Author Topic: Corded saws vs cordless  (Read 864 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

Corded saws vs cordless
« on: June 30, 2023, 11:41:02 AM »
Do you still use a corded saw or have you completely made the switch ?

The corded saws are definitely less convenient,  but they work and bring the power .
That's why I still just have the cheap little Ryobi for quick convenient use, and the old early 90's Skillsaw " Classic edition " for the major stuff.
I'm just a DIY'er whose always got an outlet available,  but the cordless saws or really all tools have taken over for good reason for sure.

My saw happens to be a 2.5HP 10 amp model which I'm realizing now can probably be beat by one of the modern cordless saws, bit I bought the little Ryobi most of all because it's smaller & lighter which the comparable cordless saws are not.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 11:54:10 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline highland512

Re: Corded saws vs cordless
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2023, 01:42:51 PM »
In my situation both are used.
At the house on my personal stuff I use a stationary miter saw, table saw, and a corded circular saw. I just dont use it enough to justify the cost of cordless.
On the job site we have a few cordless circular saws. They definitely have their place when working on light cutting, jobs where you are moving around a lot, and where power is not very accessible. For the most part we have found a cutting station with a miter or power saws seems to be the safest most productive ways to cut material.   

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2023, 02:09:34 PM »
I'm a cord guy. though the cord has been cut and replaced several times on "sears best" circular saw. it has to be thirty yrs old or close to it. I have a 14.4v DeWalt kit with a little cir saw but it never had much and went through batteries pretty fast. now the batteries are done so that stuff is in the attic as I couldn't let my hoarding self let it go. the replacement Milwaukee 14.4v stuff has bit the dust and is up in the attic too. I use a Hitachi 10.4v as my primary drill and driver but have the corded hole shooter Milwaukee within easy reach when the need arises.
Rich

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2023, 05:31:18 PM »
I dont own a cordless circ saw. They've all been tossed. Probably have 6 or more corded saw that get used in various capacities. the only cordless saw that I really love is my Ridgid sawzall. its a one handed saw that cuts knife style. Damned handy saw. I would replace that one in a heartbeat.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2023, 06:06:51 PM »
I also don't use a circular saw enough to justify a better cordless model.
This is my Skill classic series.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2023, 08:53:17 PM »
I bought a craftsman cordless circular saw. When we bought the house. The house is kinda lacking in outlets outside. I think cordless tools have come along way.

That being said. The model I have, it's good for DIY. I may use it a handful of times a year. I wouldn't use it on a job site and expect it to last. I believe corded saws still have their place on a job site.

I always have an eye open for an older corded Skil circular to have around for those jobs that require more muscle.

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline Conductor562

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2023, 01:19:23 AM »
My table saw, miter saw, and all other stationary tools are and will always be corded.

As for handheld, my SDS, routers, sanders, mixing drill, heat gun, and soldering iron are the only things I still plug in. The only one of those I realistically see cutting the cord on would be a palm sander but I’d still want to keep corded options. It’d be handy for small jobs, but most times when I’m sanding I’m 2 or 3 days of blowing saw dust out my nose even though I wore a mask kinda sanding it seems like and on any extended job the shitty ergonomics of the cordless version don’t justify the loss of the cord IMO.

I dunno, I’m 40 now. Maybe I’m just getting a little “fuddy” in my old age.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2023, 04:07:02 PM »
I use to work at a Home Depot and bought a dirt cheap 18v Ryobi battery miter box saw. I  found it very handy for small jobs where I didn't want to run a cord. Same thing with the 18v Ryobi handheld portable circular saw. Both have served me well for small jobs. For a day of heavy work I would choose my corded saws for sure.

They do have their place and uses though.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2023, 01:15:43 PM »
Like most here, corded for the big saw.  I do have a couple small Ryobi cordless, 4.5 or 5 inch and they are great for small projects.  Don't use any of them much as I try to avoid wood :))

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2023, 01:53:15 PM »
It's a corded for me using the vintage Skilsaw but there are many times I'd like to grab a battery saw for a small job.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 06:57:26 PM by stokester »
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2023, 06:54:43 PM »
my saws are all corded. they get used very infrequently so no reason to spend $$$ on cordless

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2023, 08:46:30 AM »
When I watched the TTC test / comparison video I was most surprised that the cordless models didn't universally weigh less.
I don't know why, but I just kind of tend to think of cordless tools as weighing less , and I seem to forget about the weight some of the big high AH battery packs add to the tool.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2023, 12:29:08 PM »
When I watched the TTC test / comparison video I was most surprised that the cordless models didn't universally weigh less.
I don't know why, but I just kind of tend to think of cordless tools as weighing less , and I seem to forget about the weight some of the big high AH battery packs add to the tool.

I have a Makita 1/2 inch impact and it is heavy.  Works fine and will do wheels so no need to replace put if I had to use it a lot, it would kill my wrists