Author Topic: Post all of your latest tool buys here  (Read 183325 times)

Offline oldnslo

Re: Post all of your latest tool buys here
« Reply #480 on: January 18, 2021, 07:32:45 AM »
I stopped by a neighborhood garage sale on the way to an errand, and bought a gaggle of non-needed tools and a kids bike for the granddaughter.

The most notable items are a working Cman block grinder that will need a tool rest fabrication on one side for $10, and a 4" long nose Vise Grip in decent shape. I never knew they made them that small. No pics, but you folks know what that stuff looks like.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #481 on: January 18, 2021, 08:14:05 AM »
A Block grinder for $10 is a win any day. Congrats OnS -- post a few pics of that unit when you get a chance. BTW what HP rating does it have ?

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #482 on: January 18, 2021, 09:28:33 AM »
nice buys and at that price who cares what size they are !  :))
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #483 on: January 18, 2021, 10:07:43 AM »
I stopped by a neighborhood garage sale on the way to an errand, and bought a gaggle of non-needed tools and a kids bike for the granddaughter.

The most notable items are a working Cman block grinder that will need a tool rest fabrication on one side for $10, and a 4" long nose Vise Grip in decent shape. I never knew they made them that small. No pics, but you folks know what that stuff looks like.
Petersons, Irwin's , or no name ?
The no names are a dime a dozen and Irwin offers some small ones, but I've never seen a mini pair of Petersons.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #484 on: January 18, 2021, 10:23:24 AM »
Its a 1/4 HP. The front had some metallic blue overspray which has mostly been removed now with lacquer thinner.. The cord was another story, with someone grafting another 10' of a 3-wire extension cord with the ground wire going nowhere. I have that extension now repurposed, and have a 2 prong section that will be put in place at some future time.

If anyone has a lead on that right side housing, do drop me a PM please. I could use blast shields as well, heck even the tool rest would save me from fabrication.

Oh...the 4LN vice grips are Peterson of course. There be NO substitutes or wannabees in this boys toolbox. Exmple pic here: https://www.jensentools.com/vise-grip-4ln-4-long-nose-locking-pliers-with-cutter/p/644wr021

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #485 on: January 18, 2021, 11:58:11 AM »
Its a 1/4 HP. The front had some metallic blue overspray which has mostly been removed now with lacquer thinner.. The cord was another story, with someone grafting another 10' of a 3-wire extension cord with the ground wire going nowhere. I have that extension now repurposed, and have a 2 prong section that will be put in place at some future time.

If anyone has a lead on that right side housing, do drop me a PM please. I could use blast shields as well, heck even the tool rest would save me from fabrication.

Oh...the 4LN vice grips are Peterson of course. There be NO substitutes or wannabees in this boys toolbox. Exmple pic here: https://www.jensentools.com/vise-grip-4ln-4-long-nose-locking-pliers-with-cutter/p/644wr021
Just like my '58 but much less rusty even has no shields and only 1 shelf like mine.

Those petersons are cool, I've tried to find some small ones on Ebay but have came up with anything and assumed they didn't exist.
Now I know what to look for.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #486 on: January 18, 2021, 01:58:59 PM »
Got my TOYO ST350 just a bit ago, and boy it's an amazing little box.

Always lookin' to learn

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #487 on: January 21, 2021, 06:30:36 AM »
NOS Starrett HC530M-20 tape measure.
Satin chrome tape, metric 20 meter, with hook

Been after a NOS Starrett for years, in fact my inability to find one led me to collect NOS Lufkins. Lmao. I'd still love to find an older Starrett with the stitched leather case, but they are uncommon.
Even though this is newer, I am still super-duper pleased I finally found one.

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #488 on: January 21, 2021, 06:12:38 PM »
niiiiice

Offline zktk01

« Reply #489 on: January 28, 2021, 08:06:33 PM »
That is a Nice Tape Measure I have an old beatup Lufkin

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #490 on: January 28, 2021, 09:19:21 PM »
Maybe not a tool in the traditional sense, but it's a tool for keeping me warm  ;)

This 60's Woolrich is warm ,lightweight, and comfortable.
Not great for working in the shop, but I've got a cheap beater jacket for that.

I don't know what this particular pattern of jacket is officially called , I think it most resembles a cruiser but it doesn't really matter.
Luckily it wasn't sold under one of the common hipster bait titles like " Mackinaw cruiser " or " CPO " so I didn't have to pay too much for it.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 10:10:44 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #491 on: January 30, 2021, 05:22:34 PM »
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 05:24:32 PM by jeffmoss26 »

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #492 on: February 05, 2021, 03:48:18 PM »
I was at the hardware store buying a needle valve for the water shutoff to the cooler, and I saw something I was missing from my house /go box.
An American made 8" pipe wrench,
I can't confirm,  but the mobile jaw sure is a dead ringer for a current RIGID and I have no clue who else could have made it.
If you've got any ideas let me know.

It's buttery smooth, and very nicely finished.

I don't know why it was $22 when the 10" was only $19, but I figured what the hell and bought it anyway.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 03:51:14 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline jeffmoss26

« Reply #493 on: February 05, 2021, 07:55:55 PM »
we got a new grinder at  the shop!
https://imgur.com/wdH9C5e

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #494 on: February 05, 2021, 08:53:08 PM »
That Baldor is definitely drool worthy. :great: