Author Topic: 1/4" drive ratchet comparison  (Read 3917 times)

Offline bonneyman

1/4" drive ratchet comparison
« on: January 06, 2019, 03:21:15 PM »
After finding that little Matco AR4 the other day I decided to line it up with my other users and see how it compared. Here's what I've got:
EASCO Paint brush                             EASCO RHFT
Plumb                                               Bonney V-702
Blackhawk                                         Thorsen 77MC
Snappy FM71                                     SK 40970
Thorsen open gear                             Matco AR4

By the way, what did Matco call these ratchets? Or is there a trade name applied to the style?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 04:40:08 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

Re: 1/4" drive ratchet comparison
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2019, 03:23:44 PM »
As you can see, none of the others have as small a head profile as the Matco, and virtually all of the handles are short (for my hand). Funny how different drive size ratchet of the same brand are so different. I love the SK 3/8" roundhead, but the corresponding 1/4"er is just too small.
The only other "ergo" style rat I have is the paint brush handle. But it dwarfs the Matco on all counts - though very comfortable to hold.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 03:31:02 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2019, 03:27:21 PM »
The Thorsen open gear is smaller and thinner overall - with the gear cover removed. And you can't fault it's durability. But it's not a fine tooth ratchet (actually it's quite coarse), so, when needing such a thin rat you kinda need fine action as your clearance is typically limited in these situations. So, the Thorsen falls short here.
No other 1/4" ratchet that I've held in my hand is as nimble and small as the Matco. Plus, it's ergo handle gets bigger toward the end, making it surprisingly easy to hold for such a small thing. All around a great tool! Too bad they've discontinued it.  >:(
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 04:27:03 PM by bonneyman »

Offline bonneyman

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2019, 03:30:05 PM »
I might do a similar comparison on my 3/8" rats if you guys want. I can already see that the results of that comparison will be totally different. (Though I don't have a Matco BR8 rat to compare to.)

Offline muddy

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 05:52:25 PM »
I might do a similar comparison on my 3/8" rats if you guys want. I can already see that the results of that comparison will be totally different. (Though I don't have a Matco BR8 rat to compare to.)
Would love to see a comparison of the 3/8 and maybe even 1/2!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline Davethorik

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2019, 10:49:07 AM »
Those Matco round heads were made by Wright. Wright even offers that handle style as their "contour grip."