Author Topic: Tool chests  (Read 13029 times)

Offline muddy

Tool chests
« on: January 13, 2019, 02:47:24 PM »
I'm looking into getting some more storage for my work box.

I'm looking at new budget brands, as I will not pay tool truck prices for a new box.

That being said I'd gladly buy a truck brand at fair used price.

Anyway here are the ones I'm seeing locally....

The HF is a known good one. I have a tool cart from them and am happy with it it is solid build and nicely made for the $$$.

https://m.harborfreight.com/tool-storage/tool-chests-roller-cabinets/44-in-double-bank-red-top-chest-64158.html

The Craftsmans I see at Lowe's I don't believe are worth the asking price. The seem fairly well built but below par for their price range. The bottom rollers rock on their wheels. The drawers have a "soft closing feature" that makes the drawers stiff to open. Maybe that would wear in over time.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-2000-Series-40-5-in-W-x-24-5-in-H-8-Drawer-Ball-bearing-Steel-Tool-Chest-Black/1000624919?AID=11554726&PID=1796839&SID=wtbs_5c3ba2e2ea6dee79887f83b5&cm_mmc=AFF_CJ-_-1796839-_-1634220-_-11554726&cjevent=d72094a1177311e9835e03ad0a24060e#sku=CMST24182BK

I haven't seen the new huskys in person. I first started my career with a double stack husky. It help up pretty well as I may have had it a bit overloaded. That being said it was the lower grade model so it was definitely no snap on, I'd even say it was less then a US General.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Industrial-52-in-W-x-21-2-in-D-6-Drawer-Top-Tool-Chest-in-Textured-Black-H52CH6HD/303411383

Thoughts? Anyone have other suggestions?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
Re: Tool chests
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 02:54:16 PM »
I have the HF chest, and to be honest Tim, I don't like it much. Not that it isn't well made, but I hate the drawer space the most. I like chests with lots of shallow drawers to maximize storage of smaller tools, manuals, odds n' ends, extensions, sundries, taps, drills, etc. The HF drawers are too deep and there's too few of them.

Just my $0.02  -- for what it's worth. Good luck with your search -

Offline Lookin4_67GalaxieConv

• Ran when parked
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 03:41:40 PM »
I've been seeing more Snap On KRL 722s on the used market here lately for $1,500 and less.  These are 24" deep, and seem designed pretty well.  I think you'd get the most bang for your buck if you can find one.  May have to travel a bit to get one.
boop/bop/beep

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 05:36:22 PM »
I have the HF chest, and to be honest Tim, I don't like it much. Not that it isn't well made, but I hate the drawer space the most. I like chests with lots of shallow drawers to maximize storage of smaller tools, manuals, odds n' ends, extensions, sundries, taps, drills, etc. The HF drawers are too deep and there's too few of them.

Just my $0.02  -- for what it's worth. Good luck with your search -

Deep drawers has always been the downfall of HF boxes. Sadly, that is really the only problem with them now if you ask me.
You boys better hold on cause I'm gonna have to stand on it!

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 05:54:55 PM »
I like the idea of those deep top sections on the Cman and Husky boxes. Look like they'd be a good way of securing all the cordless chargers and such. Though I've never really liked the top section of conventional chests. Too high up to be useful and becomes a catch-all for junk.

Two of the HF 26" chests might work better if that is a concern. I'm guessing they'd fit since one of the boxes Tim linked is a 52".

Offline goodfellow

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 06:20:08 PM »
Yes, the smaller 26" chests are a great deal, and very reminiscent of what Craftsman/Waterloo used to build. I agree -- two of those would be a great setup. 

Offline DeadNutz

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 07:05:52 PM »
I looked at the new Craftsman rollers at Lowes and was not impressed. Their closing system is way too stiff as Tim mentioned and I don't like having to jerk a drawer to open it. I bought a 40" CM about 3-4 yrs ago and it has the grip-latch drawers which work really well as you lift the handle to release it and it closes securely and won't open when you move the box.

Offline muddy

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 07:22:02 PM »
I have a Mac Tech1000 I bought off Phil years ago, also a HF side Cabinet in the side and a 25" 6 drawer Waterloo chest on top.

I didn't realize the one was 52" wide. Unfortunately the Tech1000 is only 50" wide. So two 25" boxes would JUST fit.

I'm not sure I'd have a problem the bigger drawers as I have a fair amount of blow mold cases that would work perfectly in them.

But yes I do like the shallower drawer set up. The larger drawers do become useless at a point.

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 07:42:00 PM »
How deep is that MAC box front to back? The new HF are 22" so might be too deep.

Also look at maybe ditching some of the blow molded cases. Those things eat space.

Offline muddy

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 07:43:59 PM »

How deep is that MAC box front to back? The new HF are 22" so might be too deep.

Also look at maybe ditching some of the blow molded cases. Those things eat space.

It's 25" deep.

Alot if the blow molds are there because the things in them would be a mess out side a case.

Offline highland512

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2019, 07:45:57 AM »
Do you have a Menards near by? If I was buying a new box today it would be from Menards, IMO they are built as well as the HF with better slides and drawer latches.
https://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/tool-storage/tool-chests/masterforce-reg-41-x-24-8-drawer-tool-chest/me4108ch1gmm/p-1490163925502.htm

Offline fatfillup

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 09:08:31 AM »
YOu should have bought that Mac locker I had several years ago,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it was Muddy orange too :D

Offline muddy

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2019, 08:39:51 PM »
Do you have a Menards near by? If I was buying a new box today it would be from Menards, IMO they are built as well as the HF with better slides and drawer latches.
https://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/tool-storage/tool-chests/masterforce-reg-41-x-24-8-drawer-tool-chest/me4108ch1gmm/p-1490163925502.htm

No no Menards near by unfortunately.

Offline lauver

• Proto Bet'R Grip Whore
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2019, 10:05:40 PM »
muddy,

Here's an idea.  Forget the chest(s).

Instead, get yourself two HF 26"w x 22"d 8-drawer roll cabs.  You'll be "rolling" in TONS of good usable drawer space.  List price is ~ $299 per cab, but often on sale for less. 

You'll be set for life, and because they're on wheels you can easily reconfigure your shop as your projects change.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 10:10:17 PM by lauver »
When my wife leaves me, my dog dies, and they repossess my home, I'll still have my tools.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2019, 07:10:56 AM »

In my opinion, anything in a blow molded case does not get stored in my box/roller.

Offline muddy

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2019, 07:51:53 AM »
muddy,

Here's an idea.  Forget the chest(s).

Instead, get yourself two HF 26"w x 22"d 8-drawer roll cabs.  You'll be "rolling" in TONS of good usable drawer space.  List price is ~ $299 per cab, but often on sale for less. 

You'll be set for life, and because they're on wheels you can easily reconfigure your shop as your projects change.
That's a great idea, but this is for at work. The box stays in one spot, and I'm already at the widest I can squeeze in I need to go up.

Offline muddy

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2019, 07:52:44 AM »

In my opinion, anything in a blow molded case does not get stored in my box/roller.
If it we're at home I'd say the same thing, however for work I like to have everything that is mine inside my box.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2019, 12:06:40 PM »

If it we're at home I'd say the same thing, however for work I like to have everything that is mine inside my box.

Would they allow you to mount a lockable cabinet to the wall somewhere?

Offline Matt_T

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2019, 12:23:32 PM »
Replacing the side box with this locker might work for the blow molded cases.

https://www.harborfreight.com/16-in-Red-End-Locker-64157.html

Offline muddy

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2019, 07:54:38 PM »
There only about 4 blow mold cases that are a pain, it actually the small items that create the most clutter.

Offline J.A.F.E.

• Resident Alien
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2019, 09:10:03 PM »
Drawer organization is one of the reasons I think Lista does so well in spite of the cost. They seem to have figured ways to divide up the drawers without eating much room and it's flexible.

The big players seem to have no problem selling lots of boxes so finding solutions isn't much of a priority.
People who confuse etymology and entomology bug me in ways I can’t put into words.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2019, 08:15:46 AM »
I think many of the boxes with the big deep drawers or possibly sold to guys that might not take the time to stop and think about how bad those big deep drawers will answer their needs. I suppose if you are the kind of guy that keeps all of his sets of sockets and wrenches and everything in boxes then deep drawers might not be such a big deal to you. But for guys that fill each drawer with socket rails and individual pieces the downside of those big deep drawers becomes evident very quickly.

Offline RustFarmer

« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2019, 12:27:40 PM »
I didn't realize the one was 52" wide. Unfortunately the Tech1000 is only 50" wide. So two 25" boxes would JUST fit.

Build a short overhanging balcony with 2 x 4s, then throw two large 26'" chests on top.  Two 26" are cheaper and easier to DIY move than one 52".

Offline muddy

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2019, 05:49:30 PM »
Looked at the HF one today. My thoughts are that GF is right and the drawers are too deep. They could work, but I'll keep looking around before I buy one.

They sure had options of colors on their carts, red, blue, green, orange....

« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 05:51:56 PM by muddy »

Offline slip knot

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2019, 06:49:53 PM »
I bought two of the HF 42inch bottoms several years ago. Have really enjoyed the space. I'm not getting the dislike for the deep drawers? That's where the bulky items like pullers and pneumatic tools go.

Offline muddy

« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2019, 07:42:49 PM »
I bought two of the HF 42inch bottoms several years ago. Have really enjoyed the space. I'm not getting the dislike for the deep drawers? That's where the bulky items like pullers and pneumatic tools go.
It's not that the deep drawers are bad, it's the number of them.

Offline mdlbldrmatt135

« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2019, 09:09:43 AM »
It's not that the deep drawers are bad, it's the number of them.

I seem to remember someone ( don't recall what web forum) ordering the shallower drawers from HF at one point...   the only issue was they seemed to take the slow boat from China to get to them.   I'm pretty sure the drawers fit right in with no problems, as the slides are evenly spaced.

Offline Uncle Buck

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2019, 03:57:26 PM »

I keep most all my pullers in a dedicated wall cabinet. Until recently I had all of my air stuff in the bottom deep drawer of my box, but recently moved them to a heavy BB deep drawer office bench I repainted for shop use and now store as much heavy and bulky stuff as I can there.

Of course, being as all of my work is at home I can likely consider options others cannot.