Author Topic: How common are PROAMERICA wrenches ?  (Read 18275 times)

Offline hickory n Steel

How common are PROAMERICA wrenches ?
« on: January 07, 2019, 11:35:01 AM »
Ok so late last night ( only around 8:30pm, but late when you've been up since 3:00am ) looking for wrenches when I stumbled on a great condition 12pc PROAMERICA SAE combo set for $42 +shipping.
The listing says PROAMERICA and the brand is listed as PROAMERICA and they looked great so I ordered them.
The problem is that I didn't read deeply enough into the description and didn't catch that there are 3 fillers, 1 Thorsen and two Williams.
If the condition on them is good enough I'll get by just fine, but I'll never be happy with them unless I have a complete set.

The 15/16 is a Thorsen, the 1/4 and 3/8 are Williams.

So are PROAMERICA wrenches common enough that I might be able to to find these before I go crazy ?
I'll probably keep them either way but I wanna know what I've gotten myself into.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: How common are PROAMERICA wrenches ?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 11:40:45 AM »
IIRC Pro-America is the company that started out as KAL tools. Pro-America are rare -- i.e., they were not main stream commercial sellers, but they did have a slew of government contracts and sold lots of hand tools to Uncle Sam. They have a web site -- call and ask whether the wrenches are still manufactured, or available at retail. The site only lists pliers at this time --

https://www.proamericatools.com/main.sc

« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 11:42:50 AM by goodfellow »

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 11:58:00 AM »
Old post. Non GG website, but here's one possible 15/16 source.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125908

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 01:09:33 PM »
Here's the 3/8" -- but kinda pricey

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PRO-AMERICA-PREMIUM-TOOLS-3-8-COMBINATION-WRENCH-12-POINT-2012-M2329-2/401155106930?hash=item5d66b52872:g:8BUAAOSwWdZZaPHf:rk:22:pf:0
I actually found that same one for $7 on Amazon but these are a Matte chrome that I ordered.

I suppose I just might have to stop being so picky and deal with the set as is and gradually find the 3 wrenches I need.
In the meantime, at least the 3 fillers are of quality make.

The pictures aren't that great, and I suppose that's why I didn't realize 3 didn't match.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 08:11:24 PM »
H&S,

I find a goodly number of used ProAmerica tools in my area.  Probably because I'm near a large Army base.  Also, a lot of the tools I find have military-looking inventory numbers etched into them. 

I'll keep my eyes open for the combo wrenches you are missing.  It looks like the wrench set you bought have satin finish with polished heads, correct?
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 10:03:30 PM »
H&S,

I find a goodly number of used ProAmerica tools in my area.  Probably because I'm near a large Army base.  Also, a lot of the tools I find have military-looking inventory numbers etched into them. 

I'll keep my eyes open for the combo wrenches you are missing.  It looks like the wrench set you bought have satin finish with polished heads, correct?
Yep satin with polished heads
And thanks for the offer to keep an eye out for me .
Always lookin' to learn

Offline Rusty

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 04:52:31 AM »
At one time they were common military surplus.
"Those wars are unjust which are undertaken without provocation.
 For only a war waged for revenge or defense can be just"

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 04:54:51 PM »
Rusty,

Yes, and I have found a lot of KAL tools at the same location.
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 11:51:17 AM »
Rusty,

Yes, and I have found a lot of KAL tools at the same location.
I figured they'd have to be semi common if I have a PROAMERICA extension and pair of KAL pliers.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 02:34:23 PM »
My wrenches got here and I'm blown away.
First of all, the Thorsen 15/16 which is in just as minty of condition as everything else ( unused but some light toolbox wear ) is the only filler piece.
This set never came with a 1/4" or 3/8, this was a Williams doe that was thrown in, and is also in minty condition.
I actually got 13 wrenches

The roll they came in is super thick and sturdy as well, it's unmarked so I'm assuming it was not a civilian sale item.

Sorry for the hello Kitty pic, but the overcast and rain is hindering me.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 07:03:31 PM »
I think some of these wrenches were use once, and others absolutely not at all.
This is the open end of the 1" and the Thorsen 15/16.

Even the little Williams doe they tossed in is as minty ( minus the original owner putting his initials on it )
Always lookin' to learn

Offline four.cycle

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 08:36:31 PM »
Proamerica Tools, Baldwin Park, California currently offers only pliers in its product lineup.
They are not really concerned with sales directly to the consumer, because the great majority of their product is made for private-label accounts (Tekton, Proto, and others.)
KAL Tools is essentially one and the same company, but KAL is now strictly government/military contract stuff.
The Proamerica wrenches (and most of the socket sets) that you'll find on Ebay are generally military surplus.
As far as product quality, I picked up a set of Proamerica short-profile double-end metric box wrenches a couple years ago, and they appear to be pretty well made - fit and finish isn't as snazzy as a Snap-on or an S-K or an Armstrong, but they'll get the job done.

If you are searching for a particular item on Ebay, search both "proamerica" and "pro america" - because of the way the name is stamped on the tool you will find listings both ways.

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 08:54:56 PM »
Proamerica Tools, Baldwin Park, California currently offers only pliers in its product lineup.
They are not really concerned with sales directly to the consumer, because the great majority of their product is made for private-label accounts (Tekton, Proto, and others.)
KAL Tools is essentially one and the same company, but KAL is now strictly government/military contract stuff.
The Proamerica wrenches (and most of the socket sets) that you'll find on Ebay are generally military surplus.
As far as product quality, I picked up a set of Proamerica short-profile double-end metric box wrenches a couple years ago, and they appear to be pretty well made - fit and finish isn't as snazzy as a Snap-on or an S-K or an Armstrong, but they'll get the job done.

If you are searching for a particular item on Ebay, search both "proamerica" and "pro america" - because of the way the name is stamped on the tool you will find listings both ways.
Thanks.
All I really need is the 15/16 since as it turns out there never was a 1/4 or 3/8 in my set, so my search may not be too long.

Now this roll is a pretty bulky thing so if I end up with a pegboard arrangement when I build my workbench I may want those two sizes to match my set.
I'm getting to far ahead of myself though.
Always lookin' to learn

Offline hickory n Steel

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 09:07:49 PM »
I just found this in the box, I'd say I'm probably right about these being military surplus .

They came from San Diego , so Camp Pendleton maybe ?
Always lookin' to learn