Author Topic: Troubles in River City  (Read 1445 times)

Offline oldcarguy

Troubles in River City
« on: September 26, 2023, 09:16:08 PM »

My trusty old Cadillac stopped running at the tour in New York State last week. It simply lost power about 75 miles out one day of the week. We had to pick it up with a friend's trailer. After a closer examination when I returned to Ohio. I found that the distributor was not rotation with the engine. Removing the hood, radiator, and headlamps. I was able to pull off the timing chain covers. All the chains looked okay. Though the one that drives the jack-shaft that powers the generator and water pump had more slack than should be. The cam-shaft chain looked good. Along with the gears that power a third shaft that turns the oil pump and distributor.

Once I removed the distributor sub assembly with the brass gear on the end. I found some of it's teeth were sheared off. And shaven remains were at the bottom of the oil reservoir. This was caused by the mechanical automatic timing advancing mechanism binding up inside the distributor.

Sheared gear along side of extra one on hand.

The hardened steel  gear that drives the brass gear looks okay

Spare distributor

OldCarGuy's vast collection of parts that I have picked up at various times over the past 30 years pays off in spades. Who says hoarding doesn't pay? I have all the needed parts to get her running for next weeks show and tour in Pennsylvania.

I have four days to get this old gal back together and running. Oh but there's another glitch. The alternator on my motor home bit the dust on my return trip from New York as well. I was able to rig a battery charger powered from the 10KW diesel generator to the two engine batteries..  I already removed it and in the process of repairing it at the same time...

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Troubles in River City
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2023, 07:14:49 AM »
Glad you were able to get the old gal fixed back up with parts from your hoarded stash. I can only imagine what the cost and availability would be for an antique Caddy part these days. I imagine it's not like going to Rock Auto, buying one off-the-shelf, and getting it delivered in a few days.

Thanks for sharing OCG -- vey much love the pics.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2023, 07:16:23 AM by goodfellow »

Offline john k

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2023, 08:08:13 AM »
Congrats on having parts for the Cadillac.  Am thinking those gears would be in the unobtanium class.  Immediately had visions of you burning the midnite oil fabricating a new one.  Hope the bearings did not suffer,  so this also drives the oil pump?  Got a question about those drive chains.  Look suspiciously like the chains found in modern 4x4 transfer cases,  you do a little update?  Plus having to repair the motor home electrics,  worked on a few,  have no fond memories of standing on my head in the engine bay.  Am sure the Cadillac will be up and running. 

Online Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2023, 04:06:58 PM »
Interesting stuff.  I'm sure you'll have everything fixed in time.
boop/bop/beep

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2023, 06:38:10 PM »
The chains pictured are the chains that came from the factory.. No upgraded replacement. Interesting something that's over 100 years old has not been improved on today. The oil pump runs off a cam a little farther down the shaft that turns the distributor gear. It's a piston style pump that forces oil to a sight glass on the dash panel. So you know it working,, recommend five drops a minute. Then it goes to the top of the chain cover supplying oil to the chains. Copper line pictured in front assembly. Any overflow from the chain  case returns to the crank case.. Topping off for loss oil from the engine. There actually no dipstick to check the crankcase oil level. The engine is a total splash oiling system other than the one line mentioned. Dippers on the bottom of the connecting rods throw oil in and around crankcase. The dippers are angled to throw the oil in a rearward direction. Carried to vital lubricating spots in a series of oil troughs. There are baffles between the connecting rods on the bottom of crankcase so the oil doesn't flow to the rear when climbing long grades. Starving front rods from going dry.. It's amazing how the engine designers figure all this out...   

As time goes by it get harder to come across any parts for most 100 year old antique cars. However Ford is an exception. Most every part for the Model T (1908-1927) and model A (1928-1931) are reproduced and on the shelf. The good news is that I still have another spare gear assemble waiting to be needed.

I started reassembling the old gal this morning. I had to drain, flush, and refill the oil reservoir. Install the distributor and chain cover. Bolt the radiator in place and install hoses.

The motor home alternator has been totally disassembled, cleaned, new bearings and diodes. Ready to installed.

Leese Neville 300 Amp Alternator is huge compared to the average car.

It belongs to the left of the rear pusher engine. Fun to install.. Darn thing must weigh in near 100 pounds.

« Last Edit: September 27, 2023, 06:41:07 PM by oldcarguy »

Offline muddy

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2023, 06:43:35 PM »
Where in PA are you headed?

Sent from my Twisted Mind Of The Mudman

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2023, 06:44:14 PM »
Nice work!   :PDT_Armataz_01_37:

I doubt very many people exist in the country who could repair a vintage vehicle like that.

And I agree with the hoarding of parts. I try to stay stocked up so if something breaks on the weekend (which they usually do) I can fix it then and not wait for the parts place to open.

Offline john k

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2023, 10:47:22 PM »
Good going!  Cadillac already going.  Bet that radiator is hefty,  the multi-link chains are phenomenal, for that time period?

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2023, 12:00:14 PM »

Most all car collectors around the world know where I'll be at. The Hershey Antique Car flea market, car show, and car corral no less. Happens the first week in October since 1955. There are 9,000 flea market vendors, over 1,000 cars in the car coral Both lasting four full days. Along 1,200 cars are judged on Friday. All this cover 100 plus acres. To see all the vendors take walking total of 25 miles of walking. I have done that for 40 years.

Here's a few pictures of an earlier Hershey flea market. Here's two views at an overpass of two easterly fields. And there are two more in the west direction. Plus fields past what you see here.. As far as the eye can see!

Old wrenches of many types

One of the 9,000 vendor selling head lamps

Gas pumps

You never know what you'll find in the flea market.. Like this Old steam powered Loco Motorcycle

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2023, 12:02:16 PM »
Nice work!   :PDT_Armataz_01_37:

I doubt very many people exist in the country who could repair a vintage vehicle like that.

And I agree with the hoarding of parts. I try to stay stocked up so if something breaks on the weekend (which they usually do) I can fix it then and not wait for the parts place to open.

There are more people than you can imagine can repair these old cars.

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2023, 12:04:59 PM »
Good going!  Cadillac already going.  Bet that radiator is hefty,  the multi-link chains are phenomenal, for that time period?

That radiator weighs a ton,, lot of solder holding it together,, Plus its' size makes it difficult to handle. I used my bridge crane to help with the installation..

Offline john k

« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2023, 08:32:02 PM »
Heard about Hershey for a long time,  only made it that far east once, and not Penn.  It looks like a  great place to part with ones spare dollars,  and stretch ones arms carrying goodies back to the truck.  Love swap meets.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2023, 09:15:17 PM »
nice work on the caddy!

i bet you only needed a few wrench sizes to work on it....and no metric!
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline muddy

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2023, 10:12:07 PM »

Most all car collectors around the world know where I'll be at. The Hershey Antique Car flea market, car show, and car corral no less. Happens the first week in October since 1955. There are 9,000 flea market vendors, over 1,000 cars in the car coral Both lasting four full days. Along 1,200 cars are judged on Friday. All this cover 100 plus acres. To see all the vendors take walking total of 25 miles of walking. I have done that for 40 years.

Here's a few pictures of an earlier Hershey flea market. Here's two views at an overpass of two easterly fields. And there are two more in the west direction. Plus fields past what you see here.. As far as the eye can see!

Old wrenches of many types

One of the 9,000 vendor selling head lamps

Gas pumps

You never know what you'll find in the flea market.. Like this Old steam powered Loco Motorcycle

Yep Hershey is huge! Wasn't sure if you were going to Carlisle Fall show/swap meet that is this weekend.

Offline oldcarguy

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2023, 10:17:15 AM »

There's a saying, “If you cannot find what you need at the Hershey swap meet,,, It doesn't exist.” But finding it may be difficult. I'm always amazed at what treasures I come across over the years. One such item was a generator voltage regulator for my 1930 Packard. It was an OEM Northeast new old stock in the original box no less. Most would have overlooked it, as it was at a vendor that was selling unrelated items... I was quick to depart with it for a mere $10.00.

I was actually planning to take in the Carlisle swap meet after my tour in New York. Rather than returning to Ohio then leave for Hershey a week later. It's about an hour's drive between the two meets. However with the onset of the Cadillac's breakdown changed that plan...