Author Topic: The Arsenal Continues To Grow  (Read 4692 times)

Offline GNAP

The Arsenal Continues To Grow
« on: March 07, 2019, 10:42:03 AM »
I’ve had some family and computer issues over the past 3-4 months, but during that time the rifle inventory has continued to grow. About 2 years ago, I only had the Remington 510 Targetmaster, since then, I’ve added Ruger American Rimfire, a bolt action 22lr, a Ruger 10/22 semiautomatic, a Henry pump-action, a Henry AR7 survival rifle and in mid-January, a Ruger Precision Rimfire (RPRF).

The RPRF is a chassis based, 22lr bolt action target rifle, with a pistol grip and a 22 mm bull barrel. Ruger designed the gun as a 100+ yard target rifle, and because of this, is set up from the factory for a scope, with no iron sights. The GNAP, being his usual contrary self, bought the rifle to use in a 50 ft indoor and 100 ft outdoor iron sight league, with no scopes or enhanced optics allowed.

So the sights have become somewhat of a hunt and seek operation. I finally decided on a picatinney rail mounted M1 style rear peep sight and a clamp on front sight, that mounts directly on the barrel, oinally designed or a Mossberg tactical 12ga shotgun, which had a 22 mm barrel, the same as the RPRF. I also added a JCB-Solutions muzzle brake and a AR15 style M-Lok angled front hand grip.

The league I shoot in, is a loosely based group (HS classmates, friends, relatives, their friends and relatives, etc, etc), with some very strange and strick operation rules. The rifle must be hand held, but arm and hand supports may be used, I can not set the barrel on a support, but I can set my hand on the support and then support the barrel in my hand. You shoot 3 targets of 5 shots each and submit the best target.

There has been a learning curve, in my practice routine, I shoot sets of 5 targets with 10 shots each, at 50 ft at the indoor range, the bullseye is 1” in diameter, with each round a possible 10 point score, my averages are in the 96.8% to 98.4%. I did have a 5 target set of 5 perfect targets, but since then, I’ve returned to my usual range.

They are 6 weeks into the 50 ft indoor part of the season, I missed the first 2 outings, but since then, I’ve had 2 thirds, a fourth and a tie for second, resulting in being 6th so far in the standings. Last Year with he Remington 510, I finished 11th, I’m hoping to finish in at least the top 5, this year.

Here are a few pictures, the rifle and a target, 10 shots at 50 ft, using the iron sights
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 10:45:13 AM by GNAP »
jack

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: The Arsenal Continues To Grow
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 11:09:32 AM »
Nice shootin' Jack! .....and it sounds like a heck of a lot of fun doing it with people you like to be around.

I'm a BIG fan of 22LR rifles -- a 22LR caliber rifle is probably the most versatile shooting platform there is.

Offline bmwrd0

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 11:21:09 AM »
Actually, I too have been thinking about upgrading my .22lr situation. I have a pretty nice '30s H&R 999 target revolver and a dead accurate Russian bolt action, the one Winchester later adopted as the Wildcat. I have been thinking about getting a classic American .22 like the Winchester 72 I used to have, that a house fire ruined. Tube fed, bolt action, open sights, walnut stock. These can be had for around $150 or so, mostly because everyone wants the latest nylon or whatever stock. The only problem seems to be deciding which one.

Offline hofferwood

• It's all good
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 11:37:06 AM »
Hiya Jack!!!
I hope all is well.

Chuck
If it aint broke----fix it till it is-----there's nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 01:51:16 PM »
Pretty darn good shootin with iron sights.
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.

Offline TacticalFun

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 04:32:03 PM »
Good shooting!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 06:33:19 PM »
Good shooting Jack. That makes me want to get out all the .22's and burn some ammo.

Offline muddy

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2019, 08:26:08 PM »
Great grouping!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk