Author Topic: 1969 Peter Max Clock Radio  (Read 1104 times)

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
1969 Peter Max Clock Radio
« on: December 15, 2023, 05:11:26 PM »
As some of you may be aware, I repair and collect radios.  Most are VW-specific car radios and many are tube models from the '30s to '60s with a few transistor ones thrown in.

About a week ago a local radio club member invited us to his place to help clean out an outbuilding filled with old radios and radio-related items.  This 1969-70 Peter Max GE clock radio followed me home.  I'm sure many of you remember him from the various posters and his use of bright colors.

It seems GE contracted the '60s artist Peter Max to design/decorate some radios, clocks and a clock-radio to appeal the young generation.  Because of the intended audience of these the case screws are some type of anti-tamper.  While I may end up just using a small needle-nose to remove them has anyone every dealt with these?  Its like a Phillips screw except the center is raised rather than recessed.  I will replace any filter capacitors and do a thorough cleaning along with a search for a knob to replace the one on the top that will look more appropriate.
Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline jabberwoki

Re: 1969 Peter Max Clock Radio
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2023, 06:30:29 PM »
Thats totally cool.
Is the need enough? Or does the want suffice?

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2023, 07:17:42 PM »
The fastener looks like a very crude tri-wing security screw profile Nick. Could very well be proprietary because I've never seen a tri-wing with a raised center like that. Is that a solid state radio, or does it still have some tubes?

Offline muddy

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2023, 07:41:18 PM »
That thing is groovy!

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Offline stokester

• Air-cooled!
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2023, 07:10:01 AM »
The fastener looks like a very crude tri-wing security screw profile Nick. Could very well be proprietary because I've never seen a tri-wing with a raised center like that. Is that a solid state radio, or does it still have some tubes?

It's a solid-state Hong Kong model typical of the late '60s into the '70s.

Finally was able to disassemble it yesterday.  Those anti-tamper screws lived up to their name as it was a very long, patience-trying process with a small side cutter and needle nose to get them out.  They laughed at my attempt to drill out the center and because they are recessed there was no access to the edges. 

The outer plastic case has yellowed and is brittle from age and exposure but I'll give it a good cleaning and polish.  I don't expect much from the radio as it appears to be a single transistor so performance will be marginal but the electrolytic caps will be replaced along with the burned out fluorescent back light bulb.

I found out Peter Max is still alive -> https://petermax.com/

More to come!

Nick
Yorktown, VA

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2024, 09:00:13 PM »
Totally cool, I love oddball stuff like that!
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!