Author Topic: My 1986 Chevrolet Silverado K10  (Read 941 times)

Offline oldcarguy

My 1986 Chevrolet Silverado K10
« on: August 27, 2023, 03:00:36 PM »
My 1986 Chevrolet Silverado K10 Square Body Four-Wheel Drive Short-Bed Truck

Old vehicles along with tools & machinery have always been my downfall all my life. It's a defective gene that I was born with. In my mind the pinnacle of motor vehicles rests in cars older than 1915. And the best view of them is behind the wheel. Hence I tour with the older ones around the country the most. However most of my collection are newer.

I took on this “Square Body” Silverado Pickup because of one of my young grandsons. Or maybe it was just me after all. It easy to bring back later model vehicles. Most parts are on the shelves ready to be ordered. It followed me home in my trailer from an auction. In my opinion it was bastardized. Meaning previous owners took liberties to transform it away from factory specs. It left the factory with a 6.2 liter diesel engine and swapped out with a 350 that needed major work. I also rebuilt the transmission, transfer case, universal joints, and both axles. The axles ratios were too steep and I change them over to 2:73 gears. That brought the truck back down to earth. Lowering the truck by six inches by removing the risers and replacing the springs to OEM specs. I removed one set of shocks from the OEM Quad Shock setup to soften the ride.. Replacing the 33's with the proper size tires with the correct whitewall width. Now it's at stock height.

Painted to factory colors and Silverado trim levels. I went onto the interior. Ripping out the botched-up radio, and dashboard and broken vents. Found a like new OEM steering wheel in a junkyard in Wyoming  New window guides and seals along with replacing the tired working power window motors. Added rear seat speaker carpeting. Plus endless other items making it a very presentable and safe driving truck. As with all my other vehicles, it's always and endless process of improvements..

I installed a key fob remote to openers. One thing that GM did not offer back then.

I have a pair of bicycle mounts rigged in the bed that I carry two bicycles and dog trailer to the local bike trail heads
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 03:31:09 PM by oldcarguy »

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: My 1986 Chevrolet Silverado K10
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2023, 05:28:26 PM »
It's a classic for sure. A buddy of mine owned a similar K10, but it was the 1980 Cheyenne version . It was a great hauler. We towed our toys (cars/motorcycles, boats) all over the mid-Atlantic region to various meets and events well into the late 80's. I two-tone painted it for him when the cheap GM paint started to fade and peel. Great memories of that truck.

Offline muddy

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2023, 07:05:21 PM »
A year older then me!

Have a soft spot for square body's (who doesn't) my grandfather had a 78,  2wd 350 with a granny 4 speed..... Util I ran it out of oil on him and threw a rod... I was young and should have known better and still feel bad to this day. We ended up finding him an 87 that still resides on the farm today. (My aunt's use it for when they need a truck.)

My uncle Bought a 76 brand new and still uses it on the farm. Not in the greatest shape but it ain't going anywhere .

My in-laws have an 84 4x4 in red that needs some work supposedly I'm getting that one eventually l, personally I'd rather the Olds 442 in the corn shed :))

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline slip knot

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2023, 08:58:49 PM »
I had the 1500 version with the 305 in it. Nice little trucks. I see them for sale regularly at $15-17K now. IIRC I only paid $13k for mine new! I got $900 trade in for it 180K miles later.

Having worked on the 6.2, I will say the swap to 5.7 gas was a step in the right direction. The 6.2 was a problematic turd.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2023, 10:28:52 PM »
that is an awesome truck. everythiung is so cool........except the white walls.

a set of  white letters would make it  perfect in my book.  :))

i put lots of miles on an 81 4x4 long box that had the 305 replaced with 400 4 bolt main.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2023, 06:33:49 AM »
that is an awesome truck. everythiung is so cool........except the white walls.

a set of  white letters would make it  perfect in my book.  :))

i put lots of miles on an 81 4x4 long box that had the 305 replaced with 400 4 bolt main.

That was a great engine swap Harlan. 305ci small block was somewhat anemic in those days. IIRC, GM also offered their own Diesels in the C/K line at that time.

Offline slip knot

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2023, 05:38:53 PM »
GM did run diesels in those years. IIRC the 5.7 oldsmobile motor was the 1/2 ton option and a 6.2 was the heavier truck option. Neither were very dependable. I remember when the 6.2 first hit the dealership I saw it had a Detroit Diesel sticker on the valve cover and I thought that GM may have had a good one. A few months later  we were pulling the heads and injector pump off for warranty work. All I really remember about that was it took an oddball headbolt, 18MM? I had to buy one off the snappy truck. :021:

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2023, 07:43:33 PM »
I am glad someone agrees that swapping out the tired 6.2 liter diesel to a gas engine was a good move. GM's era of developing diesel engine in the vehicles was a farce. I owned two Oldsmobile fitted with the 350 diesel, one Chevy truck with 350, and two with the 6.2. They sure had their issues back then. But if you pushed GM they would stand behind them They did replace the fuel injector pumps with well over 100,000 miles many times. Unfortunately they didn't want it known they'd fix them out of warranted period. GM set the stage in the US for slow diesel sales. Plus the resale value was pitiful. I had to slip a 350 gas engine in the Oldsmobile to receive any offers.  The other determining factor, in my opinion, diesels don't like to be stored for any length of time. Then the issue of fuel sludge with lengthy storage. They perform best on long runs. Anyhow I had a 350 near ready to drop in  :)

Interesting take on what engine is better in the 80's. Actually I favor the 350 overall for dependability and power. For its' size it packs a lot of punch. In the big block category, the 454 is king. But in earlier years Chevy's small block 327 wins my favorite...

Offline slip knot

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2023, 08:45:41 PM »
The bean counters ruined those early GM diesels. Once they corrected all the deficiencies of cheap head bolts, longer/stronger main bolts and upgraded the IP to a metal drive plate the Goodwrench engines were pretty decent diesel engines. But the damage was already done.

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2023, 07:30:06 AM »
The bean counters ruined those early GM diesels. Once they corrected all the deficiencies of cheap head bolts, longer/stronger main bolts and upgraded the IP to a metal drive plate the Goodwrench engines were pretty decent diesel engines. But the damage was already done.

They did the same thing to the Northstar engines. After all the problems were addressed with regard to the head bolts, water pump, and engine sealing in the 2005-2006 model year, the Northstar was actually a wonderful V8. --- BUT it was too late, and the damage to the engine's reputation was it's downfall. They killed it in 2011.

Offline john k

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2023, 08:24:26 AM »
That is a sharp truck, you did it up right.  But dang that was a lot to correct, bringing it down, undoing all the butchering.  Now you got me thinking of doing the same to my 96 1/2 ton.  Rust worm is too far advanced though, even in the frame.  Or keep on with the 72 Cheyenne Super, but that 402 BB is just too thirsty at 11mpg to do any cruising with.  No problem driving older wheels here.  You didn't say how long this project took?

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2023, 10:40:12 AM »
That is a sharp truck, you did it up right.  But dang that was a lot to correct, bringing it down, undoing all the butchering.  Now you got me thinking of doing the same to my 96 1/2 ton.  Rust worm is too far advanced though, even in the frame.  Or keep on with the 72 Cheyenne Super, but that 402 BB is just too thirsty at 11mpg to do any cruising with.  No problem driving older wheels here.  You didn't say how long this project took?

Like most my antique cars,, It's actually still in the process. Always something. Back to your question.. It was never a priority. so it's been going on for six years