depending on the seller. It has bi-directional controls and accesses most of the proprietary systems on the cars we own. I have also found, for simple operations, it's often faster and easier to use than either of the proprietary systems. For example, It gets chosen frequently for resetting  VW service indicators. It has an easy-to-read screen, simple operation, and links to Innova's repair database. I haven't really used that feature yet so I can't comment. If I still had my auto repair shop, I would probably have a tool like this for daily use.

The $weet spot for really capable scan tools seems to be in the $400 - $800 price range. If you don't need that much capability, you can get into a good tool that will probably serve most your needs for $100 - $300. I hate to make this sound so complicated but you really need to research a tool that performs the functions you need and works well with your car brand(s). If you look for it, most of the reputable brands have a coverage chart that will give you a good idea of what it will do on what brand/model of car.

Lou Manglass   

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2023, 10:26:45 PM »
great advice.

i just picked up a moderately priced innovis, about 100-130, i really dont recal the exact price or model and would need to check.l. i have an innovis that was about 175 bucks 8-10 years ago, is out of date and has some issues but will still pull a code. we also have a couple doube dongles in that 30-60 dollar range.

they float between the 8 or so vehicles in our family. in all honesty their primary purpose is to tell us if a code is a major or minor issue and to diagnose those minor ones we can repair at home. beyond that we seek a pros help/advice.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2023, 02:10:10 AM »
In the old days, I had an AutoXray for personal use, and had easier access to the shops readers.  The AutoXray died, and in the last five years, my whole schedule/life changed.
In 2020, after one boss passed, his family asked me to move into his house, take care of the pet and help find stuff/clean out the estate. (known the family for close to 40 years)
I needed something quick and wanted some live data, so I bought a Foxwell NT301, then a year later, I bought another vehicle, that requires a tool that can program the key fobs.
So I figure while I don't really need or have as much time to work on my own car, I would like to somewhat futureproof my purchase.
The Thinktool is nice, but $500 a year to keep it up to date, just makes no sense to me.
Been looking at the Xtool D7, D8 as well as the Autel MK808Z.

Offline torqueman2002

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2023, 08:58:48 AM »
I'm a retired GM Powertrain service engineer. I had their latest scan tools, of course. And service information, my group's responsibility was to write, and verify the diagnostic tables for P-codes, etc.

I have found the Autel to be capable of all the functions the factory OEM scan tool is capable of. Actually, more because it covers all brands!

Just my 2 cents.
"I got to show the young boys how not to do it. I haven't showed them everything not to do, yet. It's a big job!" - Otto Kilcher

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2023, 06:37:37 PM »
Thought I would post an update.........

Sent both Autel and Xtool my question and Xtool responded in around 24 hours.  So looked at more video's and found the D7 had been updated with some of the D8 capabilities.  It has more free updates and did a few more services.
So I ordered the D7 and it will be here Thursday.