Author Topic: Wouldn't you rather have a Buick?  (Read 850 times)

Offline oldcarguy

Wouldn't you rather have a Buick?
« on: September 01, 2023, 07:41:27 PM »
I have Seven  Buicks to my name. A 1910 Buick F,  1914 roaster 24, 1932 Victoria Coupe 58, 1933 88C Convertible phaeton,, 1937 66C Century rumble seat roaster, 1947 Roadmaster 71 sedan, and a 1964 4747 Riviera coupe. This post is about the '33.

1933 Buick 88C Convertible Sedan

My 1933 Buick restoration was completed 1982. Many feel that it is one of the best looking cars that came out of Detroit. I do, What do you think? Climbing out of the great depression, 1933 was a poor year for auto industry. With only 40,000 Buicks coming off the production line. Of which only124 being the 88C. Mine was one and only three that I know that exist today. It's earns 400 points (perfect score) at most meets.

Here's a picture that I took from an original Buick sales brochure.

Some pictures of my '33 Buick

OEM Pilot Ray Lights turn with steering..Connected to pitman arm

I have a trunk that's been restored. However it would hide the sexy lines of the rear panels. Along with the chrome strips & Buick Emblem on the bottom side of the rack. Needless to say, it sits in storage instead. Striving for detail is important in restorations. The red colored piece on the front side of the rear bumper is called "Stone Guard". Most restored cars have this item left off. Also Generator & Starter Motors should have the proper identification badges riveted in place. 

Popup Cowl Vent. Good old fashion air conditioning.

345 cubic inch straight eight engine. 

Business side of engine. Two barrel updraft carburetor She idles at 270 RPM's

Welcome inside

Dashboard, twin vacuum wipers, Red button to left of clutch peddle is the automatic clutch. My car is the only '33 that working. Push the button, put in first gear, press accelerator then she'll move. Get to speed, simply let off gas and put into second, then accelerate, etc. Works in reverse too..

Ignition lock,, yes it's standard in 1933!

Comfortable leather seating with fold up rear arm rest.

Foot rest on floor. Blanket rack used to store a blankets on for winter driving. No heater in this car. In later years 1950's a rope was used, a carry over from olden times..

up on lift for oil change,,, takes 12 quarts

I drive this car and has 20,000 miles yet underside kept clean for judging

Enclosed torque tube that Buick used for years.. Notice leaf spring covers,, so many cars leave these off.

Rear axle ratio was 4.3:1 normal for a car this size back then. Now has 3.23:1 ratio. With the torque this engine puts out there's no issues. Plus she'll easily cruise at 60 MPH.

Radiators Mascots were very popular in late 1920 through the 1930. Isn't she beautiful? The 1933 Buick came standard with a radiator cap with an “8” facing forward with wigs of the back side.. An option was Isadora Duncan. She was a very famous Modern Dancer in the day noted for wearing a long flowing scarf. Both  on and off the stage. She very flamboyant and had many Love affairs with both men and ladies. Folk lore has it that she had an affair with the president of Buick.. After her trajectory death in 1927. Her scarf was caught up in the spokes of the Stuts while she was in the rumble seat with a lover.. She was 49 years old. Who had this ornament sculptured in her honor. Some story has it was in a Bugotti.   

« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 09:25:25 AM by oldcarguy »

Offline bonneyman

Re: Wouldn't you rather have a Buick?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2023, 09:10:43 PM »
You ARE the old car guy!  Holy Moley!   :bravo_2:

Offline john k

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2023, 12:25:32 AM »
Very very nice Buick.  Such incomparable condition on top or underneath.  Totally understand the 400point worth.  Glad to see it gets on the road.  Had 3 Buicks myself, 49 Super, 59 Invicta convertible with the 401!  And a 72 Gran Sport.  All in other people's garages now. 

Offline jabberwoki

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2023, 09:51:35 AM »
Very nice , that's a beautiful car.
Coming from a Buick guy. :93:
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline john k

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2023, 11:48:40 AM »
In the radiator mascot shot,  the next car over is a 41 Studebaker coupe.  Baby blue,  not as rare as your Buick,  it is just that I have a 41 Studebaker Commander,  sedan. 

Offline slip knot

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2023, 12:10:36 PM »
Thats a beautiful car for sure.

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2023, 06:56:13 PM »
Very nice , that's a beautiful car.
Coming from a Buick guy. :93:

Thanks for the compliment.. I'd say "Ask a man that Owns one." But that's a Packard slogan. Might there be other Buick fans here?

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2023, 06:58:06 PM »
Very very nice Buick.  Such incomparable condition on top or underneath.  Totally understand the 400point worth.  Glad to see it gets on the road.  Had 3 Buicks myself, 49 Super, 59 Invicta convertible with the 401!  And a 72 Gran Sport.  All in other people's garages now.

You have good taste in cars. Buicks no less,, all great cars

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2023, 07:03:41 PM »
In the radiator mascot shot,  the next car over is a 41 Studebaker coupe.  Baby blue,  not as rare as your Buick,  it is just that I have a 41 Studebaker Commander,  sedan.

Crazy how a collector can recognize a car in the background of a picture. I'm not a Studebaker collector. But I noticed it was a Studebaker; but could only guess the year. Though I'd have it within five years.. Studebakers were great cars in their days... 

My favorite Studebaker is the 1932 President. The oval headlamps alone grabs me. But the lines are so smooth, with the low roof line and short windshield.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2023, 07:21:38 PM by oldcarguy »

Offline Heiny57

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2023, 04:51:24 PM »
That is stunning. Thanks for sharing. 👍🏼
MAGA

If you can’t fix it with a hammer, it must be electrical.