Author Topic: USA made prybars at Walmart  (Read 9558 times)

Offline DeadNutz

USA made prybars at Walmart
« on: January 03, 2019, 11:56:19 AM »
Thanks to the tip from Hickory & Steel I went to Walmart to check out the USA made Hyper Tough prybars with the striking cap. They look exactly like the Craftsman except for a slightly lighter colored handle. I grabbed a 25" bar for $9.84 which is a pretty good deal. They are priced as follows: 8"-$6.84, 12"-$7.84, 17"-$8.84, 25"-$9.84. Sears does have a set of 12", 17", 25" on sale for $24.99 normally $39.99 and I checked availability and I could pick them up a week from now for that price at K-Mart at Lake Tahoe. The 30 mile each way trip would wipe out the $1.50 savings by the gas and time I would burn. I think Bruce would really appreciate and like the hangtag on it.

I also picked up a 3 LED extendable flex flashlight with a 2lb capacity magnet surrounding the light which could help retrieving something dropped in a dark place. It extends to 22" and was on clearance for $4.

Offline hickory n Steel

Re: USA made prybars at Walmart
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 12:24:10 PM »
Glad I brought them to your attention, I may have to pick one up just because they're American made and affordable.

That flashlight is a good deal too, I got the bell and Howell branded version when they came out a probably 7 years ago and it was $10.
Theyre all the same no matter the brand and definitely are not worth $10, but $4 sure they're worth it .
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 12:27:02 PM by hickory n Steel »
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Conductor562

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 11:41:08 PM »
“Great idea guys. Let’s sell an decent quality American made tool, and give it the chintziest, most generic name possible!”

Hyper Tough Management

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2019, 12:19:30 AM »
“Great idea guys. Let’s sell an decent quality American made tool, and give it the chintziest, most generic name possible!”

Hyper Tough Management
I've heard Popular Mechanic was once Walmarts house brand name for tools, and while Hyper tough isn't a great name I'd say it beats sharing a name with a magazine  ;D

I've got a US made Popular Mechanics tape measure and I assumed it was a send away promotional items out of the back of their magazine.
Always lookin' to learn

Online goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2019, 06:49:21 AM »
LOL -- Who cares what the name is, as long as it's a great tool.  :) :) :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Craftsman striker cap bars made by Mayhew Steel Products, while the plain plastic handle models were made by Wilde Industries?

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 08:06:50 AM »
It may be less important today but historically brand names were important and companies spent a lot of money developing them. Even HF puts a lot of faith in the names they use.

Wallmart generics usually go under the brand name Equate. That name implies a lot and whoever thought it up was pretty on the ball.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline skfarmer

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 09:16:05 AM »
LOL -- Who cares what the name is, as long as it's a great tool.  :) :) :)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't the Craftsman striker cap bars made by Mayhew Steel Products, while the plain plastic handle models were made by Wilde Industries?
yes i believe the cman pro were mayhew. towards the end of the standard cman  production of the us made prybars there was a change. the handles stayed a solid red but gained a slight textures and a metal cap. it is commonly known that wilde made the old ones but i don't know for sure if they made the last ones. the were only around a few months and are now replaced by imports.
from the ashes shall rise a phoenix

i was here when the hangout turned into mexican food site!

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2019, 10:08:17 AM »
Gang,

The Craftsman Professional prybars were made by Mayhew.

I have one of the recent (bought 1 year ago) Craftsman prybars with striking cap and red textured handle.  It has the P series code and USA stamped on the handle; this code has been associated with Wilde for decades.  And, given that Wilde was the OEM for previous smooth handled prybars, I think there is little question of the maker.

Of course, it is also possible that Sears is selling different prybars today that are sourced in China.  But they would not be labeled USA and would not have the P series code stamped on them.  Just saying...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 10:12:44 AM by lauver »
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline ken w.

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2019, 11:41:49 AM »
I took a look at these last week. They only had the short ones in stock. I would have bought a couple of long ones to try out.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2019, 01:19:31 PM »
It may be less important today but historically brand names were important and companies spent a lot of money developing them. Even HF puts a lot of faith in the names they use.

Wallmart generics usually go under the brand name Equate. That name implies a lot and whoever thought it up was pretty on the ball.
They also have Great Value branded products , and in.my experience a lot of it actually is.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Conductor562

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2019, 05:58:07 PM »
Equate is their health & beauty brand and Great Value is the grocery brand. They use lots of house brand names. I’m cool with that, I just think I’d have come up with something that rolled off the tongue a little better than Hyper Tuff

JMO

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2019, 06:24:41 PM »
Equate is their health & beauty brand and Great Value is the grocery brand. They use lots of house brand names. I’m cool with that, I just think I’d have come up with something that rolled off the tongue a little better than Hyper Tuff

JMO
Something like benchmaster or workmaster sounds better, but maybe every name that sounded good was unavailable ?
Always lookin' to learn

Offline muddy

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2019, 08:38:51 PM »
Neat I'll have to swing by and check them out.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2019, 09:26:59 PM »
Neat I'll have to swing by and check them out.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
It's the red handled ones sold individually, not the green handled ones that come in a set.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2019, 12:35:31 PM »

JMO

Big Boy Tools

Ruff n Tumble

Strongman

Git her Done

:))
boop/bop/beep