Author Topic: Speaking as a mentor: what I would recommend to young folks starting out  (Read 21972 times)

Offline bonneyman

After almost 40 years of tool buying I've amassed a whole lotta stuff. When surveying my truck and shop I realize alot of items gather so much dust. I wish I had known at 20 what I know now. So I thought I would go through my hand and power tools and distill down my collection to the bare essentials. What I use everyday, what I could do without, what is versatile, what is fluff. Now I'm not nuking anyone's tools. Obviously everyone has their own requirements, and they won't line up exactly with mine. Nor am I talking about collectibles. It's just - if I were giving recommendations to a young man or woman about what minimal tools one should have - this would be that advice. My life has been one of fixing cars, owning a home, fixing bicycles and lawn mowers and appliances - plus doing HVAC for 30+ years. Some of my choices will seem quite odd, while others almost everyone will understand the need.

So, for folks just starting out the cost of assembling a set of tools can seem overwhelming, and the way tool trucks get people into debt with all sorts of stuff they might use once a year - this list is for them. I'll be assuming (yes, I know what that means!) the person will be buying new, and most probably sets of some kind or another. While I would highly recommend buying good, used tools, most people can't afford the time to spend putting together a set of tools one piece at a time.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 10:02:33 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

Re: Speaking as a mentor: what I would recommend to young folks starting out
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2018, 09:59:55 PM »
First off - what brand?

If you're just the average homeowner, you don't need truck brand level tools. As a professional who works his tools hard everyday, you might have to purchase those.
For the longest time I laughed at Harbor Freight, but - myself having started years ago with Craftsman and their lifetime warranty - HF these days isn't such a bad deal. For bare bones price, they are a place to consider. A step up would be Gearwrench and Tekton (and this latter brand is making more and more stuff stateside). S-K is a bit pricey but they, too, are returning production to the U.S.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 10:03:37 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2018, 10:12:38 PM »
Wrenches

One probably should have both SAE and metric, but with so many things tending toward metric you should probably start out with that.
Basic:A set of long, shallow offset 12 pt double box ends, a set of shorty, deep offset 12 pt double box ends, and a set of angle wrenches.

A step up: A set of ratcheting box wrenches

I've found combo wrenches to be 50 percent wasted. Most open ends don't grab well enough anyway, and a long combo puts too much torque on the typical open end and they slip. (Double open ends are a total waste of time.) Better to have an enhanced broached box end to get tough nuts off - a long shallow offset for real torque (and less sideways slipping), and shorty deep offset boxes for tight and restricted areas. For those jobs that require an open end an angle wrench will do the job, and second as a good wrench when restricted turning is required.

Ratcheting box wrenches really help speed removal, most offer enhanced broaching, and come in a variety of styles by almost every manufacturer. Though I've never had the need for flex-head styles alot of jobs now seem to require them.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2018, 10:20:38 PM »
Your classes of tools are not far off mine.

General home use
plumbing
bike
sparky
cement
paintin' stuff

None are really much space and most cross over a bit.  I only work on cars at work so mech tools at home are mainly my bling in deep storage.

Nothing dearly costly nor rows of red tin condos.    All 2nd hand off brand stuff in big ticket items and well used before me usually.  Some bought broken or missing bits and repaired.
    I am only out to impress my wife with results and not with huge piles of top brand tools.

What to suggest to a younger guy getting a start?  Educate yourself on how to do the jobs right with basic tools and buy my overflow so I can cash out of unused stuff.  Lol!
  More seriously buy a solid set of base tools to cover needs and learn how to use them well.  A lot can be done with few tools.

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2018, 10:24:45 PM »
I feel combos are a necessity in the box. I used a 3/4" and 1" yesterday to take the torch apart to make sure the rosebud and welding tip fir. I couldn't have done that with a box end or socket. If you are going to deal with air hoses or gas hoses you need an open end or at least a flare wrench. Just way too many needs for an open end or combo to not have them.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2018, 10:33:06 PM »
Sockets and ratchets

A 3/8" socket set will handle most home needs. Unless one does heavy auto work they won't need 1/2", and 1/4" stuff can be done with nutdrivers and the like.
For years I had only an SAE set of shallow and deeps, and a shallow set of metrics. With the more modern semi-deep sockets I'd say you could do 85-90% of your daily needs with them. And though I've used alot of 12 points, I think 6 points slip less and last longer and handle being dirty better. Since sockets are a wear item they will eventually wear out and need replacing, so easy access to the brand and a store that keeps things stocked is a big plus. Sears used to be that to a T, but they're on the way out.
Ratchets - I like round knurled handles with low back drag and about 40 teeth. Much easier to hold than ergonomic and smooth handle styles - but on the other hand harder to clean. Also like rats that are easily disassembled with circlips or springs only - no screws to lose or strip out. You want a quality ratchet - for decades I had one S-K 45170 roundhead. Made since 1934, still made, rebuild kits still available (but I've never done mine). if you only wnat one then this is the one to get.

Other things I didn't miss and could do without - fine tooth rats, quick release and flex-head versions. Just never needed them. But having a pear head 24 tooth for HD beater use wouldn't hurt.

A decent collection of extensions is necessary, and usually comes in a socket set. (The lengths and number are dependent on your usage.) A solid universal joint is also good, but breaker bars, sliding T-handles, and so many other "accessories" just take up space.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2018, 10:38:17 PM »
Pliers
You need a slip joint 6", a needlenose 6", a locking plier 7", and a waterpump style adjustable 8".

Slip joints are just a necessity for grabbing things, a ViseGrip-kind of locking is essential, and I've preferred Knipex alligator adjustable pliers to Channelocks. The angle jaws with those let you turn iron pipe and nuts better.

One can almost combine the slip joint and waterpump in what used to be called a parrot-head plier. But seeing they're no longer made you'd probably have to go with the separate ones.

Get a Pistol-grip style of needlenose. Especially helpful when reaching into an electrical box - because you can see where the tips are! And they help with increased grip, too. Like these:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/7-in-Pistol-Grip-Long-Nose-Pliers-C7CRPG/203683914
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 11:12:55 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2018, 10:40:46 PM »
Screwdrivers

Screwdrivers are a pet peeve of mine. So many brands, so many sets with so many lengths and tip sizes and handle shapes. Good golly one could go nuts searching for the right drivers! :-[

While most all tools I recommend buying sets, with screwdrivers I strongly recommend piecing together a collection yourself one at a time. I mean, I've never seen the need for a 40-50 piece driver set (and yet I'm assembling such a set of Proto yellow handles! call me a hypocrite!!!)  :D

One thing this Proto set has taught me is I almost always grab for the same ones. The others get picked up to put to a use, then get hung back on the hook and I return to my favorites. I know I'll get a ton of flack for this , but, here's the only screwdrivers you'll need.

Right off the bat, get a quality 6-in-1 reversible bit driver. In fact, get two or three and put them in different places around the house. You'll use them! (Enderes makes about the best drivers around).

Phillips - 11" shank #2, 6" shank #2, 3" shank #1, pocket clip #0,

Standard - 10" shank 3/8", 6" shank 3/8", 3" shank 1/4", 1" shank 5/16" stubby, 2" shank 1/8" pocket clip,

Cabinet styles, #3 and #4 phillips, clutch type, even alot of torx sizes most folks will never use. So why buy this overflowing set containing dozens of drivers you don't need?

I'm going to put these things together for a pic, as it's easier to show them than to describe them.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 11:10:01 PM by bonneyman »

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2018, 10:44:35 PM »
A lot of answers since I started this so some may seem redundant.

Not an easy question to answer and so much of this revolves around intangibles or specific use. I work on (my own) cars but many don't so that would influence a lot of choices and I also work on a most everything else so I have a pretty big range of stuff. Preference comes into play - I use a lot of combo wrenches and DBE but don't use OE's unless I need to. Some reach for OE first. A saltus wrench is favored by many and a gimmick to others.

Having said all that for just a let's start somewhere a basic set of 3/8 sockets and a ratchet or five plus some extensions in standard length and deep from about 9 to about 19mm but how much you need inch sizes is an open question. A good set of combo wrenches in the same range. A ball peen, and claw hammer, Channellock/waterpump style pliers, screwdrivers, maybe a magnetic bit screwdriver, Torx drivers or bits for the magnetic, a set of Allen keys to at least 7mm, maybe a set of regular slip joints, a needle nose, some small clamps, a good metal file, a really good hacksaw and a good tool box with some room seems like a pretty good start. The rest, including a vise, I'd probably say get as you need unless someone is starting in a trade or specific hobby.

As to brands so many good ones like Williams, Wright, SK, and many more I'd say mix and match as prices and preferences strike unless the need is immediate. I'd personally avoid HF (although in interest of disclosure I do have some) because I'm a bit USAcentric. OK maybe more than a bit.

A lot of sets do not seem much cheaper than open stock so it might be better to buy singles than sets. Or buying the 10 sizes you start with may be cheaper than a larger set with sizes you probably won't use. Snap-on is usually the sum of retail prices on sets and often the pouch or container is charged in as well and other brands do the same so it pays to check. I believe SK and especially traditional Craftsman are almost always cheaper by the set.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2018, 10:49:08 PM »
Electric meter

Everyone has to have an electric meter. One may need a specialized one for their chosen occupation, but a simple meter can be used just about anywhere. I'm not a big fan of high tech, but a wide range digital clamp meter is a must. So long as it reads AC and DC volts, ohms for resistance, and AC amps - you're set for most jobs around the house and car.
You gotta watch the battery level, and they don't like being dropped or getting wet, but with reasonable care they should last a good while. And they're not expensive. I have a Taiwanese-made one that cost me $100 thirty years ago. One with very similar features is dirt cheap at Harbor Freight. And pawn shops are typically overstocked with quality meters that people down on their luck turned into them. Worth checking out.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2018, 10:53:36 PM »
Electric drill

For occasional home use an inexpensive corded drill can be had most anywhere. I prefer corded drills because I've gone through so many batteries on cordless ones - or they die at THE worst time - I just stick with corded drills. One with a 3/8" keyless chuck will do most everything you want to do. 1/4" is a bit underpowered for some jobs, 1/2" is way too big for DIY use.

I don't know if any corded drills are still USA made, but I could be mistaken. If you don't need the drill TODAY, buy and older used USA one at a pawn shop or off of ebay.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2018, 11:46:03 PM »
A meter may or may not be something I'd recommend to a beginner and it depends on the person, what they want to do. I agree it's a good basic tool to have but I know some (especially my former boss, the troll) who do not know how to properly use one and misuse the results to justify their opinions or desired results. In other words it can be dangerous in some hands.

In the trolls case he can not use the Ohms function as the concept is beyond him so doesn't have a clue why it's important and what it can show and he has no clear understanding of what voltage is and can not differentiate between a voltage changing magnitude and polarity on one wire and staying neutral/ground on the other.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2018, 12:07:21 AM »
Buying the screwdrivers individually is a good idea, I've got a few sets and definitely find myself using the same general sizes or even specific drivers from the sets.

my sets weren't expensive so it was worth it to be able to figure out what drivers I needed through use, but I definitely don't like how many sets favor standard sizes over Phillips.
I'm using standards more and more than I have in the past but still not as much as Phillips.

Even though I'm mostly still starting out, I have been tinkering fro over 10 years.
In those years of tinkering I have found a decent 1/4" bit driver to be handy ,while I would stay away from inexpensive precision bit drivers becsuse the bits are butter soft and just do not hold up.
Regular precision screwdrivers will often have harder tips than their inexpensive bit driver counterparts.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 12:21:18 AM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2018, 12:12:51 AM »
Electric drill

For occasional home use an inexpensive corded drill can be had most anywhere. I prefer corded drills because I've gone through so many batteries on cordless ones - or they die at THE worst time - I just stick with corded drills. One with a 3/8" keyless chuck will do most everything you want to do. 1/4" is a bit underpowered for some jobs, 1/2" is way too big for DIY use.

I don't know if any corded drills are still USA made, but I could be mistaken. If you don't need the drill TODAY, buy and older used USA one at a pawn shop or off of ebay.
I just want to note that hex shank drills are a great when you have a keyless chuck, you won't have to worry about how tight yuove got it not that you can get them very tight anyways.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline highland512

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2018, 07:43:09 AM »
Tekton is stepping up their game. I bout a set of the USA made screw drivers for use around the house and I love them. Great feel in my hand and they dont seem to be stripping screws.

I also saw on channel 3 they have just introduced a new angle wrench design, USA made in Mi. Looks like instead of drop forging the are cutting the blanks out on a cnc plasma table then doing the finish work with cnc machine. I am very interested in this as they are selling a set (3/8-1) for $140 and USA made!! With those prices we might just have a craftsman replacement for Joe homeowner who supports the USA economy. I asked the Tekton rep on the site about future plans, he hinted that more wrench designs would be coming stateside!

https://www.tekton.com/wrenches/open-end-wrenches

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2018, 09:38:23 AM »
Electric drill

I just want to note that hex shank drills are a great when you have a keyless chuck, you won't have to worry about how tight yuove got it not that you can get them very tight anyways.

So true! I got my first keyless chucks about two years ago after using the old fashioned kind for decades. With round drill bits the keyless ones just wouldn't get tight enough. But with hex shafted drill and driver bits, a keyless chuck really speeds up the job.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2018, 09:40:04 AM »
Tekton is stepping up their game. I bout a set of the USA made screw drivers for use around the house and I love them. Great feel in my hand and they dont seem to be stripping screws.

I also saw on channel 3 they have just introduced a new angle wrench design, USA made in Mi. Looks like instead of drop forging the are cutting the blanks out on a cnc plasma table then doing the finish work with cnc machine. I am very interested in this as they are selling a set (3/8-1) for $140 and USA made!! With those prices we might just have a craftsman replacement for Joe homeowner who supports the USA economy. I asked the Tekton rep on the site about future plans, he hinted that more wrench designs would be coming stateside!

https://www.tekton.com/wrenches/open-end-wrenches

Yeah I saw those talked about over at GJ. Those angle wrenches are the bomb!

Someone mentioned that maybe Tekton should start making zero offset high-performance DBE's.   O:-)

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2018, 09:44:39 AM »
Adjustable wrenches

Since I don't have many open end options I depend more heavily on adjustables. A 6" and 10" are the ones I use the most by far, though an 8" has become more used. (Little 4"ers are collectibles only, and 12" rarely get used by me). But get the wide-opening variety. That little extra bit of widening sure seems to come in handy.

Hex bit driver

There are so many different sizes and types of fasteners out there one would go broke trying to assemble a set of screwdrivers to fit them all. better to get a solid drive handle and then grab a nice set of 1/4" hex bits. How varied a set you get depends on your needs, but this way you can get Torx sizes, square for license plates, and hex to square adaptors for use with sockets. (I already frowned upon sockets in 1/4" drive as not as necessary as 3/8", but - with a bit driver - a sockets only 1/4" set would fill a big part of the bill for small fasteners.
Almost everybody makes a bit driver - I prefer ratcheting types.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 10:00:35 AM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2018, 09:49:32 AM »
Sheet metal tools

A pair of snips both left and right, an ear bender, a couple of scratch awls, and a good tinners hammer. Everybody does a little sheet metal now and then, especially if you're a home owner. These tools combined with other stuff you have around the shop will get you through most jobs.

And while we're on the subject, grab a 16 foot measuring tape. I've found shorter ones are too small for all-around use and longer are too big and bulky and not that necessary for most home jobs. And I never thought about it much till I got my first one, but a blade that's in both SAE and metric is almost a necessity these days.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2018, 09:56:45 AM by bonneyman »

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2018, 10:02:08 AM »
Most of the time my selection of screwdrivers just take up space in the drawers. But a couple months ago I encountered Reed & Prince screws on a carburetor on a golf cart. I also encounter #3 Phillips screws once in a while along with Torx. My tools have been acquired over a lifetime and I didn't start out fully equipped. It does help to start out with sets so you have things covered. If a person is entering a trade the tools required could be vastly different between trades.

When I started out in steel fabrication I was issued a 4lb hammer, leather gloves, welding helmet and safety glasses while I had to bring a 25' tape measure and boots. Don't ever show up to work on an airplane with adjustable wrenches. You will hear some evil language. ;D

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2018, 10:04:48 AM »
Wood tools

I could sure use help from you carpenters out there on this one. I can list the items I have but I'm not as experienced at wood-working as many of you. What a beginner should have in the way of saw and stuff is not my specialty so please chime in.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2018, 10:07:18 AM »
Don't ever show up to work on an airplane with adjustable wrenches. You will hear some evil language. ;D

Oh yeah, I've been the recipient of such special English at times myself.  ;D

Offline walrus

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2018, 06:22:47 PM »
Electric drill

I don't have a corded tool in my truck.  And my cordless stuff is used each and every day

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2018, 09:35:27 PM »
Electric drill

I don't have a corded tool in my truck.  And my cordless stuff is used each and every day

What brand/voltage do you use?

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2018, 09:41:51 PM »
Allen wrenches

A set of quality L-wrenches. I have a few T-handles in sizes I use often (and have several of the sets inside a folding handle), but I do keep a set of regular ole L-wrenches which have done me well for a long time.
Not a fan of the ball style, nor do I use hex sockets, though the enhanced profile sold by WERA look and sound awesome. Have not yet sprung for them as they are a bit pricey, but they are on my to get list.

https://www-de.wera.de/en/great-tools/hex-plus/

Flare wrenches

For plumbers or those who work with soft flare fittings, a set of flare wrenches are very helpful. But I think of them as a step-up kind of tool.

Offline strik9

• X
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2018, 11:26:36 PM »
Allen wrenches are not a heavy use thing at work and near never at home.  A pair of folders kept at home and work anyway.

Torx get heavy use at work on GM or German cars but at home only when I use the loose fasteners from work. 

Again folders and all but dollar store specials have been great.  The Eklind are longest lasting.

And I do have to disagree a bit on double open end wrenches.   I found several sets with good solid feel and excellent fit.  I use some near daily. Poor fit on them is crap but only a few I found were too springy or just off on size.
     Don't throw them all under the bus yet!

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2018, 06:22:12 PM »
When I did commercial AC I found that a set of flair/combos was the best thing to use. I had to haul everything up on my back or by hand line, so I tended to dual-use things whenever I could. Those and the 1/4 hex impact along with a driver were the absolute essentials.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2018, 07:02:27 PM »
Allen wrenches are not a heavy use thing at work and near never at home.  A pair of folders kept at home and work anyway.

Torx get heavy use at work on GM or German cars but at home only when I use the loose fasteners from work. 

Again folders and all but dollar store specials have been great.  The Eklind are longest lasting.

And I do have to disagree a bit on double open end wrenches.   I found several sets with good solid feel and excellent fit.  I use some near daily. Poor fit on them is crap but only a few I found were too springy or just off on size.
     Don't throw them all under the bus yet!

Well, I have a set of Gear Wrench ratcheting combos that I love so I'll tolerate the one side being an open end.  :D

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2018, 08:58:16 PM »
Interesting you bring up the ratcheting GW wrenches. I have a set or two and honestly don't think they are much better than the Harbor Freight offerings except GW has more sizes. But in full disclosure I am not a GW fan and would buy what I see as basically the same quality from HF at less cost if I'm buying Taiwan/China.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2018, 09:27:48 PM »
I've got a couple of gearwrench socket sets and they are great. a couple of 1/4 in swivel sets and some midi 1/4 and 3/8 metrics.  Cant say anything about the wrenches but I've been impressed with these sockets.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2018, 10:14:28 PM »
I have a ratcheting screwdriver set and it includes 1/4 sockets. I can't say I'm very impressed at all with the sockets. The ratcheting drivers are fine and I have no issues but considering how many choices I have I don't have to settle and to me buying Taiwan/China is settling in the first place.

So why spend what I see as Proto prices for HF quality and that's just the way I see it.

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2018, 10:55:02 PM »
I bought my first set of SAE gear Wrenches in 1996. I remember the year because I was working for a company with a good friend of mine, and we had talked about the ratcheting box wrenches - which were new at that time. The next day I walked in with a set, and he said, "I hate you!" :)

Still have that original set, and have acquired a 1/4"er just because the things have worked so well and taken abuse and none have ever failed. I don't know if the new examples are the same quality as those first ones, but I'm sold on GW. I kinda knew they were Taiwan-made but got them anyway. Man am I glad I did!

One thing I haven't considered till now is the fact that with the socket adaptors GW has come out with one can have a real shallow ratchet/socket set just by having the GW's.

I'm dedicated to buying American, but Taiwan has produced some really good stuff. My recent purchase of the composite ratchets just proves their worth.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2018, 11:01:27 PM »
I bought Armstrong ratcheting wrenches, USA made and really nice. Don't really need them, but got them at a great price.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2018, 11:45:23 PM »
I agree Taiwan makes some good stuff, as does China. I just don't like to buy it although I will if I have a reason. My preference for USA made has more to do with pride of place and a little jingoism than any other reason. There area few countries I don't like doing business with but that gets into a realm best discussed in another area.

I'm not familiar with older GW and in fact didn't know they went back to the 80's - I thought they were later than that.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2018, 11:15:33 AM »
my bare minimum tool set would consist of wrenches to 3/4 and 19mm with a 3/8 socket set covering the same sizes. a 4 pc set of pliers consisting of needle nose, side cutting, slip joint and water pump.  a good 4 or 6 piece screwdriver set would cover the driver end.

those basic sets would cover about 90% of what one needs to take apart, fix and adjust most mechanical things.

a hammer, small punch/chisel set, pry bar, 1/4 bit set with driver, adjustable wrench, small pick set, compact 3/8 and locking flex ratchets take that to almost 100% unless your  needs fall into 1/2 or larger drive sizes

i still use 1/4 drive sockets but honestly  i would rarely need them as long as i have a compact 3/8 ratchet.  the only real issue with that is some of the smaller sizes are  not readily available in 3/8 drive.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2018, 12:12:27 PM »
I bought a set of SAE flex-head GW on a Black Friday sale at the Hometown store 8 years ago and they quickly became a go to set. They work great for pulling the bolts that hold the hood on the tractor. I bought a 20 pc SAE/Metric set at NAPA several years ago and am happy with them. If they wouldn't of been on a special sale I may not have bought them.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2018, 12:19:08 PM »
my bare minimum tool set would consist of wrenches to 3/4 and 19mm with a 3/8 socket set covering the same sizes. a 4 pc set of pliers consisting of needle nose, side cutting, slip joint and water pump.  a good 4 or 6 piece screwdriver set would cover the driver end.

those basic sets would cover about 90% of what one needs to take apart, fix and adjust most mechanical things.

a hammer, small punch/chisel set, pry bar, 1/4 bit set with driver, adjustable wrench, small pick set, compact 3/8 and locking flex ratchets take that to almost 100% unless your  needs fall into 1/2 or larger drive sizes

i still use 1/4 drive sockets but honestly  i would rarely need them as long as i have a compact 3/8 ratchet.  the only real issue with that is some of the smaller sizes are  not readily available in 3/8 drive.
I would say you're about right , I have most of that stuff in my house box and rarely have i needed more for any basic repair work I've done.

To store the basic set of tools I would recommend the $20 HF " 17" hip roof toolbox " it's a great steel toolbox with tray for the money.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 12:23:13 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2018, 01:48:57 PM »
I have several sets of gear type wrench sets. Some came from HF, other sets from elsewhere and a few sets are actual GW brand. Every set I bought on sale or from a pawn shop, and I bought all of them new. None of mine go larger than 7'8".

I always viewed gear type wrenches as a luxury that I was not willing to invest heavily in. It seemed all of them regardless the brand used to come from offshore and honestly, to me, every set I have including HF are about even on quality and performance. I like them very much and reach for them often. I have been very pleased with every set I bought and no longer care where they came from.

Since those are still a luxury to me I never saw a need to go into the larger sizes, when I need to go that large my old regular wrenches will do just fine.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2018, 05:26:41 PM »
I'm not familiar with older GW and in fact didn't know they went back to the 80's - I thought they were later than that.

I didn't know they cam out in the 1980's. I started in AC around 1988, and my original tool bag contained my Bonney combos. I thought when I bought my GW they were a new thing. But I could be wrong - my memory is fraying around the edges badly these days.

When did Gear Wrench intro their ratcheting box wrenches and combos?

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2018, 05:47:58 PM »
I had thought you mentioned in your post you bought them in 1986. In rereading it you said 1996 so I misread what you wrote. Sorry for the confusion. 96 would be more in line with what I thought but still a little earlier than I had imagined. I found a company timeline and it seems the wrenches were introduced in 95 earlier still than I thought.

http://cms.gearwrench.com/gearwrench/brands-timeline/2000

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2018, 06:18:44 PM »
I had thought you mentioned in your post you bought them in 1986. In rereading it you said 1996 so I misread what you wrote. Sorry for the confusion. 96 would be more in line with what I thought but still a little earlier than I had imagined. I found a company timeline and it seems the wrenches were introduced in 95 earlier still than I thought.

http://cms.gearwrench.com/gearwrench/brands-timeline/2000

Cool, so I'm not going crazy after all! Whew! :o

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2018, 09:02:15 AM »
Tools are a subjective topic. A lot depends on the vehicles(brand, manufacturer), home age, and projects the tool procurer is willing to tackle.

I started off with sae stuff as I had(still have) the Buick GS455. I didn't buy metric stuff until I bought the first Turbo Regal and half the fasteners were metric. But if this individual has foreign or just modern vehicles sae is probably not even needed. I like a 3/8" drive set. Probably 6 point with shallow and deep and a hf ratchet  to get going. It can be upgraded as funds and desires allow. I have craftsman, husky, kobalt, matco, and snappy ratchets. I like em all but some do better than others for specific tasks. I do love the snap on locking flex ratchet but it is too big for some tasks and I really like the 3/8 drive in a 1/4" body flex shorty but it is way out of the price range for a starter set.

As far as screw drivers that is another deal where the project  decides where i fall on them. I have Klein for the home stuff and keep em in an open top carrier. Phillips, flat, a flat with wire loop maker post is handy for electrical work as I don't use the push in thing and will take the time to loop it and screw it down. But for automotive machines and lawn n garden stuff the snappy screw drivers just seem to work better. Not sure why and maybe it is my imagination but I have a drawer full of the snappy and craftsman that I use for that type repair stuff. I also have some of the hf orange hard handles. I cant say anything bad about them. I abuse them and such and they come back for more and I think for a dollar or two a piece you cant go wrong with them though I'm not sure they even sell em any more. as the last "free" set was black handle and they are different(I haven't even gotten them out of the package yet to try em. Though I got several sets to give and loan out).

I have Klein needle nose pliers with the stripper hole and love that. Line man pliers for grabbing stuff and squishing things. I bought some thomas & Betts squishing pliers for crimp connectors. Wow they are great(Had them probably fifteen yrs now but went a long time with out and looking back should have bought them sooner). I have some craftsman pliers that don't have the nut at the fulcrum they are just made together so they never get loose. I found a set like that at hf and like them too but had to spray the  handles with hairspray to keep em from slipping off. I love me some channel locks, I have from little to the big Azz size and use them pretty regularly.

I too went through several sets of battery tools over the yrs. Nothing lasts forever. I even set out to replace the batteries in the ones that didn't work but for the cost and hassle it was much less hassle and less money to just buy another set of tool. Went through the 14.4 dewalt and Milwaukee(Last of the USA made Milwaukee when HD clearanced em) and am now using 12 v Hitachi that I think has just as much power as the 14.4 and is much lighter. I got them as rebuilts from a site that sends me emails(I'm sure it could be found with a search). I think I gave about $60 shipped for the drill, 1/4" drive impact, flashlight, two batteries, charger and a carrying bag. Also got a 5/8" hammer drill from them for like $30 shipped and a grinder and some other things, all Hitachi I'm sure it is the return stuff from lowes they repair and resell. I have a Milwaukee HoleShooter also last of the USA when HD clearanced for a corded drill along with several craftsman drills that never see the light of day as I use the battery stuff. I did pick up a skil 10.4 v as a deal for like $25 to try out. Cant kill that thing either, I charge it every few months and it sits on my work bench. It doesn't have mad power but for running screws in and out it is great.

I like a 25' tape measure. Though my dad will always pick a 16' though it has to be 1' wide so it will really stand out. I have some 16' ones but rarely pick one up. I did pick up a cool magnet thing with belt clip. Saves on the jean pocket as you clip it on and pull the tape off and it will go back on an stay with the magnet, pretty slick but not really needed for a starter. Speed square and a big metal square are handy for marking and measuring stuff.

Then you get into the things that are more specialized. I have a tile saw from hf. It works but boy is it messy. My dad has a bigger on with the sliding table and the big catch pan and stand. It is the cadillac but for a seventh the price the hf one does the job as I don't do tile every day. Sawzall is real handy as is a circular saw. Both are dangerous in the hands of a novice. I unplug them as soon as I set them down as habit from when My kids where young. They were frequent fliers at the emergency room as it was and I didn't want to be the reason for another visit. A mapp gas torch is real handy for heating things and sweating copper pipes. Kinda worthless if you don't know how to use it and can be super dangerous by burning your place down. I always recommend a partner to watch as you work to make sure you aren't burning things while concentrating on the thing you are doing. Grinder even a little 4" or 4.5" can do some real damage in the hands of a novice. Face shield, gloves and a thick apron might be in order.

I think the most important thing is ppe and the top of that list is a comfortable pair of safety glasses. If they are uncomfortable you wont put them on and that can be catastrophic.
You only get two so keep em as safe as possible. And don't put your fingers any where you would put your man part. You only get so many of those to start with.

Not really all encompassing but some of the stuff that fills my garage.
Rich

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2018, 09:17:41 AM »
Alot of good tips in there, Tex. I especially like the magnet idea for the tape measure - can't count how many pockets I've tore out of blue jeans over the years. Wish I'd stumbled on that tip years ago! And two big thumbs up on safety equipment use - one can't replace a lost eye or finger...or man part! :))

Honestly, I never saw the "need" for cordless drills. Sure, they can be handy, and I do use my Makita 9.6 volter for running in sheet metal screws, but it seems like EVERYBODY today has a lithium-ion thing hooked to the back of their pants! If I need a drill that much I'd just run out the extension cord and use the corded drill. Have several for spares, they're cheap as heck, and never have to worry about the battery dying. Though the cord does get tied up on things. Have a bid up on an old metal cased drill - hope I get it. Should be the last corded drill I buy.

But I'd be open to checking out the refurbishing site you spoke of. If you can provide a link that would be great.

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2018, 09:42:46 AM »
The site I got the stuff from is www.bigskytool.com but I went there and they don't appear to have very much in stock. I am signed up on their email list so they send out emails with their specials I think weekly. I have gotten some bargains and am sure after Christmas when everyone returns the stuff they broke or don't want they will have a bunch of stuff.

The magnet thing is like this though I don't remember paying that much for it.
https://www.amazon.com/US-Tape-59955-Magtite-Measure/dp/B004RIF7ZO?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B004RIF7ZO

I'm a bargain hunter and thrive on refurbished stuff. I figure it is probably in better shape than the new stuff as someone has tested it out and returned it then the place fixes what is wrong and probably test it again and it works so it might be used but it is tested several times and now works. I haven't had a phone that isn't refurbished in over a decade.

This is the hammer drill I got on the cheap.. With carry case and all.
https://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-DV16VSS-2-Mode-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B00CX33CM0?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00CX33CM0

And this is the drill driver set I got for much less than they are selling it.
https://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-KC10DFL2-Cordless-Lifetime-Warranty/dp/B00N3W70UK?psc=1&SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00N3W70UK

I like to buy off the ebay though I am having trouble with a "bait n switch" seller that isn't seeming to want to return my money. Because NO, I don't want something else you have. I want what I ordered and I seriously doubt that it was returned damaged on a sunday after ordering it on thursday and it was the "last" one. So, up the ebay chain we go until I get my $30.36 back.

But They do have a lot of tools that can be a good price if you don't need them right away and can be patient to ferret out the bargains.

And I love the new Tekton, made in USA wrenches that are coming out. Doubt I'll buy new but used are only a few yrs away. Never know they could end up on the santa list.
https://www.tekton.com/angle-head-open-end-wrench-sets-keeper?quantity=1&metric-piece-count=16-pc&unit=metric

Bottom line as with anything, If you are patient and have the cash ready there are plenty of bargains out there on tools with a lot of life left in em that your grandchildren could be using some day. I know my snappy and craftsman stuff will hopefully be held in high regard but if it isn't I told the kids just throw em in the casket with me if you are just going to sell em. I might need em in the here after.
Rich

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2018, 11:58:54 AM »
Oh yeah that magnet tape holder is damn nice. I'll have to recommend it to my apprentice.

When I worked at the hardware store a tape measure was a must. I just clipped it on my military-style web belt. I have several colors of those to go with different kinds of pants, and the mil-surp on-line store I buy from is reasonable and quick ship when I eventually wear them out.

Was thinking of making a stainless steel clip holder similar to these that held my ring of keys. But never got around to it.

https://www.keyring.com/okayskeysafechromeplated.aspx

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #45 on: November 20, 2018, 02:18:52 PM »
https://mailchi.mp/ce2ef65bd268/lets-start-the-sales-with-50-off-hitachis-4-12-grinder?e=826234ec1b

Link to that place I mentioned. Sale on the 4.5" grinder.
I'll look for a pic of the magnet holder. I saw it in the background the other day of a pic when I was overhauling the first trans .
Rich

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: November 20, 2018, 02:21:00 PM »
I'm up to my nose in grinders, but that is a great deal -- Hitachi at HF prices is hard to beat.

Offline TexasT

• Where I can be found
« Reply #47 on: November 21, 2018, 09:34:24 AM »
https://mailchi.mp/223ac5af2324/day-2-of-black-friday-sales-deep-discounts-on-hitachi-cordless?e=826234ec1b

Here is some battery powered stuff, since grinders are what you need. Haha
Rich